Post a reply

Losing touch while practicing

Postby rekoons

I’ve been back playing more lately, also some solo practice, but seem to struggle after about an hour to 1.5 hours. I start well, focused and all, but after an hour I need to take a short break because I start missing everything. Can’t get the cue going anymore and feels like I’m playing with someone else’s arm...

Don’t feel like I lose focus or attention, taking a break is also no problem, but just wondering why I can lose touch so all of a sudden, and has anyone else got this?

Seems less of a problem during matches.

Re: Losing touch while practicing

Postby Dan-cat

rekoons wrote:I’ve been back playing more lately, also some solo practice, but seem to struggle after about an hour to 1.5 hours. I start well, focused and all, but after an hour I need to take a short break because I start missing everything. Can’t get the cue going anymore and feels like I’m playing with someone else’s arm...

Don’t feel like I lose focus or attention, taking a break is also no problem, but just wondering why I can lose touch so all of a sudden, and has anyone else got this?

Seems less of a problem during matches.

Have you tried switching up routines? There are some great ones in the coaching / practice section of this site.

Postby rekoons

Thing is i’m trying to find the sweet spot between alternating different routines but also to devote a little more time to certain types of shots or angles I know I struggle with.
I don’t do sets of 50 long blues for sake of example cause that’s mentally draining and just too repetitive and would lead to loss of focus and consequently perhaps also ‘touch’ for lack of better term.

What I like to do instead is play the same shot 10x with stun/no effect, 10x topspin and 10x screw to keep it interesting and end up playing the shot 30 times.
I do this for a couple of shots and keep track of the score and try to improve, so that sets a goal and keeps me motivated and also adds a little pressure when a new PR is in sight, which might come in handy during matches.

I think this approach might over time move the problem shots from the ‘rubbish I struggle with these’ zone to the ‘allright, I’ve got this’ zone by having familiarized them and not end up twitching or cueing across.

We’ll see if it works… <laugh>

Postby rekoons

yeah but there's no way around I guess and the only way to improve...
I quite like the challenge right now.