Post a reply

HENDRY SLAMS NEW RANKING SYSTEM

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ystem.html

Stephen Hendry has criticised the new ranking system, which sees the list revised four times a year rather than at the end of the season.

The seedings for the UK Championship and Wembley Masters will be determined after the second European Players Tour Championship event in Bruges in October.

Hendry is currently 11th in the official rankings but is going through a poor run of form and is sweating on his place in the elite group.

He told 110sport.tv, the website of his management group: "A number of top 16 players are looking over their shoulders and it is worrying that a bad patch could have major consequences.

“I am not moaning because I am down there just now – I just don’t think its right that it isn’t based over a whole season and a lot of players have worked very hard to get into the top 16 in the first place.

"Over the season each of these players will hit a run of form but if they have a bad patch at the start of the season they could be in trouble.

“Another bad run and I could find myself missing out on the Masters at Wembley. It is a very punishing system.”

Indeed it is. It has already cost Liang Wenbo his top 16 place after just a few months - or rather he has, by not winning enough matches.

The idea of the new list is to reward success and no longer protect players who can't win a match.

Many players love it because it gives them the chance to scale the heights but others, like Hendry, are worried because it puts extra pressure on them at a time they are struggling for form.

There are arguments on both sides but I think it's better that a player who wins a tournament receives an immediate benefit from that success.

There have been top 16 players in the past who haven't won a match all season but have still been seeded through to the Crucible while ranking tournament winners have had to qualify.

Top 16 players have also kept their places by winning no more than a handful of matches all year.

Hendry, of course, is more entitled than most to express a view on this but it is surely a reflection on his own current plight.

When he was the undisputed king of snooker, I doubt he could have cared less what the ranking system was.

He would have been at the top regardless.

Stephen Dont Make yourself look like a pin end and Get Practicing and Get Winning for christ sakes <ok>

Snooker been waiting for this for years.

and also lets not forget this was printed on 110sport and the words might not have been exactly what he said <doh>

Re: HENDRY SLAMS NEW RANKING SYSTEM

Postby Roland

It is very funny all the same. The new system is the fairest it's ever been.

Postby Casey

He will see in the long term its good for the game. I would imagine he had a perception on how he would exit the game and the new ranking system might make that difficult for him.
Also I would like to see the full copy of his comments rather than what 110 printed ;)

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:He will see in the long term its good for the game. I would imagine he had a perception on how he would exit the game and the new ranking system might make that difficult for him.
Also I would like to see the full copy of his comments rather than what 110 printed ;)

ye he might go to the crucible provisional 26 and still in the top 16 and it might be his last pr match...now thats not possible

Postby Mal

Stephen didn't help himself there - when he's losing to players now he has no excuse and now needs to get a run together, but I think he'll do well at the World Open.

Now if you're slipping down it can be quicker as before you could win a few matches and keep yourself in the top 16 or have a good end of season run to get back in. Now if you drop out of the top 16, it could very quickly turn into a battle to stay in the top 16.

It's the same in many sport, although of course with tennis and golf, there are tournaments most weeks. I think the PTC is good and needs to be taken advantage of by Hendry, Allen and Ding. It's not just needing to win at the PTC, it's the match practice and getting a few points under the belt.

But I do think snooker needs another high profile tournament - at the minute, the wider snooker audience really only notice the WC, the masters and to a lesser extent, the UK and formerly GP - I think the UK has lost its edge over the last few years - perhaps coinciding with the final being the same as all the others. Another ranking tournament would also help the rolling rankings.

Postby Witz78

Stephen you numpty claiming it isnt fair that it isnt based over a whole season...

Yes your right it isnt based over a whole season,

It is based over TWO whole seasons, as the old system was, abeit the 2 season period is constantly rolling.

Sour grapes from Hendry and others who no longer have the security of being top 16 ALL season and knowing a win or 2 in Sheffield will be enough to save their bacon YET AGAIN.

and as for 110sport, every article on their site seems to be a dig at Hearn, yet again sour grapes.

Postby Wildey

we really do not know in what Context Hendry actually said it but the way 110Sport Reported it was in the most negative light.

more i think about it more i think it doesn't sound like Stephen to be honest one thing he has never done is blame other people for his failings....that is a very un stephen Hendry Comment.

