Post a reply

WSF Main in Malta

Postby lhpirnie

After the Junior event finished yesterday, the Main event starts today.

Unfortunately, they use a similar format, with 38 groups of 4 players each, playing best-of-5 matches. The qualifiers go through to a knockout format, with a derisory best-of-5 until the later rounds. Over 150 players are competing (there are a few withdrawals, so the exact number is still not clear). Some of the junior players have stayed on, but Gao Yang has withdrawn, presumably tired after his victory yesterday. There are quite a lot of former professionals looking to return, with a Tour Card available for the winner.

Hot favourite Jamie Jones got a 132 (the highest so far) in his 3-2 win over Latvian Maris Volajs. Yesterday's beaten finalist Sean Maddocks unfortunately had to play in the first session, and lost 3-0 to Ash Hugill.

There are 8 tables, with one live stream. Scores are here:
https://snookerscores.net/tournament-ma ... ive-scores

Re: WSF Main in Malta

Postby HappyCamper

looking at the tables some players are showing as having played three while other are still to play their first match? or is this just due to some players withdrawing.

Postby carayip

HappyCamper wrote:looking at the tables some players are showing as having played three while other are still to play their first match? or is this just due to some players withdrawing.

Some players have withdrawn e.g. Gao who won the junior one

Postby lhpirnie

carayip wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:looking at the tables some players are showing as having played three while other are still to play their first match? or is this just due to some players withdrawing.

Some players have withdrawn e.g. Gao who won the junior one

Yes, there were a few withdrawals, notably the Moroccans. But otherwise the schedule did seem to be skewed. Perhaps there were some players who knew they would be arriving late and there was some flexibility available.

Postby HappyCamper

Jamie Jones and Rory McLeod safely through to the knockouts.

Postby lhpirnie

The group matches have finally been completed! Once again, it's still not clear to me how the next phase is to be drawn, but they'll have to do it soon! The knockout starts tomorrow...

If only the top 2 players in each group qualify, then the following former pros have been eliminated:
Dave Finbow, Zhang Yong, Leo Fernandez and Darryl Hill

Also eliminated are several players wh impressed in the junior event, such as Sean Maddocks, Julien Leclercq, Anton Kazakov and Dean Young.

Postby GeF

Draw is done.
Big fight with 2 promising junior in KO R1 :
Tony Drago - Rory McLeod

Postby lhpirnie

The L128 and L64 matches were played today, with 78 players. The biggest surprise was Jamie Jones losing to Steven Hallworth. It's partly a reflection of the condensed format: best-of-5 frames knockout is too much of a lottery for such a tournament. Hallworth got a century in the opening frame, which put Jones under a lot of pressure.

Rory McLeod beat home favourite Tony Drago in a veterans' battle. Other former pros still in the running are Alex Taubman, Allan Taylor, Ash Hugill, Chris Totten, Ross Muir, Sean O'Sullivan, Sandi Lam and Lukas Kleckers.

Tomorrow they play 3 rounds: L32, L16 and Q-finals, with semis and final on Friday.

Postby lhpirnie

Draw for the Q-finals:

Ben Fortey - Iulian Boiko
Wu Yize - Ross Muir
Ash Hugill - Allan Taylor
Dylan Emery - Ryan Thomerson

Only 3 former pros still in the running! They would probably be the favourites, especially since finally we have best-of-7's, so a bit less of a complete lottery than before. They play these matches today at 7pm (local time).

Postby HappyCamper

wow, young iulian boiko (14) has made it to the semis!

Postby lhpirnie

The semi-finals will be:

Iulian Boiko - Ross Muir
Ash Hugill - Dylan Emery

The Talyor-Hugill and Wu-Muir matches were very close. Wu Yize had a chance to win, but a disastrous 7-point foul left him needing a snooker. If he had won we'd have a 16-year old against a 14-year old in the semi-final!

But I can't see Boiko going further, even assuming he would be allowed to turn professional. Nevertheless, he's made great progress and it's only a matter of time before the young Ukranian turns pro and perhaps becomes a top player sometime in the future.

Postby lhpirnie

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Yeah Boiko and Mertens could be important for the game if they make it through

Mertens was pretty terrible in Malta, but Boiko has improved every tournament he has played. But turning professional too young may be a problem, especially if they can't get travel permits or time off school. Gao Yang will have this problem in June.

Postby lhpirnie

Well, I keep being proved wrong about Boiko! He's won his semi-final against Ross Muir, by 4-1 no less.

The other semi-final is now in progress. Of course Ash Hugill has been a professional, and probably shouldn't have dropped off tour last year with the talent he has. Dylan Emery is still only 18, and a final between an 18-year old and a 14-year old would be a major shock! I am unhappy about the tournament structure, but I still expected one of the former pros to come through.

Postby HappyCamper

This tournament seems quite poor compared to the IBSF World Championship, considering this awards a pro tour card. Matches too short.

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:This tournament seems quite poor compared to the IBSF World Championship, considering this awards a pro tour card. Matches too short.

Yes that's my main gripe. Best-of-5 in knockout rounds is a lottery. I assume it was because they got so many entries and only 8 tables.

Postby HappyCamper

ashley hugill wins 5-3. made a good 89 break in the last frame. so he'll be back on the main tour next year.

Postby lhpirnie

He joins Gao Yang, Zhao Jianbo and Pang Junxu on tour next year. Other qualifiers will come from Q School or the Challenge Tour.
Last edited by lhpirnie on 17 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

hugill is second on the challenge tour at the moment, so i guess this opens up a chance for someone else there.

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:hugill is second on the challenge tour at the moment, so i guess this opens up a chance for someone else there.

Yes, he's playing Paul S Davison tomorrow at 10am. Do you think he'll make it?

Postby mick745

Hoping that young Boiko can make a name for himself in the game. Had some very impressive results in that tournament including against some hardened former pros. A couple of years time he could be Ukraine's only professional player, maybe kick starting massive levels of intetest in that part of the world, who knows?

I would love to see professionals on tour from all over the planet rather than just being british or Chinese centric.

Postby HappyCamper

lhpirnie wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:hugill is second on the challenge tour at the moment, so i guess this opens up a chance for someone else there.

Yes, he's playing Paul S Davison tomorrow at 10am. Do you think he'll make it?

hugill indeed withdrew. can't say i blame him. world snooker's ridiculous scheduling is not restricted to the pros!

boiko is due to play adam duffy this afternoon too. at least a hangover less likely to be a problem for him given his age.

Postby lhpirnie

mick745 wrote:Hoping that young Boiko can make a name for himself in the game. Had some very impressive results in that tournament including against some hardened former pros. A couple of years time he could be Ukraine's only professional player, maybe kick starting massive levels of intetest in that part of the world, who knows?

I would love to see professionals on tour from all over the planet rather than just being british or Chinese centric.

Yes, I think Jason was keen on Boiko's achievement, in a week where they rebranded 'WST'. It would be great to expand, but they do have to sort out a few structural things, or it will remain a British-biased tour.