Post a reply

What kind of match would you rather watch?

A match with a small amount of safety, but lots of big breaks and centuries.
61%
A match with lots of safety, but a small amount of big breaks and centuries.
39%

Total votes : 23

What kind of match would you rather watch?

Postby Ash147

If you had the choice of the following two matches, which one would you chose, and why?

1. A match with a small amount of safety, but lots of big breaks and centuries.
2. A match with lots of safety, but a small amount big breaks and centuries.
Last edited by Ash147 on 18 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What kind of match would you rather watch?

Postby SnookerFan

Well, no safety at all would be rubbish. No player would ever be faced with a difficult shot.

The trick is to have enough safety that the game is a challenge, without getting too bogged down in it.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ash147 wrote:It does surprise me that people here would rather watch safety play than big breaks. It explains why Mark Selby is so popular here though.

Incorrect.

Selby at his peak is a world-class safety player.

He is also a world-class break builder.

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ash147 wrote:It does surprise me that people here would rather watch safety play than big breaks. It explains why Mark Selby is so popular here though.

Incorrect.

He doesn't play at his peak that often though.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ash147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Incorrect.

No I agree.

The three time world champion and seven year world number 1 lacks consistency.

<doh> <doh>

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Incorrect.

No I agree.

The three time world champion and seven year world number 1 lacks consistency.

<doh> <doh>

That's actually been his problem since his last WC win over two years ago, which was the last time he played at his peak.

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Don't alter the fact he has been one of the very best break builders of the past twenty years.

I didn't say that he wasn't. You can't deny that he's renowned for his tactical play though.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Don't alter the fact he has been one of the very best break builders of the past twenty years.

I didn't say that he wasn't. You can't deny that he's renowned for his tactical play though.

In large part because it’s so good that people neglect his breakbuilding.

Also, he’s able to win so many matches playing badly because of his safety play, it’s on display a lot more often than most because he makes it deep into tournaments without playing his best in terms of breakbuilding (at least until the last couple of years).

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Also, he’s able to win so many matches playing badly because of his safety play, it’s on display a lot more often than most because he makes it deep into tournaments without playing his best in terms of breakbuilding (at least until the last couple of years).

Exactly. That's what I meant when I said he plays more of those tactical matches than when he's at his peak. I'm not sure why that's a controversial statement.

Postby rekoons

[quote="Iranu"][quote="Ash147"][quote="Badsnookerplayer"]Don't alter the fact he has been one of the very best break builders of the past twenty years.[/quote]

I didn't say that he wasn't. You can't deny that he's renowned for his tactical play though.[/quote]

Also, he’s able to win so many matches playing badly because of his safety play, it’s on display a lot more often than most because he makes it deep into tournaments without playing his best in terms of breakbuilding (at least until the last couple of years).[/quote]

Could not have said it better than this

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:I'd rather people learnt how to quote properly.

Can’t see any reason it’s not working, to be fair.

The quote function seems to be a bit messed up, you can’t manually input or split quotes.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
D4P wrote:Ronnie's style of play is ideal for me. Several big breaks, with a few scrappy/tactical frames mixed in for good measure.

Yes - the recent Cahill match was a real feast for the senses.

I can't comment on that match, because I didn't watch it...

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
D4P wrote:Ronnie's style of play is ideal for me. Several big breaks, with a few scrappy/tactical frames mixed in for good measure.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Very helpful of you. We're lucky you're here...

Postby Ash147

Johnny Bravo wrote:Option A, all day, any day. :-D

However, given the fact that option B has more votes, it's possible that Wildey has a special attribute as a mod that allows him to vote multiple times. :chin:

It could be, Johnny. I just think this place has got a lot of Selby fans though, and that means people will be enjoying the tactical stuff.

You and I are connoisseurs of the proper stuff though.
Last edited by Ash147 on 18 Aug 2019, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Option A, all day, any day. :-D

However, given the fact that option B has more votes, it's possible that Wildey has a special attribute as a mod that allows him to vote multiple times. :chin:

It could be, Johnny. I just think this place has got a lot of Selby fans though, and that means people will be enjoying the tactical stuff.

You and I are connoisseurs of the proper stuff though.

Does this place have a lot of Selby fans? It’s always seemed pretty dominated by Ronnie fans to me.