Post a reply

Teams World Cup Snooker

Postby gr8thoughts

There have been some great snooker teams world cups, and I look forward to the next one with a special fondness. One idea that might be fun to discuss is what if we had a tournament (or multi tier ladder) of teams of 4 with each team containing all the best players who grew up in this local authority area (or we could consider police force areas). Supposing this were brought in with all the top players taking part and with nothing else competing for them in one special month of every year, we could set up a magical teams contest with teams Essex, Leics, Surrey, Norfolk, Staffs, Lancs, Wiltshire, Durham, Cornwall, Dorset, .... .... and with other countries going up against these.

The format of play is also a fun discussion point, and there are many good ideas concerning these too.

A teams contest in Asia might have one team per country and one team per province of China maybe ... and setting up a global system to link them up in a wise way if the perfect format is found could also form part of this discussion ...

Re: Teams World Cup Snooker

Postby lhpirnie

gr8thoughts wrote:There have been some great snooker teams world cups, and I look forward to the next one with a special fondness. One idea that might be fun to discuss is what if we had a tournament (or multi tier ladder) of teams of 4 with each team containing all the best players who grew up in this local authority area (or we could consider police force areas). Supposing this were brought in with all the top players taking part and with nothing else competing for them in one special month of every year, we could set up a magical teams contest with teams Essex, Leics, Surrey, Norfolk, Staffs, Lancs, Wiltshire, Durham, Cornwall, Dorset, .... .... and with other countries going up against these.

The format of play is also a fun discussion point, and there are many good ideas concerning these too.

A teams contest in Asia might have one team per country and one team per province of China maybe ... and setting up a global system to link them up in a wise way if the perfect format is found could also form part of this discussion ...

In terms of China, if you are careful about how you add up the regions (they have Provinces, Special Administrative Zones and Autonomous Regions), you get 32, which is a perfect number for an inter-Provincal knockout. It could be teams or individuals. Would be the biggest competition in any sport.

Postby chengdufan

Tibet would struggle to cobble together a team. Drawing them in the first round would be like the world number one drawing an amateur in the first round of the world championships. A sur... oh.

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:Tibet would struggle to cobble together a team. Drawing them in the first round would be like the world number one drawing an amateur in the first round of the world championships. A sur... oh.

rofl

Postby vodkadiet1

This event is just calendar filling. It means nothing. After the Brexit result I hope England lose at everything but I cannot even be bothered with jeering England in this rubbish.

Postby The_Abbott

Time of Waste.

Rearrange these words and you get my feelings about this World Cup

Postby Iranu

Feet is a worm?

That doesn’t make any bloody sense, Abbott.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Feet is a worm?

Took me a minute to work out what you were on about. rofl

Postby SteveJJ

When footballers make themselves unavailable for international duty, there is a certain cross section of English supporters who get irate about it. That you should never say no to representing your country. That somehow its unpatriotic.

Assuming Ronnie doesn't take up his place here, would any English snooker fans feel the same way about his decision?

Postby The_Abbott

Iranu wrote:Feet is a worm?

Very good :win: You win a Dennis Taylor word bingo set

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:When footballers make themselves unavailable for international duty, there is a certain cross section of English supporters who get irate about it. That you should never say no to representing your country. That somehow its unpatriotic.

Assuming Ronnie doesn't take up his place here, would any English snooker fans feel the same way about his decision?

No.

Because the World Cup Of Snooker is, to put it bluntly, a bit rubbish.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I read somewhere about how 80% of the tickets for the Cricket World Cup held in England were sold in that country but less than half of the tickets were bought by England fans which means there must be a lot of people living in England supporting other teams. If the Snooker World Cup was in London or Birmingham you would get better crowds and there would be supporters for most countries playing.

Postby Lemnas

SteveJJ wrote:Is there a format where the world cup would be good/better?

If all members of a team hadn't have to be from one country. It is just an exhibition event, so there is no need for it. Snooker obviously doesn't fit a team format as well as other sports, but this has more of an unique character or however you want to call it than most other tournaments. I don't mind it.
Both players should play in every frame too.

