Post a reply

Re: Saudi Arabia to host Ranking Event

Postby Wildey

So Winning in Saudi in October next season will be worth 500k the same as this season World Championship.

BUT that might mean the 2021 World Championship wight be worth More.

Postby Wildey

whatever we say about Barry he has bring in the Cash at fantastic rate

Saudi never held a Snooker event before and BANG £2,500,000 off the bat

Postby McManusFan

I hope they do put the worlds pot up, it really feels wrong it not being the most important tournament.

I also wonder what the format will be, the draw makes it sound a bit like the UK championship of old, but I didn't see anything about frame length. Hopefully they are decent sized matches.

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:I hope they do put the worlds pot up, it really feels wrong it not being the most important tournament.

I also wonder what the format will be, the draw makes it sound a bit like the UK championship of old, but I didn't see anything about frame length. Hopefully they are decent sized matches.

Shootout rules.

Postby McManusFan

SnookerFan wrote:
McManusFan wrote:I hope they do put the worlds pot up, it really feels wrong it not being the most important tournament.

Shootout rules.

I know it does, but what about the new Saudi tournament?

Postby Ck147

Higgins better make sure he pays his taxi fare or he'll lose his hands

Postby Wildey

its a 7 day event with 128 players and 127 Matches so probably best of 7s like the Home Nations

Postby McManusFan

Wildey wrote:

its a 7 day event with 128 players and 127 Matches so probably best of 7s like the Home Nations

That sounds grim. I suppose they might play some qualifiers in Barnsley, which might give a little more time for the later stages at least. Best of 7s for that much money really doesn't seem on.

Postby eraserhead

Wildey wrote:whatever we say about Barry he has bring in the Cash at fantastic rate

Saudi never held a Snooker event before and BANG £2,500,000 off the bat

I'd rather more money came to well established events so the worlds doesn't completely eclipse the others in terms of prize money.
Last edited by eraserhead on 08 Dec 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

McManusFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:

That sounds grim. I suppose they might play some qualifiers in Barnsley, which might give a little more time for the later stages at least. Best of 7s for that much money really doesn't seem on.

according to this statement all 128 players are going to saudi

"The Saudi Arabia Snooker Masters will be a world ranking event with all 128 tour players in the field."

Postby TheRocket

I hope the final will be something like bo29 or bo31. Bo25 at the very least.

If there's such big money involved you need a very long final. Bo19 or Bo21 is not enough.

edit: just seen its run over 7 days. well it aint gonna happen then.
Last edited by TheRocket on 08 Dec 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Given the tiered draw there will probably be best of 11's.

It might be a controversial event.

First Round 32 Matches

Second Round 32 Matches
Third Round 32 Matches
Fourth Round 16 Matches
Fifth Round 8 Matches
Quarters 4 Matches
Semi 2 Matches
Final 1 Match

Total 127 Matches over 7 Days

Home Nations

First Round 64 Matches
Second Round 32 Matches
Third Round 16 Matches
Fourth Round 8 Matches
Quarters 4 Matches
Semi 2 Matches
Final 1 Match

Total 127 Matches over 7 Days

Postby Cloud Strife

This is very exciting news indeed to have a brand new tournament of this magnitude.

My only regret is the event will be held in Riyadh and not Mecca.

Postby HappyCamper

it was rumoured they were going to have an event in ksa this year - one of the 'potential ranking events' that were in the original announcement. but they didn't get a deal sorted in time.

Postby Jmoita

GeF wrote:I hope Reanne wins a spot in Q School in order to see if she have to play with a burka.

This coment is gold!

More money is good for the circuit, but a tournment in Saudi Arabia with this magnitude, is shiting on the fans... First of all there's the human rights question, than there is the mobility of the fans, its hard to get in SA.. Of corse there is local fans, but Qatar, UAE or something has the money, the fans, and is much more open..
And then there is the question of having the 2nd bigest tournment in SA... China I could understand, lots of fans, a well estabilished snooker market, lots of players etc etc.. but Saudi Arabia is just selling your heart..

Postby Wildey

This is a Post from Marko Pietari

I think this is a terrible decision. this seems to indicate money is all that matters. That is not a modern approach. FIFA, IAAF and IOC have got lots of criticism for granting events to countries such as Qatar that have serious internal issues with hundreds dying in sports-related construction works, for instance. There are people boycotting events held in countries such as Saudi Arabia. Sport federations can't ignore these ethical issues any more. With this decision, snooker doesn't even aim to be a front runner; instead it sticks to the old ways. Compare: betting sponsors: World Snooker doesn't even seem to be trying to reduce its dependence on bookmakers although more and more people see the betting industry in a negative light and lawmakers are creating more and more restrictions. World Snooker seems to completely ignore what is happening in the outside world and it could lead them to big troubles. If it really is a ten-year deal, I am puzzled. What's more, the money is unproportionate and the ranking list is losing its significance (it is reflecting the abilities and performances of the players less and less well). The increased prize money for the Shoot-Out is another factor having the same effect, the invitational rankers another. The money is already too top-heavy and these mad winner's prizes don't help the situation at all. I think a return to a points-based list could be a good move although I'm afraid that won't happen. When it comes to the tiered draw, both approaches have their pros and cons but now the situation is very contradictory with Hearn advocating for a 'level' structure but adding all the time more and more seeding/tiered structure. Money seems to overthrow principles. In other words, I don't like the news. What's positive, though, is that all the rounds are played at the venue - all players are treated equally instead of holding the qualifiers in the UK, giving the British players a major advantage. This is definitely a step in the right direction but I'm afraid that's the only positive thing in the event.

it will be interesting to see whether there will be a proper crowd. As far as I'm aware, snooker is seriously popular in Iran and in some other nearby countries so there is some potential but I'm not sure which countries have a friendly relationship with Saudi Arabia and which don't. There were two competing blocs, I think..?

Postby Ck147

Does this mean we'll need a new "Middle Eastern Events" section added to the main Snooker Events page? Is that going to be an up hill struggle, or do we just include it in Asian events?