Post a reply

Re: Judd Trump - shot of the decade??

Postby Ck147

Probably. Higgins reaction says it better than any of us can.

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1210893454227759104

Not sure. But it was bucking brilliant.

Definite contender though, who do you think did a better shot? Thought you kept track of these things? I'm being serious for a change, interested in who you think performed a better shot in the last decade. I wanted to suggest a Robbo shot out of duty but I can't, that Judd shot was pretty cool.

Postby Iranu

No. Judd’s shot to get the red off the cushion and come down for the black in his 147 attempt in the world final was better, for example.

Postby Pink Ball

Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/1210893454227759104

Not sure. But it was bucking brilliant.

Definite contender though, who do you think did a better shot? Thought you kept track of these things? I'm being serious for a change, interested in who you think performed a better shot in the last decade. I wanted to suggest a Robbo shot out of duty but I can't, that Judd shot was pretty cool.

I find it very hard to compile lists of the greatest shots. But this is a superb shot and certainly a contender.

I think the red he moved off a cushion while getting on the black during a 147 attempt in the world final was pretty special. O'Sullivan played an absolute corker late on in his Welsh Open 147, too.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:No. Judd’s shot to get the red off the cushion and come down for the black in his 147 attempt in the world final was better, for example.

Yeah that was incredible. Shot of the decade is a doomed concept but given the context that was a better shot.

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:No. Judd’s shot to get the red off the cushion and come down for the black in his 147 attempt in the world final was better, for example.

Yeah that was incredible. Shot of the decade is a doomed concept but given the context that was a better shot.

Mark Williams' red to middle to start his crucial break in frame 34 of the 2018 world final might be my pick. Not as technically brilliant as some of the other shots mentioned here but, given the circumstances, it was phenomenal.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Mark Williams' red to middle to start his crucial break in frame 34 of the 2018 world final might be my pick. Not as technically brilliant as some of the other shots mentioned here but, given the circumstances, it was phenomenal.

Yeah that was seminal - an outrageous shot that he made look mundane. Good shout

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Shot of the decade for me.

https://youtu.be/nBWyfMmpz3w

This is also better.

Nah, don't think that was better than Judd's shot, it was an easy angle and a big target over the middle pocket...still pretty good though.

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

This is also better.

Nah, don't think that was better than Judd's shot, it was an easy angle and a big target over the middle pocket...still pretty good though.

Well considering how far the first red had to travel, and the fact that the second red wasn’t over the pocket in a way that meant any contact would send it in, I think you’re underselling it a bit. Also the fact that it was played dead weight with just enough pace to knock the red in.

It was a bit of a shot to nothing though.

But with Judd’s shot, obviously it was fantastic just to even see that shot. But once he had, there were three reds to hit and three reds to land on so it was actually a sizeable target with a strong chance of having some sort of pot to go at as long as he hit any one of them. He didn’t have to be pinpoint with where the cue ball ended up.

It was a tremendous shot but didn’t require the precision of MJW’s in my opinion.

Postby Ck147

Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

This is also better.

Well considering how far the first red had to travel, and the fact that the second red wasn’t over the pocket in a way that meant any contact would send it in, I think you’re underselling it a bit. Also the fact that it was played dead weight with just enough pace to knock the red in.

It was a bit of a shot to nothing though.

But with Judd’s shot, obviously it was fantastic just to even see that shot. But once he had, there were three reds to hit and three reds to land on so it was actually a sizeable target with a strong chance of having some sort of pot to go at as long as he hit any one of them. He didn’t have to be pinpoint with where the cue ball ended up.

It was a tremendous shot but didn’t require the precision of MJW’s in my opinion.

I expected MJW to pot that, a few others could have made that pot too. What Judd did made his opponent nod in appreciation as it was a class shot that no one else would have attempted. Most professional players don't react in such a way, says it all.

Postby rekoons

Holden Chinaski wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzF6hQFGxyI

Ah yes, that was excellent. What do we call that, a ramtoozler?

Postby Johnny Bravo

rekoons wrote:I thought this one was pretty cool too. A bit like the mark Williams middle pot https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzGWCAx0xmY

That is indeed a great pot. However, although it is hard to make, it's not as hard as Judd's. On this shot, you just have to judge how much right spin you apply. It's a 1 in 3 shot. Judd's harder to pull off cause:
- he was cutting the ball back while using inside spin, which makes the pot very difficult;
- he has to judge how much spin (bottom + left or just left) he has to use;
- he has to judge how hard he needs to hit.

Postby rekoons

Johnny Bravo wrote:
rekoons wrote:I thought this one was pretty cool too. A bit like the mark Williams middle pot https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QzGWCAx0xmY

That is indeed a great pot. However, although it is hard to make, it's not as hard as Judd's. On this shot, you just have to judge how much right spin you apply. It's a 1 in 3 shot. Judd's harder to pull off cause:
- he was cutting the ball back while using inside spin, which makes the pot very difficult;
- he has to judge how much spin (bottom + left or just left) he has to use;
- he has to judge how hard he needs to hit.

Yes i agree, the judd shot is far more difficult. I just like clever shots like these :)

Postby rekoons

Dan-cat wrote:I'm biased, because I love Ronnie and I was that match. You can see me in the crowd as the camera pans round.

I’ve never been to a live snooker match :( bring back the antwerp open please!

Postby Holden Chinaski

rekoons wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I'm biased, because I love Ronnie and I was that match. You can see me in the crowd as the camera pans round.

I've been to the Antwerp Open. It was great. I saw Ronnie, Higgins, Mark Allen... Also talked with Matthew Stevens and Andrew Higginson and saw Ronnie driving a sports car! We should meet up if the Antwerp Open comes back...

Postby rekoons

Holden Chinaski wrote:
rekoons wrote:

I've been to the Antwerp Open. It was great. I saw Ronnie, Higgins, Mark Allen... Also talked with Matthew Stevens and Andrew Higginson and saw Ronnie driving a sports car! We should meet up if the Antwerp Open comes back...

Definitely! Hopefully it Will come back!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ash147 wrote:Belgium is pretty much a non-country.

It's where you guys came from. Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.