Post a reply

Will Ronnie respond vs Judd in finals?

Postby Erza Scarlet

So it's been pretty clear Judd's had the number on Ronnie in the last 3 finals. The last time Ronnie lost a final against a different player was in 2017 against Murphy 2 years ago but all 3 final losses have come against the same player - Judd, their rivalry has taken a different route to the point it's one way traffic for Judd right now and it could get more ugly.

It's coming to the point of frustration for the fans and I'm sure for Ronnie as well, he has a lot of pride and he knows what's happening to him so can Ronnie respond in a similar fashion at his stage of his career?

To me it does look like the young is starting to take over the old because Ronnie's always on the backfoot against Judd these days and I think Ronnie has to avoid Judd to win a tournament right now but you just don't know with Ronnie.

What do you guys think?

Re: Will Ronnie respond vs Judd in finals?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I think it is early days.

Ronnie is due to smack Judd up and I thought it would be today. It will happen and I will have to eat crow. In terms of trends, I think Judd has now got what he lacked - an aura of invincibility. The next year will tell whether he can turn the screw.

Postby Iranu

I don’t think today’s loss had anything to do with it being Judd, actually.

His game wasn’t in great shape all week except his breakbuilding which was what won him 7 frames today, 6 off Judd’s errors.

He also beat him in the Tour Final semi which was as long a format as your average final.

Judd has the edge in finals no doubt, but I don’t think Ronnie fans should fear them meeting at the end of tournaments.

I’m sure Ronnie will defeat him in a final at some stage maybe even this season.

But I expect Judd to have a comfortable lead in their final record by the time Ronnie retires.

Postby Andre147

I think Ronnie will definately have more wins against him, but maybe he could start having a Finals syndrome against him, hope not.

Postby Pink Ball

Sullivan wasn't at full throttle today and gave Judd Trump – who I regard as the best player in the world, comfortably – a decent run for his money. He'll have his moment again.

I do think this is becoming a very good rivalry. Trump has never been scared of O'Sullivan, and that's always been nice to see.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Pink Ball wrote:Sullivan wasn't at full throttle today and gave Judd Trump – who I regard as the best player in the world, comfortably – a decent run for his money. He'll have his moment again.

I do think this is becoming a very good rivalry. Trump has never been scared of O'Sullivan, and that's always been nice to see.

It's already a good rivalry they are tied 13 matches each but right now it's looking one way traffic in the last 3 finals. At least Ronnie would look convincing in 1/3 finals but Judd's been the one dictating things in all 3 while Ronnie has to play catch up, that's what worries me this rivalry might start to become one sided especially in finals.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:Sullivan wasn't at full throttle today and gave Judd Trump – who I regard as the best player in the world, comfortably – a decent run for his money. He'll have his moment again.

Is there a point in this post somewhere? Basically says buck all

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

To anyone even mildly intelligent, it should be clear. Alas, here we are.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

To anyone even mildly intelligent, it should be clear. Alas, here we are.

Says the man who posts everything twice in his own thread.

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:Pinks and BSP

<laugh> :bags:

Trying to keep my sides from splitting, loving it!

Postby Cloud Strife

Erza Scarlet wrote:

It's already a good rivalry they are tied 13 matches each but right now it's looking one way traffic in the last 3 finals. At least Ronnie would look convincing in 1/3 finals but Judd's been the one dictating things in all 3 while Ronnie has to play catch up, that's what worries me this rivalry might start to become one sided especially in finals.

It's only natural that Judd will go onto dominate this rivalry now. Both of their career trajectories are going completely in the opposite direction.

Postby SnookerFan

Judd has finally become the player he has threatening to become fir at least a decade. I am sure he'll beat Ronnie several times in the future.

I still think Ronnie will beat him again though.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Judd has finally become the player he has threatening to become fir at least a decade. I am sure he'll beat Ronnie several times in the future.

I still think Ronnie will beat him again though.

of course he will win again just too good not to

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think it will do Ronnie good to be the underdog for once and to have Judd as the favourite in the spotlight all the time. Ronnie has been the favourite for years and the pressure hasn't done him much good I think. It's much easier being the underdog. Of course, this might be wishful thinking. People will probably still see Ronnie as favourite or at least will talk about him all the time... Must be tiresome.

