Post a reply

Ronnie and Selby ruined each other

Postby D4P

Much is made about how Ronnie arguably "hasn't been the same player" at the WC since losing the 2014 final to Mark Selby, but I'm not sure I've heard anyone make a similar observation in reverse: Mark Selby arguably hasn't been the same player at the Masters since losing the 2014 final to Ronnie.

Since losing that final, Selby has a 3-6 record at the Masters, with 3 first-round losses and 3 second-round (i.e. quarter-final) losses...

Re: Ronnie and Selby ruined each other

Postby TheSaviour

It all has come down to who would prefer to have that and that one more title.

Now John Higgins is still going strong during this Masters. He obviously prefers to have this title. CV-wise and all. But none of them want´s to travel to somewhere only to fail to do much anything.

That´s the basic rule.

The paths are a slightly different story. If there are all sort of newish type of plastics around, they all really, really fancy the job. When they all really, really fancy the job, Ronnie vs Selby is always going to be a great match-up.

No idea how all those statistics and silverwares looks like regarding their CVs or garages.

Bring on all sort of nice looking red and black PLASTICS and they all will be fancing the job. Obviously travelling around also just makes them to play. So fair play to Barry Hearn.

So the paths are always a slightly different story, as well as the sheer luck and the run of the balls, conditions and so on. But not absolutely everything has to do with the luck. We just need to think it is straight now. It must be straight. Straight, straight, straight, nice looking newish-type of plastics, and getting out of the jail. There´s your recipe.

Postby vodkadiet1

D4P wrote:Much is made about how Ronnie arguably "hasn't been the same player" at the WC since losing the 2014 final to Mark Selby, but I'm not sure I've heard anyone make a similar observation in reverse: Mark Selby arguably hasn't been the same player at the Masters since losing the 2014 final to Ronnie.

Since losing that final, Selby has a 3-6 record at the Masters, with 3 first-round losses and 3 second-round (i.e. quarter-final) losses...

You're right. Had it not been for that 2014 Masters loss Selby might have won 5 world titles by now instead of a paltry 3.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet1 wrote:
D4P wrote:Much is made about how Ronnie arguably "hasn't been the same player" at the WC since losing the 2014 final to Mark Selby, but I'm not sure I've heard anyone make a similar observation in reverse: Mark Selby arguably hasn't been the same player at the Masters since losing the 2014 final to Ronnie.

You're right. Had it not been for that 2014 Masters loss Selby might have won 5 world titles by now instead of a paltry 3.

World Champs have nothing to do with this.

He's talking about The Masters, which is true, since 2014, he hasnt reached the Semis there.

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

World Champs have nothing to do with this.

He's talking about The Masters, which is true, since 2014, he hasnt reached the Semis there.

I doubt has lost his confidence at The Masters because he was once trounced there. He has just been beaten on the day. He hasn't been at all dominant since 2017 anyway.