Post a reply

Century breaks with no blacks between reds?

Postby HustleKing

I was just wondering if there have been many instances of players recording centuries while ignoring the black ball between reds. Usually players want to pot the black the most early on, with the blue ball sometimes being preferable to split the pack. I would think that it would be then be unlikely for players to record centuries with no blacks unless the black was in a really awkward spot, such as being glued to the middle of a cushion.

So does anyone remember any centuries where players ignored the black ball immediately after potting reds? Or have there been instances where both the black and pink have been ignored? Or even when the black, blue and pink have all been ignored? :hmmm:

Re: Century breaks with no blacks between reds?

Postby D4P

I have definitely seen centuries made in recent years without the black. I'm pretty sure Ronnie has done it more than once. IIRC, in one event last season he potted 14 reds with pinks, and then potted some other color instead of the pink after the 15th red. Someone asked him about it after the match and he said that he hadn't realized he had potted 14 pinks, and that if he had realized it, he would have tried for a 15-pink total clearance.

In any event, I'm pretty sure he reached at least 100 points in that break without potting the black in the process...

Postby Andre147

2006 UK Champs, Ronnie played Maguire and he potted 15 reds with pinks.

I'm sure there have many others instances where this has been made without potting the black once.

Postby Andre147

I also seen Ronnie made one century breaks with almost all blues, some China match against Anthony McGill.

I was very impressed by it, 2 or 3 years ago think it was.