Post a reply

Judd has a problem with Ronnie?

Postby Rockettim147

It seems to me that Judd always has a dig at Ronnie when he can. He said something about Ronnie in Crawley and now this.

“Thepchaiya is the most exciting player in the game, he has even overtaken Ronnie O’Sullivan. A lot of other players think he’s the best to watch and I agree with that. He is free-flowing and gets on with the game. We need more people like that in snooker. He plays a bit like I did five or ten years ago, he hasn’t got a care in the world, he goes for his shots and if they go in then he’s unbeatable. It should be a good final for the fans, though hopefully I can win a bit more easily

Judd definitely has a problem with Ronnie. He knows he probably can’t beat his records and he won’t have his fan base. Ronnie has always said positive things about Judd. But it’s bizarre.

Re: Judd has a problem with Ronnie?

Postby Rockettim147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Seems like a straightforward compliment to Thep and a backhanded compliment to Ronnie.

Why look for problems where none exist?

I appreciate what you are saying, but it seems to me that Judd has an issue. Monique who takes pictures and is at tournaments pointed it out to me.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Rockettim147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Seems like a straightforward compliment to Thep and a backhanded compliment to Ronnie.

Why look for problems where none exist?

I appreciate what you are saying, but it seems to me that Judd has an issue. Monique who takes pictures and is at tournaments pointed it out to me.

Fair enough but there is nothing in that statement that makes me think he is being anything other than complimentary.

Postby Iranu

When he says Thep’s overtaken Ronnie I’m pretty sure he just means average shot time.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Judd and Ronnie get along great. Judd is right, Thep is great to watch when he's playing his best.

Thep is technically faster than Ronnie, if you base it on AST. Though, I think Judd is slightly overstating Thep's current popularity with the fans by suggesting he's above Ronnie, if Thep gets more known with the fans he could get a loyal fan base I reckon.

I agree with his comments in Crawley. Why did Ronnie turn up if he hates it so much? (I suspect those comments came after he was asked, by the way.)

Postby Rockettim147

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Judd and Ronnie get along great. Judd is right, Thep is great to watch when he's playing his best.

Thep is technically faster than Ronnie, if you base it on AST. Though, I think Judd is slightly overstating Thep's current popularity with the fans by suggesting he's above Ronnie, if Thep gets more known with the fans he could get a loyal fan base I reckon.

I agree with his comments in Crawley. Why did Ronnie turn up if he hates it so much? (I suspect those comments came after he was asked, by the way.)

Good point

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:

Seems obvious to me he was talking about AST. He doesn’t mention popularity at any point.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Seems obvious to me he was talking about AST. He doesn’t mention popularity at any point.

I certainly think we're looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Though, I will say that AST being faster for Thep doesn't mean Thep is better than Ronnie's. Ronnie has him beaten in literally every other way.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Judd said Thep was the "best to watch" and has overtaken Ronnie in that department. He was saying Thep is more exciting than Ronnie, not better than Ronnie obviously.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:Thep is technically faster than Ronnie, if you base it on AST.

Thep is faster than a 43 year old Ronnie. A young Ronnie was faster than Thep. A young Tony Drago was even faster.

Top fastest snooker players of all time:

1. Tony Drago
2. Young Ronnie
3. Young Alex Higgins
4. Young Jimmy White
5. Thep
6. Current Ronnie

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:And btw, Judd was having a dig at Ronnie. He was suggesting Thep is more exciting to watch, which is nonsense.

Seems most people do not agree but who you find exciting to watch is a matter of personal taste. I prefer watching Thep to Ronnie matches in the main, but I am sure most would disagree

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:And btw, Judd was having a dig at Ronnie. He was suggesting Thep is more exciting to watch, which is nonsense.

The fact he says ‘overtaken’ Ronnie to me makes it clear he’s talking about speed.

Also you could argue Thep’s more exciting because he misses more.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:

The fact he says ‘overtaken’ Ronnie to me makes it clear he’s talking about speed.

Spot on Iranu.

That is why I find Selby very exciting to watch at the moment because I want him to do well but when I am watching I am nervous about every shot.That is what makes it great viewing for me.

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Thep is technically faster than Ronnie, if you base it on AST.

Thep is faster than a 43 year old Ronnie. A young Ronnie was faster than Thep. A young Tony Drago was even faster.

Top fastest snooker players of all time:

1. Tony Drago
2. Young Ronnie
3. Young Alex Higgins
4. Young Jimmy White
5. Thep
6. Current Ronnie

Yeah that list sounds about right.

