Best Shanghai Masters win

No votes
92%
8%
No votes

Total votes : 13

Ronnie's best Shanghai Masters

Postby Erza Scarlet

Having finally watched the 2019 final I've found Ronnie's success in China for the last 3 years to be a surprise so which of his 4 titles do you consider his best win?

2017 for me. Williams > Higgins > Trump. He was destroying everyone there followed by 2009 which was in the same fashion. 2019 > 2018.

Re: Ronnie's best Shanghai Masters

Postby Ash147

I'd say 2017. He played some brilliant stuff throughout, beating some top players with ease. He destroyed Judd in that final. No one came close to him.

These were the results of Ronnie's matches;

5-2 Gary Wilson
5-1 Joe Perry
5-0 Barry Hawkins
5-1 Mark William's
6-2 John Higgins
10-3 Judd Trump

Postby Andre147

2017 by a mile, like it's been said before nobody came close to him, and he even destroyed 2 opponents which always cause him trouble, Higgins and Trump. Can't ask for much more, plus it being a ranker was even sweeter.

Postby Vallomas

I also voted for 2017 - I really enjoyed his performance at the final. Top match play and breakbuilding, he totally outplayed Trump.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Andre147 wrote:plus it being a ranker was even sweeter.

Ronnie probably would still be #1 I think if Shanghai remained a ranker for the last two years, that's £400k points which is huge. I don't think Judd's International win alone would've been enough to top it.

Postby Andre147

Erza Scarlet wrote:

Ronnie probably would still be #1 I think if Shanghai remained a ranker for the last two years, that's £400k points which is huge. I don't think Judd's International win alone would've been enough to top it.

It's a shame it's not a ranking event anymore.

And the format could remain the same, it would be sort of like the Players Champs with Top 16 players there, but played in China.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Andre147 wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:

It's a shame it's not a ranking event anymore.

And the format could remain the same, it would be sort of like the Players Champs with Top 16 players there, but played in China.

Leave it to Ronnie to start dominating the event when it became an invitational and during its last year of it being a ranking event lol

Postby Andre147

A strange one isn't it... his record in Shanghai is awesome, 4 titles from 5 Finals.

But the rest of China for the past 15 years is dreadful to say the least... only 1 ranking Semi.

Postby Erza Scarlet

When you put it like that yeah. If he entered all the Chinese tournaments the result would be different I think.

As bad as his record is outside of Shanghai even I don't see him not winning 1 or 2 ranking events down there in recent years if he entered all of them every year. He's bound to win a couple.

Treat them like the ITV events and you win loads lol

Postby Andre147

Would be great if he won the China Open, huge prize money on offer.

And he would be well prepared for the Worlds. I dont buy this "dont enter China Open to get more rest for the Worlds".

Ronnie didnt enter last year and look at what happened... as I said, if he won that one would be great, but in fairness he'll probably "only" keep winning in Shanghai.

Postby Iranu

I don’t think how you do in the China Open has any bearing on how you do at the Worlds, give or take the odd example like Judd in 2011.

The only thing which I think genuinely helps is the new qualification format helping qualifiers.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:His 2008 final is my favourite

He lost that one to Walden.

2017 my favourite, the one this year 2nd.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:His 2008 final is my favourite

He lost that one to Walden.

2017 my favourite, the one this year 2nd.

Billericay Dicky

:huh: