Topic locked

World Open... first test of Hearn's initiatives

Postby Tubberlad

Hearn has already faced the biggest test of his Premiership, one that was entirely unnecessary and unforeseen. Now it's time for him to really get on with what he's best at.

The World Open, in truth, is the first time we'll see Hearn tackling what he's here to do: rejvenate the game. How is he going to do this? By introducing new formats, giving each tournament it's own identity, and drawing in fans.

The World Open isn't going to be for everyone. The best-of-5 format will fling significantly more surprise results, we know that. Will the cream rise to the top? I think so. Ultimately, better players will win tighter games, and I firmly believe the winner of this tournament will be a man who has established himself in the game prior to this.

Is a best-of-9 final too short? Is 7,000 too much for a tournament like this? The answer for me, to both questions, is yes. However, lest we forget the tournament that preceded this initiative. The Grand Prix summed up everything that had gone wrong with the game. It had the same format as all the other ranking events, had a dull venue, the BBC showed no love for it and were more than content to drop it.

The World Open, although not perfect, will be a very exciting and different event. I don't think I've ever looked forward to a non-major tournament as much as this one. And no, I am no fan of shorter formats. Random draw, roll-on/roll-off action, tv exposure to many players who have long deserved the chance (Davy Morris for example)... this will be a very exciting tournament, and the £100,000 winner's prize will tell you how much Hearn wants this one to to lead the way in snooker's road to redemption.

It's last chance saloon for the fourth BBC event to hold onto that status. I'm not hoping. I'm very optimistic.

Re: World Open... first test of Hearn's initiatives

Postby Rocket_ron

Cool thread tubbs <ok>

Im really happy about the world open i feel its the spark we have all been waiting for.
I dont think it will harm the game to have a short format like this, uk and world are long why not have short fast and explosive format? im all for it... make snooker more apealling (well to me anyway)

Postby Tubberlad

Thanks Rocket.

7,000 points aside, I think this looks like a very enjoyable tournament, and stands out from the crowd a bit, which is what we need. One ask though... if we're going to have a tournament based on best-of-5's, please do something with the UK. I want that more than anything for snooker, I believe my first article on break-off centred on that.

Postby Roland

This may sound controversial but I love the whole concept. You should all know by now I prefer the longer format events of the UK and Worlds but the season cannot be packed with these sorts of events, and we have the best of 7s in the PTC which isn't as short format even though there are 12 such events. What makes this stand out for me are 3 things:

1) Best of 5's
2) Big prize money
3) High ranking points tariff

If you had them playing for 1000 points and 1000 quid then it would be a non event. The fact they are playing for elevated money and points is key to why this will work. And the reason it will work is PRESSURE!

Postby Tubberlad

And yes, you can be sure the 7,000 points and the £100,000 are there to bring out the best quality and excitement for this one, I can definitely see the method behind this. This tournament will be a BIG one for Hearn.

It's modelled on the UK Open in Darts which has arguably the most exciting format. Good one to base yourself on.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:This may sound controversial but I love the whole concept. You should all know by now I prefer the longer format events of the UK and Worlds but the season cannot be packed with these sorts of events, and we have the best of 7s in the PTC which isn't as short format even though there are 12 such events. What makes this stand out for me are 3 things:

1) Best of 5's
2) Big prize money
3) High ranking points tariff

If you had them playing for 1000 points and 1000 quid then it would be a non event. The fact they are playing for elevated money and points is key to why this will work. And the reason it will work is PRESSURE!

:bowdown: <ok>

Postby Bourne

If snooker was to progress then this sort of event was exactly what's needed, something new and exciting which will basically keep viewers interested right through matches. I've always said we need a tour with variety and I have no problem with this having high ranking -point tarriff, it's the same test for every single player in the draw.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:If snooker was to progress then this sort of event was exactly what's needed, something new and exciting which will basically keep viewers interested right through matches. I've always said we need a tour with variety and I have no problem with this having high ranking -point tarriff, it's the same test for every single player in the draw.

Excellent comment: and it's why I'm optimistic about this one.