But if he did say it in the context it reported all i got to say.

TOUGH TITS.

Postby Casey

I very much question this article.

Just how well has his management explained the system to him? As Witz pointed out its still based over two years but Stephen is under the impression is 1. Also he seems to have been told he could miss out on the Masters this year....look at the current rankings, this is extremely unlikely.

I think Thompson Lykes is spot on <ok>

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:I very much question this article.

Just how well has his management explained the system to him? As Witz pointed out its still based over two years but Stephen is under the impression is 1. Also he seems to have been told he could miss out on the Masters this year....look at the current rankings, this is extremely unlikely.

I think Thompson Lykes is spot on <ok>

Case ... Stephen Hendry is 41 not 4, he can read and has a brain to understand by himself or has he? If he can't be bothered to make the effort and just goes by what he's told, sorry, but that's a disgrace. My opinion is that he is just realising he's no more protected as he used to be and could face qualifiers before long, and he doesn't like it.

Postby GJ

is it possible he was misquoted by the media

surely not

:roll: :chin:

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:is it possible he was misquoted by the media

surely not

:roll: :chin:

i think he said it tongue in cheek and basically misinterpreted.

Postby Wildey

as i said earlier that is so far off a Hendry quote its unreal .

Postby Lucky

Hendry will feel a little peeved, all his career he's seen the old system 'protect' the falling stars a little for a season or two at least. He starts probably the first real bad run of his career and the safety net is pulled away.........bit of a bummer really <ok>

Postby Wildey

Lucky balls wrote:Hendry will feel a little peeved, all his career he's seen the old system 'protect' the falling stars a little for a season or two at least. He starts probably the first real bad run of his career and the safety net is pulled away.........bit of a bummer really <ok>

Yes Steve And Jimmy been Protected for years lol

and what about Mark Williams he has been down at 40 provisionally only 2 or 3 years ago he might have found it hard climbing up from bring seeded 40.

but in all honesty im reserving judgement i bet we will get to the truth next week Hendry is Honest he wont hold back.
Last edited by Wildey on 15 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Casey

A number of top 16 players are looking over their shoulders and it is worrying that a bad patch could have major consequences.

“I am not moaning because I am down there just now – I just don’t think its right that it isn’t based over a whole season and a lot of players have worked very hard to get into the top 16 in the first place. Over the season each of these players will hit a run of form but if they have a bad patch at the start of the season they could be in trouble.

“Another bad run and I could find myself missing out on The Masters at Wembley it is a very punishing system.”

Reading it again, he hasn't slammed the system. he said its punishing (which it is) and players will be looking over their shoulders. After 25 years a pro change like this will take time to get used to. Thats if he is around long enough, remember his retirement comments at the WC's.

Postby HulkHogan

Tried replying to Dave Hendon's blog but wasn't approved so might as well try put across a case on here.

Firstly I conducted the interview and wrote the article and the quotes ARE correct - however if you have seen the full interview and Stephen's comments on the ranking system he is hardly 'slamming' the system and he talks about his need to win matches to ensure his place.

I do wonder how many people have read the headline on Snooker Scene Blog and then seen the name 110sport then just jumped to their own conclusions.

Postby Wildey

ok thank you for clearing that up <ok>

lifted from 110sport and not snooker scene blog wrote:“I am not moaning because I am down there just now – I just don’t think its right that it isn’t based over a whole season and a lot of players have worked very hard to get into the top 16 in the first place. Over the season each of these players will hit a run of form but if they have a bad patch at the start of the season they could be in trouble.

now next time you talk to him tell him this from me a fan for over 20 years.

Snooker is bigger than players their job is to win matches if they dont they fall down how right was it for Ding to win the UK Championship in 2005 and having to qualify for the World Championship and didn't qualify so the UK Champion was missing from the World Championship despite being provisionaly in the top 16.

He Should put in the Hours and Shut up hes making himself look like a silly.

Postby Roland

HulkHogan wrote:Tried replying to Dave Hendon's blog but wasn't approved so might as well try put across a case on here.

Firstly I conducted the interview and wrote the article and the quotes ARE correct - however if you have seen the full interview and Stephen's comments on the ranking system he is hardly 'slamming' the system and he talks about his need to win matches to ensure his place.

I do wonder how many people have read the headline on Snooker Scene Blog and then seen the name 110sport then just jumped to their own conclusions.

The word "Slamming" or "Slams" does often appear in newspaper headlines and when you read the article in question you generally come away thinking whatever controversial statement lead to the headline wasn't actually that bad. It's a journalistic term to whip up a frenzy obviously.

As for jumping to conclusions - can you tell us why 110sport appear to be so anti the new ranking system in most articles on their website? I think the new ranking system is great and so do most other people. The old system was deeply flawed and everyone knew it and the new system has breathed life back into the sport. I can't understand how anyone who cares about snooker and the future could have a problem with it.

Postby Casey

HulkHogan wrote:Tried replying to Dave Hendon's blog but wasn't approved so might as well try put across a case on here.

Does he agree that changes needed to be made to the old system?

Postby HulkHogan

I can't speak for everyone but I don't think it is the case that there is a major problem with the ranking system.

The Mark Allen story the other week highlighted the fact he had to qualify for a ranking event which he felt was a bit of a kick in the teeth and then there's this story where I've simply asked Stephen if he is worried about losing his place amongst the 16 and he's given his thoughts on it.

Postby Casey

HulkHogan wrote:I can't speak for everyone but I don't think it is the case that there is a major problem with the ranking system.

The Mark Allen story the other week highlighted the fact he had to qualify for a ranking event which he felt was a bit of a kick in the teeth and then there's this story where I've simply asked Stephen if he is worried about losing his place amongst the 16 and he's given his thoughts on it.

Interesting. Has Stephen given any thoughts on the game and what he would do if he dropped out of the top 16?

Postby Wildey

HulkHogan wrote:I can't speak for everyone but I don't think it is the case that there is a major problem with the ranking system.

i definitely think there was a case of getting 2 tables for glasgow and taking 64 players through however ive personally known of this idea well before the competition surely time to speak out was then and try and convince them to take 64 players to glasgow it was to late after being kicked out.

Postby Wildey

to be honest you did not need 2 tables start play at 10am and play roll on roll off for saturday and sunday 16 matches per day

Postby HulkHogan

Yeah and of course some of the second table matches at the GP last year were played in-front of 500-600 empty seats - especially the afternoon session so I can see the reasoning behind it.

I could argue that if I had spoken to Mark before his qualifier and he spoke out on how unfair it was he was playing at Sheffield then that would have led people to tell him to shut his mouth and just win the match.

Wild - No he hasn't but he certainly seems up for Glasgow and hopefully he can get the results that ensure his place.

Postby Wildey

that was case lol

but seriously Stephen is a shadow of his former self and i would not blame him for packing it in seing him playing Selby in the Worlds he just gave up. i knew of a time he wouldnt.

Postby Roland

This is one such article which should explain why 110 are seen as scaremongerers about the ranking system:

http://www.110sport.tv/news/601

A number of snooker heroes are languishing at the bottom of the 2010-11 snooker rankings.

World No.1 John Higgins has dropped to No.96 in the rankings – following his suspension earlier this year he has still to gain his first points.

The updated rankings also show seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry and China’s Ding Junhui joint eighty-fifth while Mark Davis is currently ranked in first place with a narrow lead over Barry Pinches who is second.

Changes to the ranking system mean that many top 16 players are now at risk of losing their place amongst snooker's elite despite the fact the first ranking event of the season is still over a week away.

It's obvious this is complete nonsense and was based on the PTC rankings and not official rankings at a time when Ding and Hendry hadn't even played!

I would guess that's why people think 110 have a problem with the new ranking system. Pretending not to understand how it works in order to get a point across doesn't impress anyone. :santa:

Postby HulkHogan

Thompson Lykes wrote:Typical 110 sports.

Even when they admit to something they still hide. Eh Hulk

I'm sure if your that desperate to find out who I am you could.

I've come on and gave a response to all the chat concerning the story - not to deal with your snipes.