Post a reply

Ronnie is still WN1

Postby D4P

Just a friendly public service announcement to report that Ronnie is still WN1 after Riga.

That's not a surprise, of course, because he was guaranteed to still be WN1. But there's a decent chance that one of these weeks soon will be the last week ever that he sits atop the rankings. By my calculations, Judd could take over WN1 with a runner-up finish at the International Championships, and once Judd passes Ronnie, Ronnie will probably never pass Judd again.

End of an era.

PS: DECLINE!

Re: Ronnie is still WN1

Postby Cloud Strife

Irrespective of what the computer says, Ronnie will always be number 1 in the hearts and minds of snooker lovers the world over.

Postby D4P

Cloud Strife wrote:Irrespective of what the computer says, Ronnie will always be number 1 in the hearts and minds of snooker lovers the world over.

Good point. Ronnie is universally beloved.

Postby Iranu

D4P wrote:By my calculations, Judd could take over WN1 with a runner-up finish at the International Championships, and once Judd passes Ronnie, Ronnie will probably never pass Judd again.

Just to pick you up on this point, Ronnie may not get to WN1 again but it’s not THAT unlikely that he’s ranked higher than Judd again in the future, in my opinion.

All it would take is for Judd to have a poor season following one where he didn’t have an awesome season, and for Ronnie to have two good seasons (e.g. Mark Selby the last couple of years).

Also, great use of the word ‘atop’ - a word that doesn’t get enough use these days.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:Just to pick you up on this point, Ronnie may not get to WN1 again but it’s not THAT unlikely that he’s ranked higher than Judd again in the future, in my opinion.

All it would take is for Judd to have a poor season following one where he didn’t have an awesome season, and for Ronnie to have two good seasons (e.g. Mark Selby the last couple of years).

The wildcard is that we don't know how much Ronnie's going to play (in ranking events). If he follows through on his intention of only playing 3-4 low-key events per season, then there's virtually no chance of him keeping up with Trump (or any of the other top players, for that matter).

Postby Ace

Hard work starts for Ronnie now. He has to defend points from 5 ranking event wins from 2017/2018 season.

Trump on the other hand will be gaining as he has squat to defend from that season.

To be fair I think Ronnie becoming #1 in an era when there's a huge difference between the World Championship ranking points and every other tournament is the biggest effort I've ever seen in Snooker in trying to be #1.

Rest assured Ronnie fans, that won't ever be done again.

Postby Ace

Btw I can't believe it's gonna be nearly 2 years since Ronnie mauled Kyren's body across the table at the English Open 2017 final, I still remember that day like it was yesterday.

Postby D4P

Ace wrote:To be fair I think Ronnie becoming #1 in an era when there's a huge difference between the World Championship ranking points and every other tournament is the biggest effort I've ever seen in Snooker in trying to be #1.

Yes, this is certainly one of snooker's most "against the odds" accomplishments. It's especially noteworthy when you consider that Ronnie (1) only got a total of £47,500 from the WSC the past 2 years, and that (2) he won 5 events over the past 2 years that didn't even count in the rankings.

If I understand correctly, he's also the oldest player to ever reach WN1.

Postby Ace

D4P wrote:
Ace wrote:To be fair I think Ronnie becoming #1 in an era when there's a huge difference between the World Championship ranking points and every other tournament is the biggest effort I've ever seen in Snooker in trying to be #1.

Yes, this is certainly one of snooker's most "against the odds" accomplishments. It's especially noteworthy when you consider that Ronnie (1) only got a total of £47,500 from the WSC the past 2 years, and that (2) he won 5 events over the past 2 years that didn't even count in the rankings.

If I understand correctly, he's also the oldest player to ever reach WN1.

Yh Ronnie got done by Shanghai turning into non ranking I think otherwise Judd would be far away right now, crazy to think just how much Ronnie dominated the last 2 seasons even with something like 500k up for grabs in WC wins and he made squat at the WC

Postby D4P

It seems kinda silly that Ronnie will lose his Shanghai Masters ranking points from 2017 without being given the opportunity to defend them. Everyone else who made money in that event will lose fewer points than Ronnie will, which essentially means that he will receive the largest punishment (in the rankings) for having won the event rather than having lost...

