Post a reply

Best tournaments you've ever seen?

Postby Tubberlad

I'm really enjoying this year's World Open (what I've been able to see of it), and it got me thinking: what were your favourite tournaments?

Ones that jump to mind for me straight away are the World Championships of 1999, 2002, 2003 & 2008, the Grand Prix of 2008, & The Masters in 2009 & 2010.

The worst? Bahrain 2008, Grand Prix 2006, 2007 & 2009, World Championship 2006 (nothing to do with Dott winning, I emphasise that) and Premier League 2009.

Plenty more on both sides I'm sure, and sorry if it's too broad a topic :santa:

Re: Best tournaments you've ever seen?

Postby Bourne

Masters in 2009 I said it at the time and I still think it now, the quality of play was just outstanding from start to finish and it ended with an incredible final which was of the highest standard.

Postby Tubberlad

I would agree the Masters produces some of the most exciting and best quality snooker year in, year out. But I thought the Worlds in 2002 & 2003 were classics from start to finish.

Postby Roland

Oh crikey. I've enjoyed this World Open I must admit and I can't think of any Grand Prix that stand out other than the one John Higgins won with 4 consecutive centuries.

As for others, god knows. I tend to remember finals more than overall events when I look back.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:Oh crikey. I've enjoyed this World Open I must admit and I can't think of any Grand Prix that stand out other than the one John Higgins won with 4 consecutive centuries.

As for others, god knows. I tend to remember finals more than overall events when I look back.

Same for me. I felt like including the Masters in 2001, 2002 & 2004 but I then realised I could only remember the finals <laugh>

Postby Alex0paul

Best tournaments; World Championships in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007
UK Championships in 2005
Masters 2004, 2010
Welsh Open 2007
Worst tournaments; World Championships 2008
Shanghai Masters 2009

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:Oh crikey. I've enjoyed this World Open I must admit and I can't think of any Grand Prix that stand out other than the one John Higgins won with 4 consecutive centuries.

that was against ron in 2005?

Postby Tubberlad

rocket_ron wrote:

Correct. Higgins was stunning.

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

Correct. Higgins was stunning.

best ive seen him play <ok>

Postby GJ

Alex0paul WC wrote:Best tournaments; World Championships in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007
UK Championships in 2005
Masters 2004, 2010
Welsh Open 2007
Shanghai Masters 2009

i agree 2008 worlds were dire

So predictable

the final made me :zzz:

Postby Tubberlad

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:Best tournaments; World Championships in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007
UK Championships in 2005
Masters 2004, 2010
Welsh Open 2007
Shanghai Masters 2009

So predictable

What about the Hendry-O'Sullivan semi-final GJ ;)

Postby GJ

thetubberlad wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:
UK Championships in 2005
Masters 2004, 2010
Welsh Open 2007
Shanghai Masters 2009

So predictable

What about the Hendry-O'Sullivan semi-final GJ ;)

it wasnt as bad as the final but that isnt saying much to be fair

<laugh>

Postby GJ

thetubberlad wrote:Ronnie was pretty good, wasn't he? Or did you prefer his masterclass in 2004 ;)

;)

Postby Roland

The other part of it is that I've watched that many events over that many years that even if I can think of one, I'll probably get the year wrong.

There was a spell when the UK was played in York and I went a lot of times and I saw a lot of great snooker and memorable moments, like when Ronnie walked out at 4-1 against Hendry, and seeing Ding win his first in fine style, and watching Ebdon beat Hendry with a hangover from the previous nights xmas party (I watched the first session from my sofa as I was too hungover to move despite having a ticket). I saw Davis beat Hendry in a semi-final and I'll never forget the buzz around the Barbican Centre and the pub between sessions when Davis lead 7-1 after the first session. I remember watching England win the Rugby World Cup on the monitor outside the arena and one minute after Jonny Wilkinson's winning drop goal the doors opened and I was front row to watch Mark Williams and then Ronnie O'Sullivan. I saw Ronnie thrash Williams after the day before going out on the snake hiss with both Ronnie and Williams (my two favourite players at the time and I had planned my week around their potential encounter) 8-4 down to Ebdon and Hendry respectively and then I came home at 2am and checked the ceefax thinking I was in for Ebdon v Hendry and couldn't believe my eyes when both had come back to win 9-8. And then I saw Ronnie beat Doherty in the final and took my dad (now passed on) to see Ronnie O'Sullivan just to show him why I kept going on about how good he was - that's a good memory. Ronnie blitzed him 8-1 that session. I saw Paul Hunter in the middle of chemo and couldn't believe it was him after trying to work out who the bald player was. It turned out to be his last ever win and I was there to see it. I missed Perry against David Gray (semi-final) and went to the pub over the road instead and was surprised to hear it was a great match that got everyone talking. I still don't know why, but it's my fault for choosing pool, darts and beer when I had tickets. I watched World Champion Graeme Dott against Robin Hull and I was the only person watching and I saw Dotty demonstrate the beauty of knocking a player out of his rhythm - Hull won a frame and missed the ball after frame ball which was a sitter, Dott didn't conceded and proceeded to make the frame last a further 20+ minutes and even though Hull won the frame, it knocked him for six. No one else saw it though. I also saw Mark Williams, current World Champion, lose to Fergal O'Brien in a match which kick started his slump which lasted for years. He was also on 49 consecutive round 1 wins and I wanted to witness his 50th. That's a bad memory though.

