Post a reply

Will Ronnie O'Sullivan qualify for WGP ?

Poll ended at 27 Dec 2019

Yes, he will have a run in one of the remaining events.
67%
No, he's done.
11%
He don't care.
No votes
Other
22%

Total votes : 9

Re: Will Ronnie O'Sullivan qualify for WGP ?

Postby Ash147

Like I said in the World Open thread, it would seem as though there's only one ranking event that Ronnie intends to enter between now and then, which is the UK Championship. He needs to have a deep run there to stand any chance of qualifying for this event.

Unless he decides to enter some of the smaller ranking events, which he has been very critical of lately, I don't see it happening.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Northern Ireland and the UK are the only 2 tournaments he's got left to put in good runs, I don't see him playing in Scotland and the European Masters, maybe German Masters but only if he's got nothing to show for it in NI or the UK. That's how I see it.

Postby Andre147

Erza Scarlet wrote:Northern Ireland and the UK are the only 2 tournaments he's got left to put in good runs, I don't see him playing in Scotland and the European Masters, maybe German Masters but only if he's got nothing to show for it in NI or the UK. That's how I see it.

Exactly me too.

He will have a deep run in either NI or most likely the UK Champs, the latter he's had major sucess since 2014.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Andre147 wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:Northern Ireland and the UK are the only 2 tournaments he's got left to put in good runs, I don't see him playing in Scotland and the European Masters, maybe German Masters but only if he's got nothing to show for it in NI or the UK. That's how I see it.

Exactly me too.

He will have a deep run in either NI or most likely the UK Champs, the latter he's had major sucess since 2014.

3 in a row would be crazy, UK along with Masters been his most successful tournaments since 2014 but I do want him to play the German Masters again, was such an important tournament in 2012 for his resurgence plus it's a damn good event and venue lol

Postby Ash147

Erza Scarlet wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Exactly me too.

3 in a row would be crazy, UK along with Masters been his most successful tournaments since 2014 but I do want him to play the German Masters again, was such an important tournament in 2012 for his resurgence plus it's a damn good event and venue lol

That 2012 German Masters win was one of the big things that kick-started Ronnie's career. He went almost three years without winning anything, and was quite close to retirement at that point. This win not only confirmed his spot for the World Championship, but it gave him the confidence to go on and win it later that year. It would be great to see Ronnie play in the German Masters again.
Last edited by Ash147 on 28 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GeF

SnookerFan wrote:Who voted other? What other options are there?

I don't know who but there can be other options.
Like this one : "Barry Hearn gives Ronnie a Wild Card for Coral series". :roll:

Postby Johnny Bravo

ROS will qualify, don't worry. Glad to have you back Erza, you've been missed. :-) :wave:

Postby Erza Scarlet

Ash147 wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Exactly me too.

That 2012 German Masters win was one of the big things that kick-started Ronnie's career. He went almost three years without winning anything, and was quite close to retirement at that point. This win not only confirmed his spot for the World Championship, but it gave him the confidence to go on and win it later that year. It would be great to see Ronnie play in the German Masters again.

Yeah he would've retired had he lost to Andrew Higginson which would've been the final nail in the coffin, that was a monumental match. Never looked back after that.

And thanks Johnny glad to see you too! New season let's go! :D

Postby Andre147

I'm not gonna say it was 100% garanteed he would retire had he lost that Higginson match, BUT he would have dropped out of the Top 16 and having to qualify for the first time since he turned pro.

Then yes he might have packed it in. That match revived the 3rd part of his career.

I count them as 3: 1st when he turned pro, 2nd starting in 2004 when he worked with Reardon, and finally his 3rd after that match in 2012 and working with Steve Peters.

Postby Vallomas

I can see Ronnie qualifying for the World Grand Prix as 30th at the 1-year list, winning that trophy and qualifying for the rest of the Coral Series tournaments.

Postby Andre147

Vallomas wrote:I can see Ronnie qualifying for the World Grand Prix as 30th at the 1-year list, winning that trophy and qualifying for the rest of the Coral Series tournaments.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:I'm not gonna say it was 100% garanteed he would retire had he lost that Higginson match, BUT he would have dropped out of the Top 16 and having to qualify for the first time since he turned pro.

Then yes he might have packed it in. That match revived the 3rd part of his career.

I count them as 3: 1st when he turned pro, 2nd starting in 2004 when he worked with Reardon, and finally his 3rd after that match in 2012 and working with Steve Peters.

Well put.