Post a reply

Ronnie's aftermath of the 140-147 incident

Postby Monique

http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/wor ... livan.html
ROCKET CONSIDERS QUITTING

Ronnie O'Sullivan claims the furore over his refusal to complete a 147 break at the World Open in Glasgow has made him consider his future in the sport.

The world number six completed his 3-0 win over Mark King on Monday with a maximum - but only after referee Jan Verhaas urged him to pot the final black "for the fans".

O'Sullivan had asked Verhaas after potting the first black what prize was on offer for a 147, and was disappointed to learn later in the frame that he only stood to claim the £4,000 highest break prize.

And he told talkSPORT: "I'm not going to change, I'll never change. I was talking to (World Snooker chairman) Barry Hearn yesterday and I told him: 'If you like, that can be my last game of snooker ever. I'm quite happy to walk away' - and I mean that.

"I'm not going to change. I'm going to carry on doing what I do. I don't hurt anybody. I love my sport. I'm not a parakeet. I'm not into gambling. I play snooker because I love the game and try to play to the best of my ability.

"I said to Barry that I'm not the most confident person when I'm out there and it's hard for me to get up for playing. That's why I'm happy to walk away.

"I sometimes get frustrated with my own performance because I like to play at a high level all the time and, when I don't do that, my behaviour can reflect that because I do strange things."

And he played down the seriousness of Monday's peculiar episode, saying: "I just thought I'd have a bit of fun. The money wasn't an issue. I just thought I'd ruffle a few feathers to get everyone on their toes.

"The 147 was on and I fancied it, even though I'm not playing well. I don't fancy myself to win this tournament because I'm not playing well enough, but I can make a maximum.

"So I thought I'd go for it and I didn't mean anything malicious by it [the refusal to pot the black]. I really wasn't going to pot the black but I can't believe everyone's getting so crazy about it.

"My biggest buzz in my sport was when I was playing at 16 in front of my hero, Stephen Hendry, and it was the first time he'd seen me play. I was playing James Wattana and I made a 140 break and decided not to pot the black. And Hendry just looked as if to say, 'you know what, I like that'. It's something only other top sportsmen would appreciate.

"I'm a bit disappointed that everyone is finding the negative in it because it's about entertainment and expressing yourself, and that's all I was doing.

"It was about proving a point, not about the money. I'll give the £4,000 to charity because it's not the money. It would be nice if there was a bigger prize - I think there should be really - but I wasn't losing any sleep over it. It's just weird what some people read into it."

Well I just hope a good night of sleep will make him reconsider ... or just think about what he will be doing away from snooker.
I'm not too worried ;)

Re: Ronnie's aftermath of the 140-147 incident

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Mon, I know you adore the guy, but I can't don't believe one word that comes out of his mouth. I don't think he does either. He is so unstable it isnt funny.

I want to enjoy him, I really do. When he's in full flow, no better sight. But this unwanted attention that he brings on himself, well I can't get my head round it. :huh2:

Postby Smart

Walking contradiction I'm afraid. Its not about the money but it is. :huh: Not here to bash him or anything, but he will give the £4k to charity, that is very nice touch. Would he do the same with a much larger prize......if he would then <cool> , if not then again makes himself look silly.

I have no issue with being motivated by money, its natural and I appreciate that as reason to push yourself......but on the other hand some people have got it real tough (blimey they were giving away half price tickets, that is a clue here and the venue was still half empty). It was great viewing and will remain on my Sky+ list - FACT.

Interviews are not in his best interest, that is obvious. <ok>

Postby Bourne

Thompson Lykes wrote:I think more players should just walk away once they have won the frame. What does it matter is you score 99 or 101. It might help some stato to get off a bit quicker

That's also my feeling, at the very least the player should play a few exhibition shots when they're safely past the winning line, like Williams tends to. But 147s should be gone for, high-break prize-money a nice bonus.

Postby Monique

and Simon Hattenstone take of it ;)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... -147-break?
He can sound potty but at least Ronnie O'Sullivan tells it like it is
Snooker's box-office star has a wonderful ability to create drama in a sport that can easily become a bore – as he demonstrated with his 147 outburst

Let's get one thing straight. What Ronnie O'Sullivan did at the World Open in Glasgow yesterday was bloody daft. Refusing to complete a 147 break when you've scored 140 and you've got an easy black on the table is petulant, spoilt and an insult to snooker fans. Not the kind of behaviour we need at a time when the sport's reputation is at its nadir and snooker is desperately trying to crawl out of a slough of despond.

As for his argument that winning four grand for the highest break is not worth the time it takes to pot the black because after taxes he can't even get a decent holiday out of it, do us a favour Ronnie – put a sock in it.

But having said all that, his reluctance to complete the 147 (he was eventually persuaded to finish off by the referee Jan Verhaas who "guilt-tripped" him into doing it) is one of the reasons I love Ronnie. While so many sportsmen have been accused of being on the make in some sly, devious, or downright dishonest manner, Ronnie is the polar opposite. All his loopy behaviour is thoroughly transparent. So where other players are accused of throwing frames, he simply retires from one that he could easily win because he's so disgusted by his own form. And when others want to screw everything they can out of their sport, he turns down a quick four grand to make a political point of sorts.

After all, what better way of drawing attention to the fact that there is virtually no money in snooker these days? Yes, he makes a very good living out of the game, as do the handful of players who win competitions. But take away the top 10 and it's virtually impossible to make a living from the sport.

The transparency is almost an affliction with Ronnie. He can't help himself. He has to say how things are – or at least how he sees them. When I was ghosting his autobiography, he told me about the time he was in the Priory trying to get to grips with his addictions, naked under the bed sheets, and an elderly nurse walked in and he got a "semi". Strictly speaking, this was not essential information for a snooker memoir. But as far as he was concerned it was. So this is how the conversation went with his mother Maria, the book's taste monitor:

Ronnie: "Mum, d'you think I should keep my semi in the book?"

Maria: "Well, it's your semi, Ron, you've got to make the choice."

So we kept the semi in.

Which almost takes us back to yesterday's 147. Ronnie says making a maxi is a special achievement – and should be marked with a special bonus. (At the world championship, a 147 is traditionally rewarded with £147,000.) And he's got a point. But so have the snooker authorities who say the standard is so high these days that a 147 isn't sufficiently special to merit a reward in every tournament (plus, they can no longer insure against a 147).

Ronnie has always had a wonderful ability to create drama out of a sport that can easily become a snore bore. And yesterday he did it again. After all, in almost refusing to complete his 147 he made more news than he would have done if he'd quietly, politely made a record-breaking 10th maximum in competition. And however much the snooker overlord Barry Hearn might protest that Ronnie is bonkers and that he was in danger of bringing the game into disrepute , he must be thankful that snooker's presiding genius has once again got the country talking about the sport for (almost) the right reasons.

bonkers is the word!

Postby Noel

Thompson Lykes wrote:it is The Guardian - surprised he hasn't condemned the game for the number of elephants that have to be shot for their ivory so you can make a full-size table

Props for most creatively On-Topic AND Ronniesque post.

O'Sullivan is a mystery wrapped in a conundrum wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a vest.

The thought we would never witness his theatre again is unthinkable.

=o)

Noel

Postby Wildey

Ronnie is making himself look like a Price goof...

Quit Snooker over that bucking hell..... go on then quit <ok> i dare you :bird:

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:Ronnie is making himself look like a Price goof...

Quit Snooker over that intercoursing hell..... go on then quit <ok> i dare you :bird:

Price goof, oh the eye-ronnie.

Postby Bourne

I read that he's earnt about £6.3m career earnings so far, if anyone should not be bothered about a few extra grand, it should be someone like Ronnie. But it was theatre, it's why we watch the game.

Bourne wrote:I read that he's earnt about £6.3m career earnings so far, if anyone should not be bothered about a few extra grand, it should be someone like Ronnie. But it was theatre, it's why we watch the game.

Why does he speak out of both sides of his mouth so often then? That's what bothers me, as it does with people who do it in any other walks of life.

The guy has no prinicples, he's not in touch with reality, plays a mighty fine game of Snooker, will go far, on the table....

Bourne wrote:But as a snooker fan, shouldn't we really only care about what happens on the table ?

The influence my friend that the fella has on the game holds no boundaries. That's my worry.

Postby Sickpotter

I'm good John, tx for asking <cool> ....you?

Yeah, that comment about how he couldn't care less about the fans is just brutal. :mood:

I'm to the point that I hope he does quit, nothing but :fart: outta him.

Why did such table brilliance have to be combined in equal measure with sheer stupidity :huh:

sickpotter wrote:I'm good John, tx for asking <cool> ....you?
Yeah, that comment about how he couldn't care less about the fans is just brutal. :mood:
I'm to the point that I hope he does quit, nothing but :fart: outta him.
Why did such table brilliance have to be combined in equal measure with sheer stupidity :huh:

Cool & the Gang this end SP. <ok> Need to get hitting them soon. Over 40's in October kicks off....

Bourne. Yip, he gets them talking, however look at the 606 articles since yesterday. Its who he gets talking is my problem. Chav Snooker I don't want.

Postby Bourne

666 is a bad example, they're all mugs on there, rabid idiots. I watched Sky News for the first time in a couple of weeks this morning and what were they showing ? BBC footage of the frame, not many situations would see that happen. It's not like he killed anyone though. I like this quote from the great LeBron James: It's not me that's arrogant, it's my skills that are arrogant.

Class.

Postby Roland

In all fairness, this has been overblown. It was his break, if he wants to leave the last black it's up to him not anybody else. I reckon he would've potted the black anyway without Jan asking him. He's got the 147 contest with Hendry and the 9 darter contest with Phil Taylor going on too.

I did like the comment about him doing it and impressing Hendry when he was 16.

Postby randam05

Chav Snooker I don't want.

Brilliant John! good man. Well said.

And yes Bourne.. its got people talking about snooker and at the moment ronnie is doing a better job at promoting the sport than barry hearn. My point about snooker not being promoted which you may have seen in previous threads is the biggest issue for me and gets me so worked up cause no matter what hearny is doing with this tournament it isnt going to attract any more tv viewers for sure. I will find it tv audiences for this after the tournament compared to last years grand prix and will there be any more? i doubt it..probs less. Cause he hasnt promoted it and im waiting for him to do something about it. I do get angry about this cause hes missing an OBVIOUS trick.

Postby Noel

Bourne wrote:But as a snooker fan, shouldn't we really only care about what happens on the table ?

Yes.
Shouldn't snooker fans who know how gifted O'Sullivan really is and how important he is to the present and future
of our sport be cutting him AT LEAST as much slack as for Alex Higgins?
Both of them carry/carried on like spoiled kids. True. Only, Ron isn't mean and nasty. Get over it and watch his game.

It's the fans who want to change Ronnie who are the seriously selfish ones... throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Great idea that!

=o(

Noel

Postby Bourne

Yes I think it's sad that some people want Ronnie to just be a boring man who sits in his chair nicely with his top button done up and only speaks when he's spoken too. He is what he is, just accept it IMO