Post a reply

Ronnie has never beaten Selby in a ranking event final

Postby Ace

2008 Welsh Open = 9-8
2014 World Championship = 18-14
2016 UK Championship = 10-7

How can you be the GOAT if you still can't beat one of your main rivals in a ranking event final? Two of them losses are pretty big, especially 2014 and Ronnie was banging prime form at the time from 2012-2014. 2008 he was in prime form too.

Re: Ronnie has never beaten Selby in a ranking event final

Postby Ace

Iranu wrote:That’s an easy one:

Two Masters finals > one Welsh final

World Championship final >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all other finals.

Selby has also won a Masters final vs Ronnie. Ronnie has yet to after 11 years beat Selby in a ranking event final, forget a triple crown ranking event final even just a normal one would do.

Federer was able to beat Nadal at Australian Open 2017 after repeated beatings by the hands of Nadal, that's what you call GOAT.

Postby Ace

SnookerFan wrote:The Saviour > Ace.

Do you actually have an answer to my question?

Why do you always go off-topic when I present a proper question? Have I said anything wrong there? It's facts, Ronnie hasn't beaten Selby in a final. I know you're a Ronnie fan even though you don't claim to be one :roll: because you don't like any of the questions I say, because they hurt.

If you're going to be the GOAT, you have to be able to beat one of your main rivals, Selby is probably #2 biggest rival of Ronnie's and Ronnie has never been able to beat him on the big occasions and where it matters most after 11 years!!!

Postby SnookerFan

Ace wrote:

Why do you always go off-topic when I present a proper question? Have I said anything wrong there? It's facts, Ronnie hasn't beaten Selby in a final. I know you're a Ronnie fan even though you don't claim to be one :roll: because you don't like any of the questions I say, because they hurt.

If you're going to be the GOAT, you have to be able to beat one of your main rivals, Selby is probably #2 biggest rival of Ronnie's and Ronnie has never been able to beat him on the big occasions and where it matters most after 11 years!!!

Fine, you have completely dispelled Ronnie's legacy by citing three matches where he lost...

Postby Ace

SnookerFan wrote:
Ace wrote:

Fine, you have completely dispelled Ronnie's legacy by citing three matches where he lost...

I never said that, I said how can you be THE GOAT if you can't beat one of your biggest rivals on the biggest stages? GOATs are meant to rise to the occasion.

Postby Ace

SnookerFan wrote:I can't think of anybody else that Mark Selby isn't....

What Im saying is there's a difference between playing pigeon - Murphy and a proper elite champion - Selby.

This can't be highlighted more clearer than UK Championship 2016 and UK Championship 2017, you could even make a case that Ronnie was playing similar in UK Championship 2016 final than 2017 final. But Selby went toe to toe in the last session and came out on top

Postby Ace

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I was unaware that Ronnie had failed to beat Selby in a final.

Interesting stat that to be fair.

Exactly and Ronnie had 3 tries, you can't say he needed more meetings in ranking finals either.

Postby Ace

Andre147 wrote:Yes he's never beaten him? And?

2014 World Final was their biggest match, but apart from that the other losses didnt really bother me that much.\

So you can't be the GOAT if you can't beat your 2nd biggest rival on the biggest occasions. Not to mention Selby has actually beaten Ronnie 2x at the WC but of course 2014 was their biggest match.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:Judd > Ronnie

It’s official.

Time to tear up Pink Ball’s list.

Steady on Iranu!

I think we need to see how Judd performs this season first. If he maintains his form from the end of last season then I think he will beat Ronnie 8 out of 10, but I am not yet convinced that he will.

Postby Ace

Also no way you guys weren't bothered about Ronnie losing in 2016, he was actually in good form in UK 2016 from the first match and was the man to beat and he was coming in that tournament after losing 2 finals, plus it would've been much sweeter to beat Selby in 2016 UK than beating Murphy in 2017 surely

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

It’s official.

Steady on Iranu!

I think we need to see how Judd performs this season first. If he maintains his form from the end of last season then I think he will beat Ronnie 8 out of 10, but I am not yet convinced that he will.

Haven’t you been reading?

Judd is now the benchmark.

Postby Ace

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

It’s official.

Steady on Iranu!

Haven’t you been reading?

Judd is now the benchmark.

stick to topic you're going off-topic this has nothing to do with Judd i know know he's the man of the moment right now and the new King but chill <cool>

Postby Andre147

Ace wrote:Also no way you guys weren't bothered about Ronnie losing in 2016, he was actually in good form in UK 2016 from the first match and was the man to beat and he was coming in that tournament after losing 2 finals, plus it would've been much sweeter to beat Selby in 2016 UK than beating Murphy in 2017 surely

A title is a title at the end of the day. Yes it wasn't good that he lost, but I got over it the minute it ended. He never looked like winning the Final after a horrible 1st session. Yes he did well to recover, but the damage was already done.

Postby TheRocket

I agree that from Ronnies point of view its quite a poor stat, losing three ranking finals to Selby. But on the other hand he defeated him in two Mastersfinals. Ranker or not but its a much bigger occasion than a Welsh Open final. I even dare to say, bigger than an UK final.

But more importantly. Ronnie has a leading H2H against Selby.