Post a reply

2008 Ronnie vs Hendry is underrated

Postby Ace

Of course 2004/2013 get mentioned a lot but I don't see 2008 being mentioned a lot and I think it's underrated.
Okay Hendry obviously wasn't at his best (even though he started with a 3-0 lead including a 140) but that doesn't take away from Ronnie's huge powerscoring in the match because that amount of scoring is down to you and your skill on the day, just look at all the "0" points Hendry scored against Ronnie's big breaks

Re: 2008 Ronnie vs Hendry is underrated

Postby TheRocket

I agree its underrated but even though his 2008 stats are as good or maybe even better than 2004 I've always rated his 2004 level in higher regard. In the 2004 SF he played like an absolute machine from start to finish. In 2008 he struggled a lot in the 1st session and it wasnt until 6:4 or something like that before he finally played at his best.

Hendry was also a much better player in 2004 than he was in 2008. I know the Hendryfans will still tell you he was already past his prime in 2004 and stuff like that.

But Hendry had won the British Open that season by beating Ronnie in a high quality affair. Then he went on to destroy Ronnie 9:4 in the UK semifinals by making ten 50+ breaks. The stats are there for anyone to see. Hendry still played to a very high level that season.

So humiliating Hendry the way ROS did in 2004 was very impressive.

Postby Andre147

Very true TR, Hendry was still very much near his best in 2004, it was only after 2005 that his game started to decline a bit, but yeah he beat Ronnie twice in high quality affairs that season.

Postby Alex0paul

From 4-4 to 8-4 Hendry was absolutely appalling. Basically gifted so many chances leaving O'Sullivan in the balls.

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:From 4-4 to 8-4 Hendry was absolutely appalling. Basically gifted so many chances leaving O'Sullivan in the balls.

Not far from the truth, but ROS fully took advantage of it and afterwards was devastating.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Very true TR, Hendry was still very much near his best in 2004, it was only after 2005 that his game started to decline a bit, but yeah he beat Ronnie twice in high quality affairs that season.

Dont talk absalute tosh he was nowhere near his best yea his scoring was ok however he was relient on mistakes to get in rather than create chances himself.

Right guys im saying this only bucking once next thread like this the guy getting banned there are plenty of threads on subjects like these NOW bucking USE THEM i do not want to see another bucking thread like this up again its getting boring.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Very true TR, Hendry was still very much near his best in 2004, it was only after 2005 that his game started to decline a bit, but yeah he beat Ronnie twice in high quality affairs that season.

Dont talk absalute tosh he was nowhere near his best yea his scoring was ok however he was relient on mistakes to get in rather than create chances himself.

Right guys im saying this only bucking once next thread like this the guy getting banned there are plenty of threads on subjects like these NOW bucking USE THEM i do not want to see another bucking thread like this up again its getting boring.

Well beating Ronnie in two high profile matches that season tells me he was still playing well, and I said near, not his absolute best.

I didnt bring the thread up, but the match itself is a good one, even if you dont think it deserves a thread.

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Reading between the lines Wildey you seem a bit fed up with threads like this.

Have I got that right or am I reading to much into your post?

BAN!

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote::stupid:
Ck147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Reading between the lines Wildey you seem a bit fed up with threads like this.

BAN!

:stupid:

Is that meant to be you hitting me with some sort of dildo? Another ban in order I think. Like sailing close to the wind don't you sailor :)

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote::stupid:
Ck147 wrote:

BAN!

:stupid:

Is that meant to be you hitting me with some sort of dildo? Another ban in order I think. Like sailing close to the wind don't you sailor :)

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor sir.

Postby Wildey

its just recycling what ive been reading for as long as Snooker Island been in existence and its 10 years this year.

Could we talk about something fresh i even prefer Snookerfan going on about how often he has a rubbish during matches

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Well beating Ronnie in two high profile matches that season tells me he was still playing well, and I said near, not his absolute best.

I didnt bring the thread up, but the match itself is a good one, even if you dont think it deserves a thread.