Noticeably, we haven't had an incredible amount of lower framed tournaments coming through, as many scare-mongers had suggested.

Let's look at an intrigueing example: the World Darts Championship is now considerably longer than what it was when Hearn first came on the scene :chin:

Postby randam05

Bourne wrote:If snooker was to progress then this sort of event was exactly what's needed, something new and exciting which will basically keep viewers interested right through matches. I've always said we need a tour with variety and I have no problem with this having high ranking -point tarriff, it's the same test for every single player in the draw.

A tour with variety is the key point for me from bourne there..very good answer <ok>

Just aslong as they dont make it all best of 5s or all best of 19s then for me its great.

I love the masters for its semi short 1 table set up matches with just the top 16. I love the worlds for the marathon style matches and great atmosphere, money and importance. And hopefully the world open for the whole different structure of it. The PL is good too for weekly matches and a league table and points leading to semis. Then the shanghai, welsh and china are average rankers that I look forward to. Then of course the PTCS which are totally different and will find their feet with coverage and audiences and become a proper tournament.

And as you say tubber quite right is they need to do something with the UK and fast I think.

Other than that a variety is great and just what the tour needs.

Goodnight :D

Postby Wildey

Its Proper Snooker just shorter length but i do expect surprises galore that's why ive gone for Gould and Trump to win in predictions.

Interesting that Robbo plays Dott first off neither are for me short match players and takes time to warm up had they played almost anyone else in the draw id not have fancied either to win.

not a fan of the ranking tariff that's out of proportions with rest of the season but i do think it should be a ranking tournament but 4,000 points to winner just doesn't make sense how german and wales offer less for more.

in terms of ranking prestige this season its the lower tier for me.

But im looking forward to it because its snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Still not sold on this event. Given myself the week off to properly watch it, and judge it though, so I may change my mind. Though I am already listening to parents who want me to put this week to productive use. This is basically my summer holiday, and the only thing I want to do is watch snooker and drink beer. Sounds pretty productive to me. :D

Do they really get £100,000 for winning. Obscene really, isn't it? For a weeks work. Where you could potentially only be playing for an hour or so at a time.

Postby Smart

......looking forward to seeing how this pans out, the major thing for me is that its roll on / roll off - ONE TABLE (not a shot clock in sight) ..................so we may get short sharp matches or we may get tense matches with a drawn out long frame in there too (with the added pressure of it being short format). <ok>

Postby Wildey

Yes if ever there was a tourno Barry Hearn would have introduced a shot clock this is it and he hasn't so it seems thats nowhere near on his agenda.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing their piece on Higgins (John & Alex both)

its been the Higgins year of Snooker thats for sure lol

Postby SnookerFan

How are people finding this tournament now we're a few days in? It's fast-paced sure. Except when Ebdon and Fergal O'Brien are playing. <laugh> But I don't feel we've seen any classic matches yet. Or even any memorable ones.

The biggest talking point so far, has been Ronnie acting like a tit. <doh>

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:How are people finding this tournament now we're a few days in? It's fast-paced sure. Except when Ebdon and Fergal O'Brien are playing. <laugh> But I don't feel we've seen any classic matches yet. Or even any memorable ones.

Bazzer vs Selby and ROS vs MAK..................both of them I would like to think will be stored in my snookering brain for some time to come as memorable. <ok> :wave:

Looking forward to Trump/Mags and Jimmy/ROS. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:How are people finding this tournament now we're a few days in? It's fast-paced sure. Except when Ebdon and Fergal O'Brien are playing. <laugh> But I don't feel we've seen any classic matches yet. Or even any memorable ones.

Bazzer vs Selby and ROS vs MAK..................both of them I would like to think will be stored in my snookering brain for some time to come as memorable. <ok> :wave:

Looking forward to Trump/Mags and Jimmy/ROS. <ok>

I must confess I didn't fully appreciate the Selby game. Was a bit fatigued and snookered out at that point. Was a good match though. Ronnie sticks in the memory for the wrong reason.

What a frame three in Walden match though. :D