Post a reply

Most first round Crucible exits of the decade (TC Winners)

Postby Ash147

This is a list of all Triple Crown event winners who have exited at the first stage of the World Championship between 2010-2019.

Peter Ebdon - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 (x6)
Stephen Maguire - 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018 (x6)
Graeme Dott - 2012, 2016, 2018, 2019 (x4)
Neil Robertson - 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018 (x4)
Stuart Bingham - 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018 (x4)
Matthew Stevens - 2011, 2013, 2018 (x3)
Shaun Murphy - 2012, 2016, 2018 (x3)
Alan McManus - 2013, 2015 (x2)
Ding Junhui - 2012, 2014 (x2)
John Higgins - 2013, 2014 (x2)
Ken Doherty - 2010, 2012 (x2)
Mark Allen - 2012, 2019 (x2)
Mark Williams - 2013, 2015 (x2)
Mark Selby - 2012, 2018 (x2)
Judd Trump - 2017 (x1)
Ronnie O'Sullivan - 2019 (x1)

Re: Most first round Crucible exits of the decade (TC Winner

Postby HustleKing

Pretty poor from Robertson upwards, as those players should have enough quality not to get knocked out that often. Pretty much sums up Maguire's career as well, an underachiever extraordinaire :-(

Postby Ck147

Ash147 wrote:I probably should have added in number of performances as well, as not everyone there has appeared on all 10 occasions. Will do this tomorrow at some point.

I was thinking that that would be a good metric as well. Like HustleKing says, pretty poor from Robbo upwards, especially Robbo, for the decade easily the best out of most of that group on average, obvious exceptions being ROS, Selby, Higgins and Judd. I will give him some extra encouragement when I see him on Monday :)

Postby Wildey

lhpirnie wrote:Yes, to complete the list you'd add that Davis and Hendry did not lose at all in the first round in the 2010's, although they retired early in the decade.

But Steve Davis lost 6 times BEFORE the first round so you cant really count that as not loosing in the first round same with Ebdon he lost 4 times in Qualifying so his tally is 10.

this topic is as if qualifying has never happened.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:Yes, to complete the list you'd add that Davis and Hendry did not lose at all in the first round in the 2010's, although they retired early in the decade.

But Steve Davis lost 6 times BEFORE the first round so you cant really count that as not loosing in the first round same with Ebdon he lost 4 times in Qualifying so his tally is 10.

Wouldn’t be like Ash to post incomplete data.

Postby Ash147

Wildey wrote:

The qualifying is separate. This is just people who have made it to the last 32.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

The qualifying is separate. This is just people who have made it to the last 32.

Oh.

You seemed to confirm I was correct, and then say I was wrong in the next post.

Postby carayip

This is somewhat misleading. Take Mark Williams for example. I think he failed to qualify for Crucible in 2014 and 2017 so he’s worse than the likes of Bingham and Robertson who qualified every year but lost more first round matches. However it didn’t reflect on this table

Postby SnookerFan

carayip wrote:This is somewhat misleading. Take Mark Williams for example. I think he failed to qualify for Crucible in 2014 and 2017 so he’s worse than the likes of Bingham and Robertson who qualified every year but lost more first round matches. However it didn’t reflect on this table

Yeah, I am struggling to see the point of these stats.

Taking a random example, the Matthew Stevens 2018 one. Yes, he lost in the last 32. But he didn't lose his first match. He would've had to have won three matches in Sheffield to get there.

That's not the same thing as Ronnie losing to Cahill or Judd losing to McLeod. They did lose their first match of the championship.

When I first read it, before I examined the stats, I assumed that Ash was citing a list of "major" winners who had lost the first match they had played at the tournament. Somebody winning three matches to qualify, and then losing the last 32 match isn't the same thing.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:Does this confirm that Ebdon is the worst player ever? Of that he's one of the best having come through qualifying a lot?

Well exactly.

I understand that stats are usually just there for interest, and a lot of times don't really prove anything. But this takes so few things into account, it's too broad to even take much interest in.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Image

buck you and buck spaghetti.

The link you posted with Mario talking about spaghetti made more informative snooker related posts than this thread did.

Stfu SnookerFan.