The Key to Stephens game was always long potting that was the first thing that went and that was starting to go before the 1999 World Championship even but the last thing to go was his break building and that did give him chances against the top players for a decade but he got very relient on mistakes during the naughtees, Had that Hendry turned up in the 90s Steve Davis would have had a far better career.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:

u ok hun? X

Postby Ck147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

The Key to Stephens game was always long potting that was the first thing that went and that was starting to go before the 1999 World Championship even but the last thing to go was his break building and that did give him chances against the top players for a decade but he got very relient on mistakes during the naughtees, Had that Hendry turned up in the 90s Steve Davis would have had a far better career.

Davis had a good enough career, to me he was the start of modern snooker, like most sports the top guys/girls come and go. Snooker is a bit "funny" compared to other sports as you can have a career at the top lasting a decade or more, that generally doesn't happen in other sports like F1, cycling, football, etc. All greats in their era is all I have to say, and hard to compare across era like in so many other sports.

Postby Ace

Wildey wrote:

What the? I haven't done anything wrong to get a ban all I did was create a thread on the 2008 match, so what if you've heard it since your 10 years I've onlyy been here for a few months and I haven't disucssed it or heard opinions, I like to discuss good snooker performances across the years, peaks, that stuff is my thing if you don't like it then stay out of my thread and discuss the fresh news like stuart bingham's tattoo in the snooker news section but irrlevant stuff like that doesn't interest me, this does.

Other mods don't have any problems with my threads and at least I create discussions, this is the general player forum after all.

Postby Ck147

Ace wrote:
Wildey wrote:

What the? I haven't done anything wrong to get a ban all I did was create a thread on the 2008 match, so what if you've heard it since your 10 years I've onlyy been here for a few months and I haven't disucssed it or heard opinions, I like to discuss good snooker performances across the years, peaks, that stuff is my thing if you don't like it then stay out of my thread and discuss the fresh news like stuart bingham's tattoo in the snooker news section.

Other mods don't have any problems with my threads and at least I create discussions, this is the general player forum after all.

I'm fairly new too (few months), and your gripe is a fairly common complaint I've seen on many other forums/subjects. Agree with you in a way but every forum is different and I like what I have found here.

Anyway, whats that about Bingham having a tattoo?

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:

its just recycling what ive been reading for as long as Snooker Island been in existence and its 10 years this year.

Could we talk about something fresh i even prefer Snookerfan going on about how often he has a rubbish during matches

Last night I had a rubbish. It was quite satisfying...

Postby Ash147

Considering Ronnie made a maximum, beat Hendry with a session to spare, and almost did the same to Carter in the final, I still rank his other 4 WC's above this one.

Postby Wildey

Look i might have over reacted but you got to understand these threads goes round in circles and gets tedious

i agree, i dont you might agree but then again i dont

it just goes like that for 30 pages

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Wildey wrote:Look i might have over reacted but you got to understand these threads goes round in circles and gets tedious

i agree

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Wildey wrote:Look i might have over reacted but you got to understand these threads goes round in circles and gets tedious

i agree

I disagree.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

i agree

I disagree.

I would like to hear more discussion on the matter before deciding.

Postby SnookerFan

To be fair to Wild.

He'd be the first to admit he loses his temper sometimes, but he's been modding this forum for ages. He was doing it for years when a lot of the other mods had buggered off.

He for the most part is fair. He lifted Ash's ban so he could come back for The Crucible. Not having a go at Ash, by the way. Just saying some mods on some forums wouldn't even consider doing that. Wild is open to discussion on a lot of these things, and I've witness him apologise for losing his temper. So he's not unfair with it.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:To be fair to Wild.

He'd be the first to admit he loses his temper sometimes, but he's been modding this forum for ages. He was doing it for years when a lot of the other mods had buggered off.

He for the most part is fair. He lifted Ash's ban so he could come back for The Crucible. Not having a go at Ash, by the way. Just saying some mods on some forums wouldn't even consider doing that. Wild is open to discussion on a lot of these things, and I've witness him apologise for losing his temper. So he's not unfair with it.

:goodpost: