Post a reply

Hendry the commentator

Postby Bourne

Stephen Hendry's been into the commentary box for the BBC at this years World Open, how do you think he's been doing ? Would you like to see him return at the UK for as long as he's still in the tournament (and beyond) ?

I personally think he's been a breath of fresh air, clearly a great student of the game and most importantly doesn't tiptoe around things he tells them straight what he thinks and I think it's fascinating to hear his views about players that we maybe wouldn't have heard otherwise in normal interviews.

Re: Hendry the commentator

Postby Casey

As a fanboy I will open it up. As you said he isn't afraid of criticising shots/poor play, likewise he gives praise where its due.

He doesn't witter on like the rest of the clique and only speaks when its relevant. People accuse him of having no personality but as seen in the box this is far from the truth.

I said a couple of years ago he would have a job with the BBC at the end of his career, well its certain now. However I think he will be a pundit more than a commentator. This will most likely push Ken more into the commentators box.

I would love him to commentate along side Clive and I also think he will force the others to raise their game.

Postby GJ

brilliant

sack taylor

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:brilliant

sack taylor

rofl rofl rofl

Postby Wildey

Stephen speaks when theres something to speak about very similar to Ray Edmonds or even Ted Lowe .....

these days its the norm to whitter on for ever saying nothing Steve Davis is a prime example of that of someone thats come in and trying to have a who can talk longest unstopped talking bullocks contest with Virgo,Thorne and Taylor.

Postby Thompson Lykes

Hendry is class. Why wouldn't you have the greatest world champion as your star game caller?

Ronnie of course couldn't commentate as he would threaten to give it up after two hours.

John Higgins might do it, but he would first have to see off Willie Thorne as the voice which gave the odds on each shot.

Mark Williams couldn't do it as the sub-titles would block the scoring at the bottom of the screen.

Postby Steve K

Would love to see Dominic Dale more often. I love listening to him during the Welsh Open and I loved seeing him in all the "interval clips" (running around the snooker table for charity :D ) and doing the interviews and chats in the studio.

Postby randam05

Steve K wrote:Would love to see Dominic Dale more often. I love listening to him during the Welsh Open and I loved seeing him in all the "interval clips" (running around the snooker table for charity :D ) and doing the interviews and chats in the studio.

yay another dominic dale fan, i think hes great! :love:

Postby SnookerFan

I thought he was good. Certianly better then Doherty, whose skills at speaking lie more with Hazel Irvine then in commentary I find.

Hendry as somebody who still plays at a level high enough to win a few matches, and still bothers the odd semi, made some quite insightful comments. And his predictions as to what shot they were abot to play were spot on. I think he took to it like a duck to water.

If retirement is truly on his mind, he looks like he has a future in the commentary box. Bring Clive Everton back and have him and Hendry commentate. <ok>

Postby Casey

For me, the fact he stayed in the studio after he was put out says alot. Days gone by he would have been in horrid form after an event. he has accepted his winning days are behind him, he was comfortable in the box and studio.
It was great to his his personality, he's with the BBC for the long haul.

Postby Bourne

Hendry and Everton in the box together would be A++++++

Postby Casey

I think Virgo is the worst by far, he gets it wrong on sooooooo many occasions and has a stroke any time the white goes within 4 feet of the pocket.
With Everton gone I think Thorne is the best of the current lot. My line up would be -

Everton
Yates
Thorne
Hendry
Foulds

Postby randam05

Obviously the current ones..taylor, thorne and virgo will soon not be commentators (well they still have a good while yet) but say in 10/20 years they might not be commentating so who do you think will be the main BBC commentators.

So far we have Doherty and now Hendry. Maybe ebdon? and murphy in the long time future. Personally id like to see dominic dale not just doing welsh open and spreading to all BBC tournaments.

I cant think who else would like to commentate really.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:For me, the fact he stayed in the studio after he was put out says alot. Days gone by he would have been in horrid form after an event. he has accepted his winning days are behind him, he was comfortable in the box and studio.
It was great to his his personality, he's with the BBC for the long haul.

yes i was surprised with him commentating after a defeat either he did not put much on the world open and didn't care one way or another or it is the start of a different mind set.

only time will tell.

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:I think Virgo is the worst by far, he gets it wrong on sooooooo many occasions and has a stroke any time the white goes within 4 feet of the pocket.
With Everton gone I think Thorne is the best of the current lot. My line up would be -

Everton
Yates
Thorne
Hendry
Foulds

Where's the cue ball going? WHERE'S IT GOING? rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Mrs JV's upset cos I shouted "Where's the cueball going?" while she was giving me a blowjob last night. I'll have to buy her some rubbish later

<laugh>