So I have to say the period that the UK was held at York. And that's my final answer. :santa:

Postby Roland

It could be he was on 48 and not 49 though...

Speak of Grand Prix, I did enjoy the 2007 one. Ronnie v Murphy in the semi-final was one of those exciting as it gets snooker matches, and then Fu beat Ronnie in the final with some really high quality play.

Postby Wildey

Best Tournament without a single Doubt in my Mind was the 1999 World Championship not only because Hendry won it but you had a World Semi Final consisting Hendry,Ronnie,Williams and Higgins.

4 of the greatest players thats ever lived all in the semi Final of The World Championship.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote::zzz:

tournaments you mentioned not even at the races mate

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:The other part of it is that I've watched that many events over that many years that even if I can think of one, I'll probably get the year wrong.

There was a spell when the UK was played in York and I went a lot of times and I saw a lot of great snooker and memorable moments, like when Ronnie walked out at 4-1 against Hendry, and seeing Ding win his first in fine style, and watching Ebdon beat Hendry with a hangover from the previous nights xmas party (I watched the first session from my sofa as I was too hungover to move despite having a ticket). I saw Davis beat Hendry in a semi-final and I'll never forget the buzz around the Barbican Centre and the pub between sessions when Davis lead 7-1 after the first session. I remember watching England win the Rugby World Cup on the monitor outside the arena and one minute after Jonny Wilkinson's winning drop goal the doors opened and I was front row to watch Mark Williams and then Ronnie O'Sullivan. I saw Ronnie thrash Williams after the day before going out on the pass water with both Ronnie and Williams (my two favourite players at the time and I had planned my week around their potential encounter) 8-4 down to Ebdon and Hendry respectively and then I came home at 2am and checked the ceefax thinking I was in for Ebdon v Hendry and couldn't believe my eyes when both had come back to win 9-8. And then I saw Ronnie beat Doherty in the final and took my dad (now passed on) to see Ronnie O'Sullivan just to show him why I kept going on about how good he was - that's a good memory. Ronnie blitzed him 8-1 that session. I saw Paul Hunter in the middle of chemo and couldn't believe it was him after trying to work out who the bald player was. It turned out to be his last ever win and I was there to see it. I missed Perry against David Gray (semi-final) and went to the pub over the road instead and was surprised to hear it was a great match that got everyone talking. I still don't know why, but it's my fault for choosing pool, darts and beer when I had tickets. I watched World Champion Graeme Dott against Robin Hull and I was the only person watching and I saw Dotty demonstrate the beauty of knocking a player out of his rhythm - Hull won a frame and missed the ball after frame ball which was a sitter, Dott didn't conceded and proceeded to make the frame last a further 20+ minutes and even though Hull won the frame, it knocked him for six. No one else saw it though. I also saw Mark Williams, current World Champion, lose to Fergal O'Brien in a match which kick started his slump which lasted for years. He was also on 49 consecutive round 1 wins and I wanted to witness his 50th. That's a bad memory though.

So I have to say the period that the UK was held at York. And that's my final answer. :santa:

sonny put this caption on the blog.

i really enjoyed reading for the 2nd time as the 1st time was in a pm convo between us

Postby Roland

Thanks rocket. I may rewrite it at some point, this was off the cuff, I let my fingers do the work as I recollected. But thanks.

Incidentally, the 1999 World Championships was special, but I preferred others.

What other tournaments did the Big Four all reach the semi-finals? (That's one for Alex)

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

OMFG I must be getting old

1982 WC for me . Red hot favourite Davis gets stuffed 10-1 by barely heard of Tony Knowles . Then replacement favourite Terry Griffiths goes out in round one to Willie Thorne

Second round Alex Higgins almost throw it away against Doug Mountjoy . Takes a 6-2 afternoon lead barely manages to keep his lead the next evening , should have 13-10 only to play a final frame decider that saw him 30 points down at one point and wins on the brown

Higgins goes on to beat Throne in the quarters while Knowles a sad portent of things to come in his game by inexplicably losing 11-13 against Charlton after leading 11-6

Higgins vs White semi final . I don't have to say anymore

The final saw Reardon and Higgins neck and neck most of the way till Higgins finally won 18-15

There's a few other tournaments that stick out

The 1980 WC since it was the first major tournament I saw on TV so that sticks out for personal reasons

Postby randam05

Hmm

Best - 2008 world champs (not the final, but the semi, the 147s and numerous other great matches)
2009/2010 Masters
2007 worlds maybe?

hmm poor memory i know theres some more i loved though.

Worst - 2008 Bahrain championship
2010 shanghai masters.

Postby SnookerFan

2003 World Championships had an amazing story running through it with Comeback Ken fighting off all comers, and nearly doing the same in the tournament.

The 2006 Master's Final remains my favourite match though.

Postby SnookerFan

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
UK Championships in 2005
Masters 2004, 2010
Welsh Open 2007
Shanghai Masters 2009

So predictable

And which was the one World Championship I took the risk and spent £200 on tickets to the final. :wild2: :wild2: :wild2: rofl