Post a reply

Snooker: Changes You’d Like To See

Postby Iranu

What things would you like to see change in snooker?

These could be anything from rule changes to logistical reform, formats, attitudes from players, coverage, new locations etc.

I’ll start with a small one:

I’d like to see more players play exhibition shots once they’ve made a century (or if they can’t make one) if they know they can’t beat the highest break. While I understand Hendry’s point about keeping your opponent in their seat, I don’t think a few balls would make a huge difference. He also said it’s about not coming back to the table after the negative of missing your last shot, but I don’t think that’s so much a factor if you’ve gone for something outrageous.

Re: Snooker: Changes You’d Like To See

Postby D4P

1. I would like to see the ranking system changed. At a minimum, ranking points and prize money should be separated from each other, and Chinese events shouldn't be worth 2-3 times as many ranking points as European events.

2. Players should no longer be allowed to take as long as 6 minutes to play a shot. There should be some kind of shot clock that is clearly enforced.

3. The phrase "snookers required" should be replaced by "foul points required", "barring snookers" should be replaced by "barring foul points", etc.

4. There should be a meaningful prize for making a 147.

5. The top players generally shouldn't be required to play in the round of 128, or maybe even 64.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:1. The UK format being extended to AT least what the format was from 1993-2010.
2. The Masters being turned into an actual elite tournament. 16 players is far too many, and best-of-11s are far too short.

I agree with your first point.

Your second point seems unusual, and I am unclear as to why you didn't mention it before.

Postby SnookerFan

I'd relax the dress code.

Seriously, why is it a thing? It can't be easy to play in.

People say it keeps the gentlemanly nature of the game intact, but what tosh. You can still call fouls on yourself wearing a tracksuit.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:I'd relax the dress code.

People say it keeps the gentlemanly nature of the game intact, but what tosh. You can still call fouls on yourself wearing a tracksuit.

You can’t bring in that rule because of Mark Williams and Anthony Hamilton.

Postby eraserhead

D4P wrote:5. The top players generally shouldn't be required to play in the round of 128, or maybe even 64.

Not all events but I'd love there to be a variety, so that top 32 are seeded into some 128 man events. Think it would improve the quality of some tournaments. Shame that Shanghai was forced to become an invitational.

Less betting sponsorship in UK and European events

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

Yes, because I'd stop watching snooker because of what people are wearing. :zzz:

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:
D4P wrote:5. The top players generally shouldn't be required to play in the round of 128, or maybe even 64.

Not all events but I'd love there to be a variety, so that top 32 are seeded into some 128 man events. Think it would improve the quality of some tournaments. Shame that Shanghai was forced to become an invitational.

Less betting sponsorship in UK and European events

:goodpost:

Postby Sickpotter

Track suit? Not comfortable enough....how about pajamas?

IMO relaxed dress codes likely have a negative impact on tournament and player sponsorship. If it didn't it would've been brought in quickly by Hearn.

I honestly don't know why you'd suggest relaxing the dress code, is there something about being well dressed you find offensive?

The dress code is actually easy to play in and quite functional to boot. The vest helps prevent players shirts from inadvertently touching a ball. I can get behind losing the tie but that's about it.

If playing snooker is your profession you'd certainly invest some $ in properly tailored outfits and good shoes to ensure comfort.

Postby lhpirnie

D4P wrote:1. I would like to see the ranking system changed. At a minimum, ranking points and prize money should be separated from each other, and Chinese events shouldn't be worth 2-3 times as many ranking points as European events.

2. Players should no longer be allowed to take as long as 6 minutes to play a shot. There should be some kind of shot clock that is clearly enforced.

3. The phrase "snookers required" should be replaced by "foul points required", "barring snookers" should be replaced by "barring foul points", etc.

5. The top players generally shouldn't be required to play in the round of 128, or maybe even 64.

Good post.

Changing the ranking system would allow more variety in the tournament structures, which would make #5 possible. Every tournament would then contribute to the rankings, including the Masters.

Postby SnookerFan

Sickpotter wrote:

Track suit? Not comfortable enough....how about pajamas?

IMO relaxed dress codes likely have a negative impact on tournament and player sponsorship. If it didn't it would've been brought in quickly by Hearn.

I honestly don't know why you'd suggest relaxing the dress code, is there something about being well dressed you find offensive?

The dress code is actually easy to play in and quite functional to boot. The vest helps prevent players shirts from inadvertently touching a ball. I can get behind losing the tie but that's about it.

If playing snooker is your profession you'd certainly invest some $ in properly tailored outfits and good shoes to ensure comfort.

