Topic locked

So, how do people feel about The World Open now?

Postby SnookerFan

It starts this weekend.

Now, part of me is happy that there is snooker starting less then a week after the last tournament started. And part of me is glad I get to sit round and watch snooker. :ba: But part of me feels that booking the week off as my 'summer holiday' to watch snooker was a bit of a waste.

This is partly due to the fact that when I booked the week off I thought I'd still be living in my flat, next door to a pub. I could be getting some alone time to stuff my face and watch snooker. Instead I'm back living with my parents who will come in and nag me every five minutes, and a labrador that wakes everybody up at 6am to bark at the paper boy.

But also due to the best of five nature of the tournament. I can't evision we'll get many classic matches over this format.

How does everybody else feel? I am hoping that I'll be converted and we'll see some top notch action. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic. Does anybody else feel this way?

Re: So, how do people feel about The World Open now?

Postby randam05

I feel the same way as you snooker fan, there will not be any classic matches but still its snooker and im not going to prejudge the tournament yet, but I can never say I prefer a short match than a long one. I just hope the quality is high and we dont come out with a suprise winner who 'flukes' their way through. Because anything can happen in a short match. Luck can go ones way or a pure run of excellent form can go ones way whereas over a longer match luck evens out and it sorts the men from the boys. As the big names know how to go about a best of 19 where as the young new players can find some form and easily win 3 straight frames so we may see a lower ranked winner... who knows. Also a top player could get on a roll and win 3-0 its all going to be suprising and unpredictable..I think is the word.

I hope Ronnie likes the format and pounces at the oppertunity to win this tournament or atleast do well.

Postby SnookerFan

I am hoping to make the most of it. I am hoping to see some of my friends, drink some beer and maybe nip off down a local pub. (The nearest of which being 15 minutes walk away. :-( ) and just generally not be at work. :D

Postby randam05

Haha enjoy it then! sounds great..wish I could have a week of college! But i sky+ it all, watch when I get home and by the time that i finished watching that the evening session starts which is all good by me!

Postby Wildey

yes randam you hit the nail on the head there wont be classic matches.

you go 3-0 up in a best of 9 that creates some of the most classic matches but you go 3-0 down here you snake hissing off up the motorway lol

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:Haha enjoy it then! sounds great..wish I could have a week of college! But i sky+ it all, watch when I get home and by the time that i finished watching that the evening session starts which is all good by me!

Diddums. You can't get the week off college. Tiring doing two hours of work a day, is it?

Yes, I am posting this message from work, what's your point? <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

rocket_ron wrote:I feel very positive about the world open, its been on my mind since it as annonced. this im my kind of tourney, fast and random.

i think its gonna be great

No wonder you are a Ronnie fan, if you like things fast and random. <laugh>

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:I feel very positive about the world open, its been on my mind since it as annonced. this im my kind of tourney, fast and random.

i love the excitement.
now i love the worlds, uk and masters because there the big guns and prestigue however other than them 3 im looking out for the fast flowing snooker and thats why i like league or fa cup type snooker like the world open and PL. im also very looking forward to powersnooker.

Postby SnookerFan

rocket_ron wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

i love the excitement.
now i love the worlds, uk and masters because there the big guns and prestigue however other than them 3 im looking out for the fast flowing snooker and thats why i like league or fa cup type snooker like the world open and PL. im also very looking forward to powersnooker.

That's where we differ. The only thing I prefer about the Premier League over a tournament like the Shanghai Masters is that Sky's coverage is superior to that of Eurosports, in that you are guaranteed to see the whole match. Of every match.

Other then that I'd take a ranking event over the Premier League. So much more exciting. So much better quality.

Unfortunately the only time it ever clashsed, was when I'd booked tickets to the Premier League and bloody World Snooker chose to televise the Bahrain Championship as well as the PL. I was snake hissed. I'd still find a depleted ranking event in a non-snooker country over the PL. The shot clock seems at detriment to quality matches, in my eyes.

But each to their own. <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

well i would love to see a legue type ranking tourney. i would campagne for this.........

A massive ranking tourney where only top 32 play and everyone has to play everyone, so everyone plays 31 short matches then the top 4 on the table goes through to the finals.

i know there would be like 500 matches but at least you can say the winner has beat everyone or nearly beaten everyone.
this format means that fans cant moan about easy draws

Postby Wildey

that would get boring mate when will we get a winner no TV Company would be interested in it and it would mean there wont be much time in a season for anything else.

as it is the PL with only 7 players takes up 11 weeks about 3 months actual playing time.

a league involving that amount of players just could never work and there will be so much dead matches that meant nothing being played.

and to be a ranking tournament all players on tour should be in it not based on top anything.

before anyone says but the PTC Finals is for top 24 well yes but to get to the top 24 the other tournaments was available for all.

Postby SnookerFan

rocket_ron wrote:well i would love to see a legue type ranking tourney. i would campagne for this.........

A massive ranking tourney where only top 32 play and everyone has to play everyone, so everyone plays 31 short matches then the top 4 on the table goes through to the finals.

i know there would be like 500 matches but at least you can say the winner has beat everyone or nearly beaten everyone.
this format means that fans cant moan about easy draws

Good in theory, but wild is right. Too long-winded. Too drawn out. I can't see it working. And people would get bored with endless short matches. We all want more tournaments, but I think we are being a bit too radical with that one.

I think we are falling into a bit of a trap to be honest, in thinking short matches = good matches.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Ron, good guess, thered be 496 league matches in your tourny b4 the top 4 stage.
Roll on the World Open. Goin to it 4 six days, cant wait 4 the non stop drama

if i hear booing during King Hend match ill know witz in this affo <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Yep thatll b me Wild. Already jokin to my mates im going with that al b the only man in the arena cheering 4 Haneveer

Hanever is going down.

i saw enough from Stephen against Gould to realise he is up for a scrap even if the talent not there no more...

he was unlucky getting a flying Gould last week if only he had Steve Davis <doh> hed have got some decent Ranking Points.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:
Tiring doing two hours of work a day, is it?

5 hours yes. Plus atleast 15-20 hours of home coursework a week too with plenty of home revision nearer exams.

Feck, college has changed. I just used to snake hiss about. And drink.

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:haha probably has. But some 'study' periods I have off I will be able to keep in touch with the island during college hours.

You're in college? Wow, I still have a year to do :-(

As for the World Open, looking forward it to a lot <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:Yup what have you been studying if you dont mind me asking?

Hoping to do counselling, or something along those lines, but I change my mind a lot :santa: system is a bit different here Randam, you've got seven subjects with your best six results counting... mind you, if I fail, I've a handy plastering number to fall back on, but work has dried up as you know yourself.

To get back to snooker, how excited are people about this? What pluses and minuses do you see with the set up. The roll-on/roll-off is the major attraction with this one I feel...

Postby randam05

Ahh right I see, only pick four here.

roll-on/roll-off is the major attraction with this one I feel...

Agreed, other than that im not to excited about much else, apart from the fact its new and a suprise, And suprises are always exciting whether you think it will be dissapointing or great cause you just dont know.

On a scale from one to ten in snooker terms of being excited about a 5....world championship = 10/10

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:cheesyman meet randam, randam cheesyman :santa:

cheesyman has a blog and a good sense of humour

yes he suports Michael Holt :redneck: