Post a reply

Re: 2008 Masters, Ronnie vs Maguire

Postby Ace

Ash147 wrote:
Ace wrote:Why are you not posting about Judd?

I did. What more do you want me to say?

You don't sound enthusiastic at his victory.

Postby Ash147

Ace wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Ace wrote:Why are you not posting about Judd?

I did. What more do you want me to say?

You don't sound enthusiastic at his victory.

I am. I'm just aware that he still needs to win another tough match though.

Postby TheRocket

Yeah I remember that one. Was a tough one. At least he did end up winning the World title that season. (+ the UK).

It was the only time he's won two TC events in a season. I wouldnt care if that would stay as his only time if he wins one more bucking World title.

Postby Ash147

Ace wrote:I;ve never seen that match, wow, Ronnie choked so hard on what looks like a routine shot.

Yes. He completed bungked the blue.

Postby Ash147

Ace wrote:What are the list of chokes Ronnie has had in his career?

I'm sure there have been quite a lot, but in terms of finals these are the ones that come to mind. The 1997 Masters, 2004 Masters, 2006 Masters, 2008 Welsh Open, 2010 Masters, 2014 World Championship and 2015 Grand Prix.

Postby Ash147

Dan-cat wrote:I think some people confuse the word choke with lost.

I try not to overuse that word, but the above matches were definitely chokes. Every single one of those matches he had substantial leads, and then lost control of them.

Postby Ace

Luck probably evened out at the end when Wenbo choked on a huge dong against Ronnie in 2017 Masters then Ronnie went on to win the tournamement lol crazy, he was literally a ball away from losing then goes on to win the whole thing

so if u look at it that way it evened out the choke on the blue

fine margins, swings and roundabouts and all that

Postby Ace

Should never have lost 2014 WC.

What was it, 9-3, 10-5? can't even remember

All he had to do with share the session out in the 3rd session lol then would've 80% breezed the final session and that awful miss on the pink, my word, why play position on the black?

I would've smashed up my locker room

Who knows maybe this will even itself out with a WC win somewhere down the line against maybe even Selby
Last edited by Ace on 09 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby D4P

Ace wrote:Luck probably evened out at the end when Wenbo choked on a huge dong against Ronnie in 2017 Masters then Ronnie went on to win the tournamement lol crazy, he was literally a ball away from losing then goes on to win the whole thing

Ronnie also "should have" lost to Sunny Akani at the 2017 UK Championship.

Postby Ace

D4P wrote:
Ace wrote:Luck probably evened out at the end when Wenbo choked on a huge dong against Ronnie in 2017 Masters then Ronnie went on to win the tournamement lol crazy, he was literally a ball away from losing then goes on to win the whole thing

Difference is Ronnie was playing like his D game in 2017 Masters and won, the UK championship he turned it on in the evening vs chubby from 5-5 I think to 10-5, it was a procession.

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:

That was crazy, when Sunny played to cannon the blue out and pitted it down the top cushion.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie has bottled some big matches in his career. But looking back now most of those defeats have been not that painful because he's still ended up breaking the records.

For instance. He's bottled a few Masters finals but still managed to become the record holder and win 7 Masters titles. When it comes to ranking titles in general, he'll break Hendrys record very soon.

Its only one single match which could haunt him forever. And thats the 2014 World final. He was leading 8:3 and 10:5 and simply bottled it. There's no other way to describe it. The only way to make that match forget is to win another World title. Ideally beating Selby along the way.

Postby Ash147

TheRocket wrote:Ronnie has bottled some big matches in his career. But looking back now most of those defeats have been not that painful because he's still ended up breaking the records.

For instance. He's bottled a few Masters finals but still managed to become the record holder and win 7 Masters titles. When it comes to ranking titles in general, he'll break Hendrys record very soon.

Its only one single match which could haunt him forever. And thats the 2014 World final. He was leading 8:3 and 10:5 and simply bottled it. There's no other way to describe it. The only way to make that match forget is to win another World title. Ideally beating Selby along the way.

I remember that 2014 final far too clearly, and it still hurts to this day. He completey dominated the first two sessions of that match, and should never have finished that second session with such a narrow 10-7 lead. If he had won those last two frames, I couldn't see him losing from 12-5 up. People always mention that pink, and it was bad, but I think the real shift in momentum in that match was the missed black off it's spot to go 11-5. That's when Ronnie opened the door for Selby.

For me, this is the worst and most painful defeat of Ronnie's whole career.

Postby TheRocket

Yes the black was the key moment. At that stage of the match Ronnie was flying and he had just made two big breaks to go 10:5 ahead.

I know Ronnie doesnt let it show but I think deep inside he was devasted after that match and its probably the key reason for his very poor record at the Crucible in recent time. He has lost all the aura and confidence since then. Any lower ranked Top16 pro and even a journeyman can get under his skin now at the Crucible these days which is really sad.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:Yes the black was the key moment. At that stage of the match Ronnie was flying and he had just made two big breaks to go 10:5 ahead.

I know Ronnie doesnt let it show but I think deep inside he was devasted after that match and its probably the key reason for his very poor record at the Crucible in recent time. He has lost all the aura and confidence since then. Any lower ranked Top16 pro and even a journeyman can get under his skin now at the Crucible these days which is really sad.

He's even getting beat by amateurs there now. What a sorry state of affairs.

Postby Ash147

Occasionally I'll go back and watch Ronnie's WC matches from 2012-2014. He looked so unbeatable back then, and you could tell his opponents were terrified of him. As soon as he lost that final in 2014, that aura completely went, and so to did Ronnie's confidence.

Postby Iranu

I still most of Ronnie’s losses are... not coincidental as such but not merely explained by the 2014 final. Ding and Bingham both played great, the Hawkins loss was because Ronnie didn’t have a safety game and Hawkins was in Beast Mode, and Carter got under his skin and Ronnie still nearly won if not for a miscue (if I’m thinking of the right match).

The Cahill match was by far the worst because the way he was playing you could tell his mind was gone from the start. Almost every shot he played was the wrong one.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Yes the black was the key moment. At that stage of the match Ronnie was flying and he had just made two big breaks to go 10:5 ahead.

He's even getting beat by amateurs there now. What a sorry state of affairs.

The 2014 is haunting him to this day at The Crucible. Only way to erase it would be winning another one, beating Selby would be ideal no matter what stage of the tournament.

Regarding the thread, I was fuming Ronnie missed that routine blue, especially because Maguire has always been one of his favourite opponents to beat. But like TR says, some of his Masters chokes are forgotten because he holds the record anyway.

Postby Andre147

Ash147 wrote:Occasionally I'll go back and watch Ronnie's WC matches from 2012-2014. He looked so unbeatable back then, and you could tell his opponents were terrified of him. As soon as he lost that final in 2014, that aura completely went, and so to did Ronnie's confidence.

From start to finish, 2012 was his greatest WC. 2013 Final was some of the finest Snooker he ever played there.