I guess.

You ask me if I find being well dressed offensive. Not really, but I find people who are into fashion to be incredibly boring.

I guess the sponsorship is probably, I dunno. I just always think that if you're going to bend over and stretch, wearing a waistcoat and bowtie can't be the most practical.

As usual though, I'm in a minority of one. A player could come out dressed as a clown, and it'd not change my opinion of the sport. But, I guess if sponsors put up more money up just based on how smart they look, that's as good a reason as any.

Postby Sickpotter

D4P wrote:1. I would like to see the ranking system changed. At a minimum, ranking points and prize money should be separated from each other, and Chinese events shouldn't be worth 2-3 times as many ranking points as European events.

1. Agreed.

2. There's already rules in place to address slow play, they just need to be applied.

3. Why?

4. They can't get insurance against someone making a max so any increased prize for a max would come from the tournament prize money which I fully disagree with. 147s are nice but increasing the prize for one can tempt players into chasing it at the cost of their match.

5. I like the idea as long as they aren't automatically given ranking points without winning a match.

Postby Sickpotter

Pink Ball wrote:1. The UK format being extended to AT least what the format was from 1993-2010.
2. The Masters being turned into an actual elite tournament. 16 players is far too many, and best-of-11s are far too short.

1. 100%, bring back the longer format
2. I think top 16 is elite enough but I would like to see a longer match format.

Postby Alex0paul

Top 12 in the Masters with 5-12 playing each other to face a top 4 player in the quarters

Postby HustleKing

1. Shootout stops being a ranker and gets played in the other UK nations.

2. Masters get played outside the UK at least once a decade.

3. UK Championship gets rotated annually between the four nations.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

HustleKing wrote:1. Shootout stops being a ranker and gets played in the other UK nations.

2. Masters get played outside the UK at least once a decade.

3. UK Championship gets rotated annually between the four nations.

All good changes IMO

Postby McManusFan

1. Rework the ranking points system.

2. A diversity of sponsors (easier said than done).

3. Longer formats for the UK and Masters, multi-session from the semis onward.

4. Better international coverage, especially of the ITV events.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Yes, because I'd stop watching snooker because of what people are wearing. :zzz:

Hamilton and Williams would cause irreparable damage to snooker. You have no idea how badly they dress. Viewership would immediately collapse and sponsors would demand their money back. Prize money would evaporate.

Postby eraserhead

Sickpotter wrote:5. I like the idea as long as they aren't automatically given ranking points without winning a match.

That's an important point. There should be a cost for being seeded like at the worlds.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hamilton and Williams would cause irreparable damage to snooker. You have no idea how badly they dress. Viewership would immediately collapse and sponsors would demand their money back. Prize money would evaporate.

I saw Mark Williams practicing in his casual gear the other day. Looked alright to me.

Much more practical for bending and stretching over a table.

Why don't they play darts in tuxedoes? What's the difference?

Postby SnookerFan

Sickpotter wrote:No foul in darts if your shirt touches your dart

True. And for once somebody discusses this issue by giving a practical that actually affects the game. You still don't need a bow tie though. I'm not saying the dress code should be wear whatever you want. Maybe something similar to what they have at the Home Nations? Ties and bowties aren't necessary.

Would sponsors really pull out because players weren't wearing bow-ties? Mags gets away with not wearing one.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

More relaxed dress code doesn’t necessarily mean “wear whatever you like.”

That said I still wouldn’t change it. It’s one of the things that drew me to the sport.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

More relaxed dress code doesn’t necessarily mean “wear whatever you like.”

That said I still wouldn’t change it. It’s one of the things that drew me to the sport.

Really?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I loved Hamilton's explanation of what a Pro-Am is in this interview. Has an Ace-like air to it:

When did you reckon you could make a career out of it?
"We used to play in “Pro-Ams” where only pros and amateurs could enter. It was all cash in hand, £1,000 for the winner. I knew I was proper when I won my first one of them, with players like Ronnie, Ebdon and Dave Harold."

Postby Iranu

Really. It made the game look classy compared to other sports where people are wearing a t-shirt and shorts. It’s one of the things that led me to keep watching as a 13 year old.

I can understand why you might think it’s uncomfortable but surely if it were that bad something would have happened in the last 40+ years to change it, players would be complaining. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard them do so.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:Really. It made the game look classy compared to other sports where people are wearing a t-shirt and shorts. It’s one of the things that led me to keep watching as a 13 year old.

You should start watching as an adult now. You must look ridiculous.