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
Iranu wrote:Just to pick you up on this point, Ronnie may not get to WN1 again but it’s not THAT unlikely that he’s ranked higher than Judd again in the future, in my opinion.

The wildcard is that we don't know how much Ronnie's going to play (in ranking events). If he follows through on his intention of only playing 3-4 low-key events per season, then there's virtually no chance of him keeping up with Trump (or any of the other top players, for that matter).

But if he does that, he clearly doesn't care about retaining World Number 1.

Why worry about something he's not trying to achieve?

Postby Ace

Ronnie was never aiming for #1 anyway he was getting close to getting kcocked out of the top 16 during 2017 he just wanted to win a ranking tournament, #1 just happened to fall into place cuz he dominated the game after.

Players shouldn't aim for #1 anyway it's stupid, you will naturally reach #1 as you keep winning. It will take care of itself

Postby Ace

D4P wrote:It seems kinda silly that Ronnie will lose his Shanghai Masters ranking points from 2017 without being given the opportunity to defend them. Everyone else who made money in that event will lose fewer points than Ronnie will, which essentially means that he will receive the largest punishment (in the rankings) for having won the event rather than having lost...

It's not about defending the points its the fact that he didn't gain any points in 2018 from it, otherwise he'd be 200k+ ahead

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:Just a friendly public service announcement to report that Ronnie is still WN1 after Riga.

If only he lived up to his 'anywhere for a ranking point' promise. <ok>

Postby D4P

I think it's safe to say that Ronnie will never be WN1 again. It was fun while it lasted, but all things must end.

Postby TheSaviour

Selbo Lays Down A Beating On Gary Wilson

Allen Lays Down A Beating On Ding Junhui

6-5 to Selbo and 6-3 to Allen! During the formats which doesn´t make that many mistakes. The mistake was there, luckily no-one noticed anything. Of trying to be too precise. Gary it, Gary that, Gary That... But my guidebook tells that.... My guidebook suggests that.... (Didn´t back Gary at all).

He´s still WN1 but can´t afford to not play too often. That´s a strange comment and taking, I know, but the guidebooks always also tells that Ronnie too keeps on saying that he just happens to be an expert of something when he never should had been. That´s the telling from the guidebook which I personally very much like. Just hang on there some years, and suddenly you can say you just happens to expert of something when I never should had been ANY expert.. I know. The story of my life. But make no mistake (this time): there just happens to be the profits which you would not expecting. That´s just because you just happens to be expert of something where almost no-other is at all. And if you just happens to have the lucky numbers, of where the previouses have genuinely shocked you, then you just should keep those lucky numbers. That´s how the world just keeps on repeating on itself with no correct reasons at all.

Didn´t happen. Didn´t happen. Always also much heard sentence. I know. And I would even double it. But I just happens to know something, regarding Ronnie, where for the first in the history there actually shouldn´t be such a sentence and a feeling! Just keep on rooting my lucky numbers. Also.

Dominic Dale. Lot´s of people arguing "getting rich" with no money at all. Free service, and happened to be the experts who lays downs those beatings- Now you probably know what I have been on. Behaving like an 8 year old. Where some would suggests would be 88. But not 38, certainly not. But the free service, getting rich so easily, from the wise SCHOOL. With some flaws, which all are very much accepted.

So back to just one colour to count. They just can´t live without expert arguments. Just happens to posses no understanding why it is so important to straight away to show absolutely everything. Surely Ronnie just happens to an expert of that too. The place is correct, the timing is correct. And yes, it still happens to be rocket science, also. Just give it go, if having difficulties to understand that lol.

So now I know what certainly is on. Difficulties to understand of where all those people are rooting. The Super League, and yes, the First League also to me.

Why trying to be an INTERNATIONAL expert or INTERNATIONALLY licking it up, while they reckon it is the First League where you always should be?? So does the mirror works.

Postby HappyCamper

Dan-cat wrote:What does WN1 mean?

Post code area in Wigan.