Post a reply

Re: Indian Open postponed

Postby Vallomas

So, Matthew Selt won't have the chance to be introduced as the reigning champion?

Postby SnookerFan

Vallomas wrote:So, Matthew Selt won't have the chance to be introduced as the reigning champion?

He will, next year.

Postby The_Abbott

Vallomas wrote:So, Matthew Selt won't have the chance to be introduced as the reigning champion?

That's the reason its been cancelled. The organisers were too embarrassed to announce that Selt was the reigning champion. Sponsors were frightened off

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Still a better competition than the BDO Darts.

The worst snooker tournament is still better than the best tennis tournament.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Surprised Hearn never went with a World Series run of events during the summer like in darts. You could run a tournament in India, Australia, Brazil etc without the cost of a ranking event.

Postby Holden Chinaski

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Surprised Hearn never went with a World Series run of events during the summer like in darts. You could run a tournament in India, Australia, Brazil etc without the cost of a ranking event.

Postby GeF

English is not my language but, why WorldSnooker use the word "postponed" when "cancelled" should be used ?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
GeF wrote:English is not my language but, why WorldSnooker use the word "postponed" when "cancelled" should be used ?

Well it sounds a bit more positive.

Yeah.

Cancelled means it's cancelled indefinitely.
Postponed means it will still happen, but at a later date.

In this situation, it hasn't actually been postponed because it won't be happening this season. I guess they are using the term "postponed" to mean there might still be an Indian Open next season rather than stricken from the calendar completely. Maybe to avoid confusion, or as Dan says to sound more optimistic/upbeat about it.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerFan wrote:Remember when John Higgins organised a World Series event on Eurosport?

It had a similar idea to the darts one, a few top players and some locals. It ended in disgrace which might be why Hearn hasn't gone back to it even though Matchroom had a World Series in the late 80's/early 90's.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Holden Chinaski wrote:Image

It's been that long since I've watched it I couldn't remember who that was for a minute.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

It's been that long since I've watched it I couldn't remember who that was for a minute.

Who is it?

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Remember when John Higgins organised a World Series event on Eurosport?

It had a similar idea to the darts one, a few top players and some locals. It ended in disgrace which might be why Hearn hasn't gone back to it even though Matchroom had a World Series in the late 80's/early 90's.

It's not like there's a massive point to it now, anyway.

Originally, it was extra playing opportunities for players when there wasn't that many in a season.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

Who is it?

KrazeeEyesKilla. Duh.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

Who is it?

KrazeeEyesKilla. Duh.

Oh. My bad. :|

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:My favourite Curb character was Marty Funkhouser. RIP.

Ah man he was so good. Have you watched his episodes on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee? Brilliant

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:My favourite Curb character was Marty Funkhouser. RIP.

Ah man he was so good. Have you watched his episodes on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee? Brilliant

Haven't seen those but I will check them out, thanks.

I love the Curb episode where Larry kills the swan... How Funkhouser says "guess what, I'm not a swan killer!" rofl

Postby lhpirnie

I'm sure I'm in a minority, but I think India would be a very good development region for snooker. Certainly economically, and with a huge population. Obviously, there are currently security concerns and some organisational difficulties. But I do think all efforts should be made to keep India in the picture. Of course, what they really need is a top player like a Wattana or Ding.