Mark Allen: 78.0% (41 matches)
Shaun Murphy: 76.9% (39 matches)
John Higgins: 76.9% (39 matches)
Neil Robertson: 73.5% (34 matches)
Ding Junhui: 72.4% (29 matches)
David Gilbert: 71.8% (39 matches)
Mark Selby: 71.4% (63 matches)
Stephen Maguire: 71.0% (31 matches)

To provide some context, the highest career winning percentage of any player is Ronnie’s 75.17%. I’m pretty sure that John Higgins is 2nd best, at 69.4%. Ronnie’s winning percentage in 2018-19 was 86.36%.

There is a (statistically-significant) correlation of -0.36 between match winning percentage and AST, meaning that faster players tend to have higher winning percentages. That said, the relationship isn’t very strong and it’s not clear whether fast play leads to more success or vice versa (or neither).

Of these 10 players, just one (Mark Selby) has an AST (24.0) slower than the tour average AST (23.92).
Last edited by D4P on 16 Dec 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Some stats from the season thus far

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:This is another proof, if any was still necessary, that ROS will forever be the KING of snooker !!! :win: :mosh: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

What, the fact that Judd currently leads him by 7%?

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:This is another proof, if any was still necessary, that ROS will forever be the KING of snooker !!! :win: :mosh: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Judd only leads him this season, I'm talking about career stats

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

O’Sullivan has been more successful than Trump? Jesus!

Postby Alex0paul

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Why do you care so much?

Postby Pink Ball

Alex0paul wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Why do you care so much?

He doesn’t, swear, no Sullivan fans care, why would they care, what are you accusing them off, silly talk, buck off.

Postby Andre147

This doesnt take into acount how many matches a player has played over an entire season.

For instance, in that season when Ronnie only played the Worlds, his match winning percentage must have been around 90%, he did lose one match against Simon Bedford but that was it.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:This doesnt take into acount how many matches a player has played over an entire season.

I just updated the initial post to show the number of matches each player has played this season.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think it is harder to have a high percentage if you play more matches

Precisely my point.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think it is harder to have a high percentage if you play more matches

Precisely my point.

Actually, there is a very strong positive correlation between match win % and number of matches played, but that's presumably mostly a result of the fact that the more matches you win, the more you get to play. At the same time, however, the more matches you play (and thus, the deeper you get in a tournament), the more difficult it is to win...

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Precisely my point.

Actually, there is a very strong positive correlation between match win % and number of matches played, but that's presumably mostly a result of the fact that the more matches you win, the more you get to play. At the same time, however, the more matches you play (and thus, the deeper you get in a tournament), the more difficult it is to win...

This is why I find it a bit silly when pundits say “this player’s in greta form, he’s only lost x matches this season.”

If one player loses in the final of five events and another loses in the first round, each has lost five matches.

Number of wins is far more indicative.

Postby Wildey

The only important stat is titles

Mark Selby is 9th on that list and hes won 2 titles the only player above him thats won more is Judd Trump

He lost 8 in the championship league alone and won 7 without the championship league his avarage would be 79.16.

Postby chengdufan

Good stats!

For comparison, the top snooker island posters of the season so far are as follows:

1. Iranu 93.2% (129 posts)
2. Pink ball 84.9% (268 posts)
3. Hendry fan 83.4% (74 posts)
4. Snooker fan 77.5% (4,236 posts)
5. Dan cat 75.4% (302 posts)
74. Ash147 4.5% (341 posts)

Where the percentage is of posts considered 'good'.

*disclaimer: all the numbers are completely made up.

Postby Dan-cat

chengdufan wrote:Good stats!

For comparison, the top snooker island posters of the season so far are as follows:

1. Iranu 93.2% (129 posts)
2. Pink ball 84.9% (268 posts)
3. Hendry fan 83.4% (74 posts)
4. Snooker fan 77.5% (4,236 posts)
5. Dan cat 75.4% (302 posts)
74. Ash147 4.5% (341 posts)

Where the percentage is of posts considered 'good'.

*disclaimer: all the numbers are completely made up.

Lolz :-D

Postby chengdufan

Alex0paul wrote:Have there even been 74 posters?

Yes, but most were Russian bots introducing themselves.

Postby lhpirnie

D4P wrote:The top 10 players by match winning percentage, at this point in the season:

Judd Trump: 85.7% (42 matches)
Ronnie O'Sullivan: 78.6% (28 matches)
Mark Allen: 78.0% (41 matches)
Shaun Murphy: 76.9% (39 matches)
John Higgins: 76.9% (39 matches)
Neil Robertson: 73.5% (34 matches)
Ding Junhui: 72.4% (29 matches)
David Gilbert: 71.8% (39 matches)
Mark Selby: 71.4% (63 matches)
Stephen Maguire: 71.0% (31 matches)

To provide some context, the highest career winning percentage of any player is Ronnie’s 75.17%. I’m pretty sure that John Higgins is 2nd best, at 69.4%. Ronnie’s winning percentage in 2018-19 was 86.36%.

There is a (statistically-significant) correlation of -0.36 between match winning percentage and AST, meaning that faster players tend to have higher winning percentages. That said, the relationship isn’t very strong and it’s not clear whether fast play leads to more success or vice versa (or neither).

Of these 10 players, just one (Mark Selby) has an AST (24.0) slower than the tour average AST (23.92).

No, the AST is mainly an indicator of scoring. The better players get higher breaks, which is much quicker than coming to and from the table, playing safeties, or simply missing pots.

Postby rekoons

Not really stats from this season alone, but according to the wiki site Selby has won like 15 out of the 16 finals he played during the last seasons, which is an amazingly strong feat... :dizzy:

Postby carayip

rekoons wrote:Not really stats from this season alone, but according to the wiki site Selby has won like 15 out of the 16 finals he played during the last seasons, which is an amazingly strong feat... :dizzy:

More amazingly is that before the 2014 worlds, he has only won 3 out of 11 finals as well. Safe to say that final completely changed him
Last edited by carayip on 18 Dec 2019, edited 1 time in total.