Post a reply

A Man’s a Man for a’ That or what became of Ants McGill?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

It is a little under ten years since Anthony McGill became a professional snooker player and a little over four since he defeated Mark Selby to reach the quarter finals of the World Championship. It was a steep upward trajectory for the young Scot who had been granted a licence to thrill and it seemed inevitable that he would soon be dining at the top table with a modern generation of matchplay maestros.

As impressive as his rise up the rankings may have been, just as sharp has been the gradient of his recent decline. McGill it seems has been gripped by the dreaded loss of confidence that hides in the shadows even when a sportsman is enjoying his day in the sun under the clearest blue skies.

So what has led to the miserable form that McGill has suffered over the past eighteen months? Can he turn it around or will the dotted line of the elite 64 rise up and pull him asunder? It seems that the Gillotine is now in real danger of losing his head.

A Prince can mak a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, an’ a’ that!
But an honest man’s aboon his might –
Guid faith, he mauna fa’ that!

Re: A Man’s a Man for a’ That or what became of Ants McGill?

Postby TheSaviour

Anthony Mcgill plays with a straight lines, and not taking anything too risky regarding the cue ball control and the cannons on. So there are only a few players to compare him regarding the playing style. Wichael White isn´t amongs those players. I would compare Ants to perhaps to Matt Selt, Judd Trump, Ding Junhui. I am sure he is massively dissappointed he hasn´t got too much any really massive results. But it is still his job, and part of him still must be really happy about. There isn´t anyone he should be pleasing and to sir yes yes sir.

Perhaps, giving the straight lines he tends to play, has caused him to take on too risky long pots efforts. He was highly convinging during a few frames during the last winter. But that´s all. Michael White certainly does take on highly risky cannons all the way. That´s why he will never get results but can´t see it bothering him at all. Basically at all.

Never quite understood how the people immeaditely get´s on the zone.To please the people who never understands anything. The people who never respect any rules.

The rule is always a rule, and without those there wouldn´t be any possesing or the money. It is just the rules that makes everything possible. And yet those rules are just something which the people view as a rubbish and always having their own ideas of how things should be done. And obviously telling everyone EVERYTHING. And there´s always your day then.

It is Anthony McGill´s job and he can´t be too unhappy. Even when the massive results have avoided him. Can´t see he would have that much natural talent that those shouldn´t avoid him. But he can still have his own ideas as long as remember that a rule is always a rule. If he plays a shot and then says it was a rule, everything is fine and he should be happy. They can´t rubbish him while he´s doing so. As they just keeps on rubbishing absolutely everything and the every house rule there just possible can be.

It has cost me but that´s why I tend to do something which never concerns any people.

Postby Dan-cat

Ignore Cloudy, I love it when you get creative with your writing like this.

He accused me of that for my post about snooker being a microcosmic metaphor for life. This passage is in my new book that will be out soon! viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6797

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Ignore Cloudy, I love it when you get creative with your writing like this.

He accused me of that for my post about snooker being a microcosmic metaphor for life. This passage is in my new book that will be out soon! viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6797

Shameless plug, abuse of mod powers, reported.

heheh lolz totally! I'll ban myself!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:Ignore Cloudy, I love it when you get creative with your writing like this.

I imagine that Cloud struggles with complex text as his screen reader will have trouble with it

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I imagine that Cloud struggles with complex text as his screen reader will have trouble with it

Yeah, he's thick.

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:Just call everybody pathetic and start posting nudes. You'll get banned eventually.

Caught up with what I'd missed over the last month today...that thread was unbelievable...I actually got some cue wine out and really enjoyed myself, hilarious, shame I missed the pics though.

Postby Ck147

Thanks BSP. Work stuff and F1 got in the way the last few weeks, thought it would be quiet hear and wouldn't miss much due to not much snooker. How wrong could I be, seems like I missed some good stuff!

Postby Ck147

F1 can be a bit "meh", the last 4 races were decent though. I got F1 2018 for Xbox for fathers day with a steering wheel, my replays are a lot more exciting than the real races. Smashing drivers off the track, cutting corners, spinning off the track, etc....oh hang on...sounds like Vettel :)

Xbox was mainly for the kids, I usually smashed my computers up when I was younger because I was absolutely rubbish at computer games and always lost.

Postby Ck147

I was in the US a couple of weeks ago for work, found a classic arcade place, pacman, galaga, space invaders, pin ball, etc, great place but I lost $5 worth of quarters in half an hour, I am crap! Don't think I've ever completed a game, except Roller Coaster on the Spectrum, Batman on the Amiga, and Tie Fighter on PC. Once I realised computer games weren't for me I did other things!

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I completed Manic Miner on an emulator fairly recently

Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy wound me up...Roller Coaster sent me over the edge...had to finish that on my brothers speccy after mine suffered an "accident".