Post a reply

Most surprising WC first round result of the decade?

2010 - Steve Davis 10-9 Mark King
No votes
2011 - Rory McLeod 10-6 Ricky Walden
No votes
2012 - Cao Yupeng 10-6 Mark Allen
No votes
2013 - Robert Milkins 10-8 Neil Robertson
No votes
2014 - Michael Wasley 10-9 Ding Junhui
45%
2015 - Matthew Stevens 10-2 Mark Williams
No votes
2016 - Michael Holt 10-6 Neil Robertson
No votes
2017 - Rory McLeod 10-8 Judd Trump
17%
2018 - Joe Perry 10-4 Mark Selby
7%
2019 - James Cahill 10-8 Ronnie O'Sullivan
31%

Total votes : 29

Most surpsring WC first round result of the decade?

Postby Ash147

Which of the following do you think was the most surprising first round result of the World Championship in the last decade?

There were some years where there weren't too many huge surprises, and others where there were several, but I think I've picked the best ones from each year.

Re: Most surpsring WC first round result of the decade?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Went with Trump-McLeod with 2014 & 2016 next. Trump was in good form and it was hard to see McLeod being able to win over two sessions. It was even more amazing considering Trump led 4-0. Although Ding had a shaky Crucible record he was in great form and Wasley had no experience in a match like that. Robertson was vulnerable in opening round matches but was against a player who's only Crucible win was against a seriously ill Paul Hunter 11 years earlier.

Cahill beating O'Sullivan wasn't as surprising considering Ronnie's recent WC record and Cahill's past wins over Selby and Ding. I didn't think he'd win but it seemed more likely then some of the other results.

Postby D4P

I voted Perry over Selby in 2018. Selby had won consecutive titles and 3 of the past 4, so for him to get blown out by Joe Perry in the first round was a huge surprise.

Ronnie in 2019 is an obvious choice, but it's hard to be surprised by Ronnie deciding that he can't be bothered.

Postby Cloud Strife

Judd was injured. He had a shoulder injury, if my memory serves me right. So him losing to Rory wasn't really a surprise IMO.

Watching him wince and grimace his way through the latter part of that match was sad to watch. He should have withdrawn during the interval.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think Steve Davis over Mark King was that much of an upset. I remember thinking that was 50/50 going into it.

I was more surprised he beat Higgins in then next round.

I really struggled to find a surprising match in the first round in 2010, so I think this one just won it by default.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Great thread. Gotta be trumpet.

That scoreline in the Selby / Perry match is pretty staggering too.

Yeah I dunno about the Ronnie one. It does feel like on reflection that he didn't care about the result too much.

I only saw the last few frames of that match. But he seemed to be trying more there.

Do we think he took Cahill lightly?

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:Great thread. Gotta be trumpet.

That scoreline in the Selby / Perry match is pretty staggering too.

Yeah I dunno about the Ronnie one. It does feel like on reflection that he didn't care about the result too much.

Of course Ronnie didn't care. How else would a clown like Cahill ever get close to beating him.

Postby SnookerFan

I wouldn't call Cahill a clown.

He had previously beaten Ding and Selby in the UK Championships. That's not something you'd do if you didn't have some skill/nerve.

Obviously, Ronnie was massive favourite. But it should be obvious that if you don't play your best game, or take him lightly, Cahill has a chance of beating you.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
GeF wrote:I don't know who Michael Wasley is...

Now you mention it.

Did he actually do anything else with his career other than beat Ding once?

No. He went on to earn a further £14,627 between 2014-2016, then fell off the tour.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Now you mention it.

No. He went on to earn a further £14,627 between 2014-2016, then fell off the tour.

I had a feeling that he fell off the tour at some point.

Postby Ash147

Out of all of the surprise first round wins, only one person went on to win their second round match, which was Steve Davis in 2010.

Steve Davis 13-11 John Higgins
Rory McLeod 7-13 John Higgins
Cao Yupeng 7-13 Ryan Day
Robert Milkins 11-13 Ricky Walden
Michael Wasley 4-13 Dominic Dale
Matthew Stevens 5-13 Ronnie O'Sullivan
Michael Holt 8-13 Mark Williams
Rory McLeod 3-13 Stephen Maguire
Joe Perry 8-13 Mark Allen
James Cahill 12-13 Stephen Maguire

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Now you mention it.

Given that he was on tour and now he is not on tour, I also had a feeling that he might have dropped off at some point.

Postby TheRocket

The match between Davis and Higgins in 2010 was a very strange one. Higgins missed some extremely easy balls throughout the whole match and made mistakes which I hadn't seen him make before. That was the only reason really why the 53 year old Davis who had been past his prime already two decades ago won that match.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Now you mention it.

Given that he was on tour and now he is not on tour, I also had a feeling that he might have dropped off at some point.

Fair point. rofl

You know what I mean though. I thought he was one who had done very little in his career, other than beating Ding.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:Out of all of the surprise first round wins, only one person went on to win their second round match, which was Steve Davis in 2010.

Cao Yupeng 7-13 Ryan Day

Look at Dale laying the smack down on Michael Wasley.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Out of all of the surprise first round wins, only one person went on to win their second round match, which was Steve Davis in 2010.

Cao Yupeng 7-13 Ryan Day

Dale played great during the 2014 WC. He was one frame away from a Semi-final matchup with Ronnie.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:The match between Davis and Higgins in 2010 was a very strange one. Higgins missed some extremely easy balls throughout the whole match and made mistakes which I hadn't seen him make before. That was the only reason really why the 53 year old Davis who had been past his prime already two decades ago won that match.

Higgins was more preoccupied with his upcoming visit to Kiev that year.

Postby Ash147

Cloud Strife wrote:
TheRocket wrote:The match between Davis and Higgins in 2010 was a very strange one. Higgins missed some extremely easy balls throughout the whole match and made mistakes which I hadn't seen him make before. That was the only reason really why the 53 year old Davis who had been past his prime already two decades ago won that match.

He was more preoccupied with his upcoming visit to Kiev that year.

The Kiev incident happened 6 days after his defeat to Davis. :chin:

Postby TheRocket

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Cao Yupeng 7-13 Ryan Day

Dale played great during the 2014 WC. He was one frame away from a Semi-final matchup with Ronnie.

Probably the best I've seen him play actually. Even better than when he won the two rankers. He destroyed Mark Davis and Wasley in the first two rounds.

And against Hawkins in the quarters he put up a great fight. I remember that Hawkins was actually playing very well. I just looked at the stats and Hawkins made 10 60+ breaks. And Dale was still 12:11 ahead at one stage. Before Hawkins won the last two frames in one visit.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Cao Yupeng 7-13 Ryan Day

Probably the best I've seen him play actually. Even better than when he won the two rankers. He destroyed Mark Davis and Wasley in the first two rounds.

And against Hawkins in the quarters he put up a great fight. I remember that Hawkins was actually playing very well. I just looked at the stats and Hawkins made 10 60+ breaks. And Dale was still 12:11 ahead at one stage. Before Hawkins won the last two frames in one visit.

BEAST MODE!