Post a reply

Re: Snooker: Changes You’d Like To See

Postby donthittheblue

Change the dress code to:

*A polo shirt, one-colour (choice of navy, black, grey; inoffensive),- short sleeve.
*Limited to WS logo, and 2 sponsor logos on polo shirt. (TC logo replaces a sponsor logo.)
*A pair of jeans (blue....)
*Black rockport boots
*Black socks
*No watches, or wrist/hand adornments excepting wedding rings and engagement rings + charity wristbands for charities the event is supporting..

More casual and in keeping with the sport, but stops Dominic Dale turning up in something that would make willy wonker look well dressed (whats hapenned to him anyway?)

Postby donthittheblue

Iranu wrote:God forbid a player wears a shirt colour you deem inappropriate...

They can wear what they want in their spare time. At the table the colours should be as inoffensive/plain as possible.

Postby Iranu

donthittheblue wrote:

They can wear what they want in their spare time. At the table the colours should be as inoffensive/plain as possible.

Why?

Postby donthittheblue

Iranu wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:

Why?

Decorum.

Postby Iranu

donthittheblue wrote:
Iranu wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:

Why?

Decorum.

I don’t understand, what does shirt colour have to do with decorum? It’s not like it’s a funeral.

Personally I’d say a coloured shirt looks smarter than a black/grey polo but YMMV.

Postby donthittheblue

Iranu wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:
Iranu wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:

Why?

Decorum.

I don’t understand, what does shirt colour have to do with decorum? It’s not like it’s a funeral.

Personally I’d say a coloured shirt looks smarter than a black/grey polo but YMMV.

You wear jeans to funerals?

No, it's about not having colours that are obnoxious and could detract from the on table action.

Postby donthittheblue

HappyCamper wrote:Decorum means all the players dressing like teenagers working weekends in an high street electronics shop.

Hardly....

Postby Iranu

donthittheblue wrote:
Iranu wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:Decorum.

No, it's about not having colours that are obnoxious and could detract from the on table action.

What? No. I was talking about shirts. Presumably you’d want the same colour limitation on shirts if you had the choice.

I don’t understand why a shirt would detract from the on table action :shrug:

Postby donthittheblue

Iranu wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:
Iranu wrote:

What? No. I was talking about shirts. Presumably you’d want the same colour limitation on shirts if you had the choice.

I spelt out the polo shirt colour limitations,,,

tv lights wouldn't work with bright shirts..

Postby Iranu

donthittheblue wrote:
Iranu wrote:
donthittheblue wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I spelt out the polo shirt colour limitations,,,

tv lights wouldn't work with bright shirts..

Yes but we were having a conversation about shirts.

I’ve watched plenty of matches with Dale and been able to focus on the table.

Postby donthittheblue

Iranu wrote:.

Yes but we were having a conversation about shirts.

I’ve watched plenty of matches with Dale and been able to focus on the table.[/quote]

Either way when have you wore a polo shirt to a funeral?

Postby PLtheRef

These threads always make an interesting read.

After a decade of the 'Hearn' era, snooker finds itself arguably in the best shape it has been since the heyday of the mid to late 1980s. Nowadays, the majority of its knockers in the media are those journalists who show a feigned interest at the start of a World Championship whilst trying to perpetuate a myth of a sport struggling and likewise try to compare viewing figures nowadays with hundreds of channels more to a one-off peak at the conclusion of a gripping World Championship Final in a very different television era, and as proud as snooker should be of having an audience of 18 1/2 million - that shouldn't be the benchmark to which all coverage is compared to.

From a personal perspective, one rule I would like to see is one which would close a potential loophole where a foul might lead to an unintended advantage. - Example - Player A is 32 points ahead with 35 remaining. He pots the remaining red but also goes in off as he does so. This means Player B comes to the table 28 points behind, but with the red having been potted, now needs a snooker which he didn't need before.

What I'd like to see in that scenario is the final red be replaced (either on the highest available spot or directly in the middle between the pink and black spots) so that the player receiving the penalty points isn't at any disadvantage.

From a rankings perspective, I think the OOM system works well enough, though I do feel on principle prize money for different events should be on some sort of comparative scale with the Crucible - i.e. if the World Championship prize is £500,000 for winning 71 frames, then there shouldn't be an event of the same prize money with short-format matches. - As well as this, the Shootout, shouldn't be a ranking event.

From an events perspective, I'm one of is firmly in the camp that the UK Championship has been devalued somewhat by the reduction in the matches nine years ago, and though it is great to see the longer format matches coming back somewhat in terms of two session matches in the later stages of the China Open, International Championship and especially in the Tour Championship, all of these have left the UK looking a little left behind, especially now the Semi-Finals are also over the Best of 11.

If I could change the UK Championship, I would reduce the final field to 64 players in York and play the Last 64 over Best of 11 in the Barbican in the three days before TV coverage started at the Last 32, that would mean you could play on two tables from the Last 32 onwards, or be daring in a venue which could accommodate it and play the matches back over the longer format. At least the Semi-Finals should be extended beyond 11.

With the Masters, I'd like to see the tournament go to nine days and for the Semi-Finals to be played over the best of 17 or 19. There is ample room for it to do so and it'd be a welcome extension.

Postby Ck147

How about having 2 cue balls on the table, one for each player, and both players at the table at the same time, none of this taking it in turns rubbish. Would be awesome and less ridiculous than some of the other crap in this thread.

Postby Dan-cat

Ck147 wrote:How about having 2 cue balls on the table, one for each player, and both players at the table at the same time, none of this taking it in turns rubbish. Would be awesome and less ridiculous than some of the other crap in this thread.

Now this is an idea I can get behind. The ref takes every third shot. Andre, down the practice hall.

Postby HustleKing

Dan-cat wrote:Moving the Masters is a ridiculous idea. Like moving Wimbledon.

Ok Dan fair enough with the Masters, I can see that argument, although I disagree. But surely to God the UK Championship should be played in all four nations of the UK at least once a decade. Given that it's called the UK Championship, not the York or Yorkshire Championship.

Postby vodkadiet1

I would like 'The Joker' being introduced. Whereby a player can say which frame or frames he wants to count as 2 frames if he wins it.

A player would get 1 joker per match for best of 7s, 9s, or 11s; 2 jokers for a best of 17, 19, or 25; and 3 jokers for a best of 33 or 35.