/////Final, Sunday, 19 January/////
(best of 19 frames)

13:00 & 19:00 - Ali Carter 10 v 7 Stuart Bingham

Re: 2020 Masters Prediction Contest

Postby PLtheRef

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:To be honest as long as you amend your prediction before the deadline I don’t see why it would be an issue.

It allows for tactical predicting which goes against the etiquette of these contests. Basically, it's bad sportsmanship.

So does leaving your prediction until the last minute. The only way to truly combat it is to do every prediction by PM.

This is also a good point.

All fair comments.

To be honest, there really isn't a perfect system and the main aim with any prediction contest is to ensure that not only the rules of any contest are followed, but that also the spirit of the rules are followed.

The rule about not being able to change a prediction once it was made (other than if a player withdrew and was replaced) was introduced as a response to requests to change predictions once made, purely as a matter of tactics. At least once, I have had a contest leader apologize to me and say that they wanted to change their prediction for the Final to the same as second place to ensure that they won, and another poster being disgruntled after a contest that I hadn't told them what they needed to win as they would have replicated the second place score had they known. PMing predictions to the Final if you can win negates this somewhat.

Although leaving the predictions to the last minute could be seen as the best advantage, it also carries the risk of you looking a fool if you end up completely forgetting about making them altogether. I've done at least 50 odd prediction contests and I can't think of one where nobody has missed at least one deadline.

Sending all predictions in via PM is a good suggestion in theory but also has a couple of issues related with it Inboxes for PM's are of limited size and more than 100 predictions are made during most contests. - If getting predictions frequently, whoever running the contest could get their inboxes filled quickly meaning predictions sent might not get received. - Separately it opens it up for disputes especially after a PM has been deleted once the prediction has been added to the spreadsheet.

Postby Iranu

Ah, no chance of me winning then since Andre predicted the same score as me.

Good luck to everyone who’s still in contention :hatoff:

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:Oh rubbish.

I forgot to predict the final.

Doesn't matter since you had no chance of winning. You'll be towards the bottom of the pack, just like me. :chuckle:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Final Rankings:

1. DanCat - 95 points
2. Andre - 90 points
3. KrazeeEyezKilla - 85 points
4. Iranu, Carayip - 75 points
5. Eraserhead,Ck147 - 65 points
6. McManusFan, Pinky, Jester - 60 points
7. SF - 55 points
8. Vodka, PLtheRef - 50 points
9. Wildey, JB - 45 points
10. HappyCamper - 40 points
11. SundayGirl - 35 points

As far as I see, the likes of Smurf, Trump and Gilbert have all made 3 tons in total, more than anyone else. Those who chose them got bonus points.

Congrats to DanCat on winning this event. It was only fitting that a Ronnette won it. It seems those Riojas do wonders.

I'll double check tomorrow to see if I miscalculated someone's points or if I forgot something.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:How does Dan win if Andre predicted Bingham to win and Dan predicted Carter?

Simple. At the end of the semis, Dan had a 5 point lead. Andre got 10 points for predicting the correct winner of the final, while Dan got 10 points for predicting the player with most tons. Thus their order in the rankings remained the same :spot on:

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:How does Dan win if Andre predicted Bingham to win and Dan predicted Carter?

Simple. At the end of the semis, Dan had a 5 point lead. Andre got 10 points for predicting the correct winner of the final, while Dan got 10 points for predicting the player with most tons. Thus their order in the rankings remained the same :spot on:

<ok> Gotcha.

I actually misremembered and thought Andre had been in the lead! Lucky Dan that Carter got that 17th frame <laugh>

Congratulations Dan and well done on your first tournament Johnny :hatoff:

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Get in! Thank god Carter got that 8th frame!

It's tragic how much I'm enjoying this win.

I am only really good at invitationals. The inaugural Tour Champs was my other victory.

Thanks Johnny B :-D

You think that’s tragic?

I deliberately didn’t enter the NI, UK or Scottish contests so I could say I won the last one I entered for longer rofl

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Get in! Thank god Carter got that 8th frame!

It's tragic how much I'm enjoying this win.

I am only really good at invitationals. The inaugural Tour Champs was my other victory.

Thanks Johnny B :-D

You think that’s tragic?

I deliberately didn’t enter the NI, UK or Scottish contests so I could say I won the last one I entered for longer rofl

Hahaha no way! I find the 128 man events quite tedious to predict in the early stages. Can I get seeded through to the latter stages as Master's champ?

Postby Ck147

Well done DC and thanks JB for running this

Postby vodkadiet1

Congrats to Masters Champion Dan-cat and well done to Johnny Bravo on a well organised and regularly updated event.

For my part I really struggle at the venue.

Postby Andre147

Many congratulations Dan in the battle of the mods for the Masters title!

Your bonus points for the centuries got you through in the end. Plus Ali winning that 8th frame arrrrgghhh...

Also well done JB on running the contest.