Tony Drago and young Ronnie were mad when it comes to playing quick.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Spot on Iranu.

That is why I find Selby very exciting to watch at the moment because I want him to do well but when I am watching I am nervous about every shot.That is what makes it great viewing for me.

How can the fact that there's a risk your favorite player might miss ever be classified as exciting to watch ?!?
:? :dizzy: :hmmm:

You are just like Wildey. <doh> <doh> <doh>

IF you have said that you enjoy Selbo laying a tough snooker, I would have understood/accepted that, even though I enjoy attacking play. But what you said is nonsense.

A player is exciting to watch only in these situations:
OPTION A: when he plays ultra aggressive all out attack snooker, like a young Alex Higgins, Jimmy White, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Judd Trump.
OPTION B: when he plays the game to the highest level, with huge scoring power, making incredible pots and tons after tons, like ROS, Hendry, Trump.
OPTION C (my least favorite): when a player plays a great all round game, like a prime Davis, J.Higgins, Robbo, Selbo, and even ROS.

When 2 players play at a below par standard, the fact that you don't know which one would win does not mean the game is exciting (like Wildey wrongly believes). It simply means you have 2 players who bucking suck.
buck, you and Wildey should come and watch some of the local events I go to from time to time. Some of the competitors can't bucking make a 20 break. The level they're playing at is a complete joke, but hey, the matches are close, I'm sure you two would love it. rofl

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Spot on Iranu.

How can the fact that there's a risk your favorite player might miss ever be classified as exciting to watch ?!?
:? :dizzy: :hmmm:

You are just like Wildey. <doh> <doh> <doh>

IF you have said that you enjoy Selbo laying a tough snooker, I would have understood/accepted that, even though I enjoy attacking play. But what you said is nonsense.

A player is exciting to watch only in these situations:
OPTION A: when he plays ultra aggressive all out attack snooker, like a young Alex Higgins, Jimmy White, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Judd Trump.
OPTION B: when he plays the game to the highest level, with huge scoring power, making incredible pots and tons after tons, like ROS, Hendry, Trump.
OPTION C (my least favorite): when a player plays a great all round game, like a prime Davis, J.Higgins, Robbo, Selbo, and even ROS.

When 2 players play at a below par standard, the fact that you don't know which one would win does not mean the game is exciting (like Wildey wrongly believes). It simply means you have 2 players who bucking suck.
buck, you and Wildey should come and watch some of the local events I go to from time to time. Some of the competitors can't bucking make a 20 break. The level they're playing at is a complete joke, but hey, the matches are close, I'm sure you two would love it. rofl

buck you and RocketTim too. :bird:

Postby Iranu

buck sake Johnny, you’ve completely missed the point :roll:

I said you could argue (note: I didn’t say I believe) that Thep is more exciting to watch than Ronnie because he misses more.

What I mean by that is, he’s capable of absolutely sublime snooker and wonderful breaks, but he’s also capable of missing the simplest of pots without warning. That means as a fan you’re on the edge of your seat, wondering if/when he’ll miss next.

Who else has missed as many final blacks for a 147 as they’ve actually made 147s? That’s insane, imagine how tense you’d be the next time he got to the final black for a maxi!

Exciting and enjoyable aren’t the same thing.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Iranu wrote:buck sake Johnny, you’ve completely missed the point :roll:

I said you could argue (note: I didn’t say I believe) that Thep is more exciting to watch than Ronnie because he misses more.

What I mean by that is, he’s capable of absolutely sublime snooker and wonderful breaks, but he’s also capable of missing the simplest of pots without warning. That means as a fan you’re on the edge of your seat, wondering if/when he’ll miss next.

Who else has missed as many final blacks for a 147 as they’ve actually made 147s? That’s insane, imagine how tense you’d be the next time he got to the final black for a maxi!

If missing snooker balls = exciting snooker then how do you explain Ronnie?

Because he didn't become the most popular player and built his reputation as the most entertaining player for the last two decades because he was missing balls, it was because of his sublime attacking play and making the game look easy that people got awed by it.

Just wondering lol

Postby Iranu

Erza Scarlet wrote:
Iranu wrote:buck sake Johnny, you’ve completely missed the point :roll:

If missing snooker balls = exciting snooker then how do you explain Ronnie?

Because he didn't become the most popular player and built his reputation as the most entertaining player for the last two decades because he was missing balls, it was because of his sublime attacking play and making the game look easy that people got awed by it.

Just wondering lol

Actually that kind of does explain Ronnie.