I see some people were talking about dominating eras and the fact that Ronnie hasn't dominated like Hendry or Davis... The way I see it is those guys had one decade where they dominated and they started falling apart because the competition changed... But Ronnie has spread his dominance over 3 decades and has adapted to the new young challengers that keep coming along. He's in his forties now and still at the top.

Postby TheRocket

gallantrabbit wrote:Great rivalry but Judd a step ahead of anyone quite simply because he's the playing the best snooker ever seen.

Its obvious that he is playing to a higher level than anyone else atm. But thats all.

To say its the best snooker ever seen is a joke considering he's not even had half of the success what few of the other greats have had in this game.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

gallantrabbit wrote:Great rivalry but Judd a step ahead of anyone quite simply because he's the playing the best snooker ever seen.

Can't say best ever seen. You could argue that his WC performance was one of the most dominant in a final but not the best ever seen.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:

Its obvious that he is playing to a higher level than anyone else atm. But thats all.

To say its the best snooker ever seen is a joke considering he's not even had half of the success what few of the other greats have had in this game.

Yes, this.

He's matured and is playing well now. I don't think it's just the case of being the form player, because he's been like this for a year now.

Saying he's playing the best snooker ever seen is a stretch. Considering he lost the final in Coventry, and gave Ronnie several chances to take frames in Belfast.

His play in The Crucible final was awesome, don't get me wrong. And he's finally become the player he's been promising to be for some years now. I can see Judd being at the business end of most tournaments for the next few years now, and will obviously win many more trophies. But that doesn't mean he's some unbeatable demigod.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sometimes I think some here were not watching snooker from 2000 until 2010 roughly. That was the best standard I've seen, honestly. Judd is fantastic, but come on, he's not better than prime Ronnie or Higgins. Or prime Hendry for that matter. Or prime Selby even.

Postby SnookerFan

If I had to pick the best snooker I've ever seen played, I'd probably go with Ronnie at the 2004 Crucible.

And even that, I wouldn't make the proclamation that it was the best snooker ever played. Because that would imply I'd seen all snooker ever played. (And that my opinion on what the best snooker is is anything other than my opinion.)

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think it will do Ronnie good to be the underdog for once and to have Judd as the favourite in the spotlight all the time. Ronnie has been the favourite for years and the pressure hasn't done him much good I think. It's much easier being the underdog. Of course, this might be wishful thinking. People will probably still see Ronnie as favourite or at least will talk about him all the time... Must be tiresome.

I see some people were talking about dominating eras and the fact that Ronnie hasn't dominated like Hendry or Davis... The way I see it is those guys had one decade where they dominated and they started falling apart because the competition changed... But Ronnie has spread his dominance over 3 decades and has adapted to the new young challengers that keep coming along. He's in his forties now and still at the top.

This.

Hope the date went well!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think it will do Ronnie good to be the underdog for once and to have Judd as the favourite in the spotlight all the time. Ronnie has been the favourite for years and the pressure hasn't done him much good I think. It's much easier being the underdog. Of course, this might be wishful thinking. People will probably still see Ronnie as favourite or at least will talk about him all the time... Must be tiresome.

This.

Hope the date went well!

It was very nice, thank you.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

This.

Hope the date went well!

It was very nice, thank you.

Did you score?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:If I had to pick the best snooker I've ever seen played, I'd probably go with Ronnie at the 2004 Crucible.

And even that, I wouldn't make the proclamation that it was the best snooker ever played. Because that would imply I'd seen all snooker ever played. (And that my opinion on what the best snooker is is anything other than my opinion.)

I agree.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Sounds like someone wants a war lol I hope Ronnie reads this and fires him up immensely.

Sounds like what the anti-Ronnie fans say on this forum "Ronnie is only good when he has chances/scares people/other players have mental block". Judd would fit perfectly in here.

Postby sas6789

Holden Chinaski wrote:Sometimes I think some here were not watching snooker from 2000 until 2010 roughly. That was the best standard I've seen, honestly. Judd is fantastic, but come on, he's not better than prime Ronnie or Higgins. Or prime Hendry for that matter. Or prime Selby even.

I definitely agree with the first three but i can't remember seeing Selby playing better than Judd is atm.

Postby TheRocket

I'm not surprised about Trumps tweet. Because thats the real Trump. He was like that in 2011/2012 but then kept his mouth shut because the results went downhill and he hadnt won a major for 7 years. Now he gets cocky again and shows his real face.

Hopefully ROS will see that comment.