Best player not to have won the WC

Jimmy White
68%
Ding Junhui
32%

Total votes : 28

Re: Best player not to have won the WC

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:Is John Higgins introduced as an 8-time World Championship finalist?

I don’t think Jimmy reaching 6 world finals means as much as you do, Johnny. It just means he was the ‘best’ of the losers in 6 world finals.

I’m not comfortable answering this poll because I never saw Jimmy at his peak, but using the 6 world finals in place of all the other achievements by both players doesn’t make much sense to me.

Also the poll is the ‘best’ player not to win the WC, not the ‘greatest’. So even if we accept that there’s a difference (which I don’t) that’s not the question being asked.

But I already answered that one: it's Ding, cause he can play to a higher level.
Atm, I just still see Jimmy as greater and more important for the sport.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:Is John Higgins introduced as an 8-time World Championship finalist?

I don’t think Jimmy reaching 6 world finals means as much as you do, Johnny. It just means he was the ‘best’ of the losers in 6 world finals.

I’m not comfortable answering this poll because I never saw Jimmy at his peak, but using the 6 world finals in place of all the other achievements by both players doesn’t make much sense to me.

Also the poll is the ‘best’ player not to win the WC, not the ‘greatest’. So even if we accept that there’s a difference (which I don’t) that’s not the question being asked.

But I already answered that one: it's Ding, cause he can play to a higher level.

No he isn’t. Ding has been the main man responsible for the sport pulling in fans and TV figures snooker could have never dreamed of.

Postby Ck147

Agree with you on that last point Pink. What Ding has done for snooker in China is incredible, and has benefited the whole of snooker. I remember watching some clips on how he is treated over there, absolute superstar, always mobbed by his fans, and not just a few, hundreds. Don't really see it on that scale here, more like a few fat blokes asking for an autograph.

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Michael Georgiou is held in similar high esteem in Malta.

You mean Cyprus right?

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Michael Georgiou is held in similar high esteem in Malta.

You mean Cyprus right?

No, he’s just inexplicably revered in Malta.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

No he isn’t. Ding has been the main man responsible for the sport pulling in fans and TV figures snooker could have never dreamed of.

But that is only due to the fact that he's Chinese. For the UK and European audiences, Jimmy will always be more important.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

But that is only due to the fact that he's Chinese. For the UK and European audiences, Jimmy will always be more important.

Jesus Christ...

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

You mean Cyprus right?

<ok>

I did not know that. Good for him as I like him, but don't follow him that much. BSP can you do one of your videos about him so I can learn more?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Ck147 wrote:

You mean Cyprus right?

<ok>

I did not know that. Good for him as I like him, but don't follow him that much. BSP can you do one of your videos about him so I can learn more?

It has been put forward but I am waiting on a funding decision.

If all goes well it will be out this side of Christmas

Postby Andre147

On second thought its probably Ding.

If we are talking World Champs alone, Jimmy is the best. But over a whole career Ding has won more than everything White has.

Postby sas6789

Johnny Bravo wrote:In terms of greatness, Jimmy is still superior, cause he has achieved more than Ding so far. Plus he was more exciting to watch.

But in terms of who is better, it's Ding, cause he has the better game overall.

Ding has won more ranking titles, more majors, made more centuries, more 147s and been number 1 in the world which Jimmy hasn't so how the hell has White achieved more?

Postby Holden Chinaski

sas6789 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:In terms of greatness, Jimmy is still superior, cause he has achieved more than Ding so far. Plus he was more exciting to watch.

Ding has won more ranking titles, more majors, made more centuries, more 147s and been number 1 in the world which Jimmy hasn't so how the hell has White achieved more?

He does have a very sexy younger girlfriend...

Postby Johnny Bravo

sas6789 wrote:

Ding has won 13 rankers to White's 10. But Ding has played in an era with far more ranking events. There were very few in the 80's. So only 3 more is not very relevant.
Jimmy reached 6 WC finals. 1 WC final is worth as much as a ranker in my eyes. Plus he's more of a legend than Ding.

Postby Ck147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
sas6789 wrote:

Yes, but she looks like a gold digging tart, would rather be married to someone like Ding's wife.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
sas6789 wrote:

Yes, but she looks like a gold digging tart, would rather be married to someone like Ding's wife.

Snooker WAGS

http://en.people.cn/90779/8221443.html

Postby Ck147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
sas6789 wrote:

Ding has won 13 rankers to White's 10. But Ding has played in an era with far more ranking events. There were very few in the 80's. So only 3 more is not very relevant.
Jimmy reached 6 WC finals. 1 WC final is worth as much as a ranker in my eyes. Plus he's more of a legend than Ding.

Jimmy was also ranked top 5 for 9 years in a row, with 2 years at no.2, Ding hasn't come close, he was only no.1 for 3 months in 2014/15, and ended up no.2 for that season.

Postby Ck147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Image

Jimmy not looking too bad there considering he's getting on for 60, I might reconsider my previous post, forget Ding's wife, Jimmy for me!

Postby Ck147

sas6789 wrote:

Jimmy was a better player in his time than Ding is in his. I think there is enough information in this thread now to put this to bed.

Comparing Ding now to Jimmy then just doesn't make sense, you can only compare the things that can be compared on equal basis, anything else is just subjective.

Both legends though for what they have done for snooker.

Postby Ck147

Ash147 wrote:Jimmy's girl is a 10. He's a lucky guy.

She is a fine looking filly, but is she caring, makes dishes and encourages him to train like Ding's wife?

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:On second thought its probably Ding.

If we are talking World Champs alone, Jimmy is the best. But over a whole career Ding has won more than everything White has.

Surprised at you Andre, you are usually pretty fair, can't believe you went to the other side, shame on you :)

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:CK is right.

Comparisons across time are fruitless an always en in stalemate

Not sure this will end in stalemate, looking like Jimmy so far, still need to hear compelling evidence why Ding. I'm afraid no one is making a decent enough argument.

Postby sas6789

Johnny Bravo wrote:
sas6789 wrote:

Being more exciting to watch doesn't make you a better player.

Postby Johnny Bravo

sas6789 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
sas6789 wrote:

Being more exciting to watch doesn't make you a better player.

I never said it does, I said it makes u greater. Read my previous posts, I already said that Ding has the superior game overall and thus is better.