Post a reply

THE SCORES ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF SNOOKER

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ooker.html

The 12bet.com World Open is notable for its many changes to the traditional format but also because it marks the launch of worldsnooker.com’s new live scoring feature.

Live scoring has tested the patience of legions of snooker fans over the years through its unreliability.

It got so bad this year that World Snooker Ltd chairman Barry Hearn ordered it should be taken down completely rather than subject the governing body to more ridicule.

At the same time, a new system has been developed and will go live tomorrow.

It has been designed by SportStat, a leading company in the field of sports statistics and information systems.

As you can see from the exclusive screen grab above, it will detail the match score, score in the current frame, current break and, unlike the previous model, how many points are left on the table.

“We look forward to introducing an improved range of functionality over the forthcoming months that will provide an ever growing audience with up to the second data, live from any World Snooker qualifying or main event,” said Hugh Copping, managing director of SportStat.

Features will be added as the season goes on and SportStat tell me they are likely in time to include a record of previous frame scores in a match and statistics such as pot success rate, player profiles and other relevant information.

All of this will be particularly popular with snooker fans in non-televised events such as the Player Tour Championship and world ranking event qualifiers.

It will also help bookmakers price up tournaments and run in-play betting markets.

As with any launch there may be a few technical glitches but it all looks good to me and I hope it enhances the enjoyment of tournaments for the fans.

Re: THE SCORES ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF SNOOKER

Postby Wildey

Thompson Lykes wrote:We have still to see it work. I will pass judgement then

i wont be convinced until i see it working without breaking during EPTC2 in brugge where there will be 10 tables in operation.

Postby Roland

We managed it last time. The annoying thing was, just as we had the layout perfect for 8 simultaneous PTC matches they took it down so we never got to see it in action.

Postby Bourne

I've seen the preview, it looks okay and when it's working smoothly, it should be a nice help but I really wish they'd done something about the 'reds left on table', just telling us how many reds are on the table gives a better idea of how much is left in the frame. At least they're doing something about it though, couldn't have got much worse than last year.

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:I liked the 'old' LIVE scoring with the blacked out non-face where no photo existed................ usually in the case of a young Chinese pro. :redneck:

yes but 90% of the time that was all you could see <laugh>