Ronnie spent the first 20-odd years of his career as a mercurial talent who was capable of blowing anyone off the table but equally capable of blowing up himself. It’s only since 2011 he’s been a consistent winner and the implosions and missed balls etc have been truly rare.

Nowadays his long ‘suffering’ fans are so happy to see him winning regularly because it’s almost a reward for years of watching him implode, have breakdowns, lose because he wasn’t trying etc.

Stephen Hendry was also capable of making the game look easy, and of exciting attacking play. But he was a consistent winner almost immediately, so the public didn’t take to him the same way.

If Ronnie played exactly the same way but won 5 world titles in a row in the 90s, he wouldn’t be anywhere near as popular as he is today. That’s not to say he wouldn't have fans because he’d still be awesome to watch, but he wouldn’t have as many as he does.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Iranu wrote:Actually that kind of does explain Ronnie.

Ronnie spent the first 20-odd years of his career as a mercurial talent who was capable of blowing anyone off the table but equally capable of blowing up himself. It’s only since 2011 he’s been a consistent winner and the implosions and missed balls etc have been truly rare.

Nowadays his long ‘suffering’ fans are so happy to see him winning regularly because it’s almost a reward for years of watching him implode, have breakdowns, lose because he wasn’t trying etc.

Stephen Hendry was also capable of making the game look easy, and of exciting attacking play. But he was a consistent winner almost immediately, so the public didn’t take to him the same way.

If Ronnie played exactly the same way but won 5 world titles in a row in the 90s, he wouldn’t be anywhere near as popular as he is today. That’s not to say he wouldn't have fans because he’d still be awesome to watch, but he wouldn’t have as many as he does.

That doesn’t make sense. If people are happy to see Ronnie win because of all the missed years then why wouldn’t they be happy to see him win if he did it earlier?

Because Ronnie already had a huge following when he was just on 1-2 world titles and when his overall tournament tally was nowhere near as close as it is now, actually even before he won his first title I was young but I remember people talking about how exciting he was because how quickly he played the game and made it look so easy on the eye.

There was a clear difference between the way he played and Hendry played. Hendry was a machine. Ronnie is more artistic and the only player where people kept calling him a genius, and still do. The way they go about their games is different in the same way Ronnie and Judd look different despite playing a similar brand.

Even when he’s been winning so much for the last two seasons the crowd still give the biggest cheers in his matches against any opponent including the underdogs, just look at the #1000 century frame when the crowd was going absolutely wild on every shot and that's just one example.

Also if missing snooker balls and playing mediocre was exciting then someone like Selby would have a bigger fan base and be filling up seats. But clearly that’s not the case.

I mean we're talking about a guy who used to appear in various tv shows in the 2000s and even had his own tv show which is rare in Snooker. It wasn't because he was playing mediocre snooker.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:If missing snooker balls = exciting snooker then how do you explain Ronnie?

Actually that kind of does explain Ronnie.

You are mistaken my friend. I didn't become a ROS fan cause you never knew what version of him would turn up. I became a fan due to his style of play.
He was very attacking, he played flashy shots, he played very fast. When he put his mind to it, he was great at all those things. And one more extremely important thing: he made it look (and still is) so damn easy. You could tell he was born to do that.
I would have loved him just the same or even more had he won many more titles in the 90's.
ROS and Hendry are both attacking players (and with time, ROS has become an amazing all rounder), but the main difference between them wasn't the fact that Hendry was winning more than him back then, it was the fact that Ronnie also played to entertain the crowd, he wasn't an egotistic sod like Hendry, who only played for himself. Plus I loved some of his antics as well, he was like an artist with a cue in his hand, Hendry was just a boring droid.
Entertainers will always be more loved than boring droids, it's all about the style of play, not just the trophies.
Even in modern times, look at Trump. He is great to watch due to the shots he plays, not due to his wins.

I also used to love the shots Jimmy and Alex attempted/pulled of. It isn't all about winning.

Postby Holden Chinaski

When I look back at Hendry in his prime now, I find him very entertaining to watch. Very attacking. Amazing break builder. Probably the best long potter ever. Nerves of steel. Hendry was great.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Anyway I don't think Judd was having a go but their relationship has definitely gone more serious in recent years. Those times when they used to hug each other or swap trophies are gone lol

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:When I look back at Hendry in his prime now, I find him very entertaining to watch. Very attacking. Amazing break builder. Probably the best long potter ever. Nerves of steel. Hendry was great.

If he would have been more charismatic and also played for the crowd, he'd have double the fanbase.
Btw, he's nowhere near the best long potter. Trump, Robbo and probably even Willo, they all surpass him.