Postby Dan-cat

Lemnas wrote:

If all members of a team hadn't have to be from one country. It is just an exhibition event, so there is no need for it. Snooker obviously doesn't fit a team format as well as other sports, but this has more of an unique character or however you want to call it than most other tournaments. I don't mind it.

Do you prefer Scotch doubles? One shot each

Postby carayip

I have noticed that Scottish and Welsh people appear to be much more patriotic than Englishmen. Their top guys, namely Higgins and Williams might skip other smaller events but they never miss the World Cup. While for England, it’s not just ROS not being bothered but several other top players as well

Postby Lemnas

Dan-cat wrote:
Lemnas wrote:

Do you prefer Scotch doubles? One shot each

Yes. I didn't know that term, but it describes what I meant.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

carayip wrote:I have noticed that Scottish and Welsh people appear to be much more patriotic than Englishmen. Their top guys, namely Higgins and Williams might skip other smaller events but they never miss the World Cup. While for England, it’s not just ROS not being bothered but several other top players as well

For smaller countries or countries outside Snooker's core it means more to be competing in a World Cup.

Postby gallantrabbit

I think teams of 2 is naff. Should be at least 3. Wanted England to be Wilson and Trump :box:

Really do wonder too why the doubles has never been brought back. I think it's a cracker.

Postby mick745

SteveJJ wrote:When footballers make themselves unavailable for international duty, there is a certain cross section of English supporters who get irate about it. That you should never say no to representing your country. That somehow its unpatriotic.

Football is a team game. Snooker is not. International football is the pinnacle of the sport. The snooker world championships is the pinnacle of that sport. Individual's going for individual glory. Judd Trump isnt representing England in the world championships he is representing himself. If Ronnie acts like a brat he isnt letting his country down he's letting himself down.

Postby vodkadiet1

carayip wrote:I have noticed that Scottish and Welsh people appear to be much more patriotic than Englishmen. Their top guys, namely Higgins and Williams might skip other smaller events but they never miss the World Cup. While for England, it’s not just ROS not being bothered but several other top players as well

Patriotism is for the brainwashed.

Postby SteveJJ

The teams are in.

No shows for England, Hong Kong and Australia with Kyren and Jack representing England, no Fu or Robbo.

That means 4 Englishmen turned it down, backing up Carayips point with the likes of Wales and Scotland being full strength.

China B go with Yuelong and Wenbo. Promotion for Yan, demotion for Liang.

Postby Andy Sparky

Four man teams? No, two is enough! Bash Judd's and Ronnie's heads together, then while the stars are still spinning above their cerebral cortex tell them that a partnership in the World Cup is what the snooker world want to see...well, at least Ronnie fans do. :party:

Postby SnookerFan

Kyren Wilson can’t wait to represent his country when he competes in the Snooker World Cup for the first time next week.

The world number eight will join forces with world number 11 Jack Lisowski to take on 23 other teams in the invitational event in China.

The World Cup is staged every two years and Wilson and Lisowski will be hoping to take England one step further than in 2017 when the pairing of Judd Trump and Barry Hawkins were beaten 4-3 by the Chinese team of Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo in the final.

England have been placed in Group B for the round robin stage and will start their campaign against Hong Kong on Monday with the top two from the four groups going through to compete in the quarter-finals.

“It’s going to be a unique experience and it’s nice to be able to represent your country instead of yourself for once,” the Kettering cueman said.

“Jack and I are the same sort of age so we came through the junior ranks together, it’s good to see him doing so well.

“I think the last time we represented our country would have been when we were 15 or 16 so it’s great to get that chance again.

“I think it’s also good that two of the younger lads are getting the opportunity.

“It’s another trip to China and both of us have had good results out there and hopefully we can get things going and we will try to bring the World Cup home.”

Wilson has enjoyed a solid start to the new season after he qualified for both the Kaspersky Riga Masters and the International Championship.

He knocked in three half-century breaks to be Fergal O’Brien 4-1 in his qualifier for the Riga Masters, which gets under way on July 26.

And he followed that up by seeing off Brandon Sergeant 6-4 to seal his spot in the International Championship in China from August 4.

“It’s been a bit of an odd one because the season has started a bit earlier with these qualifiers and I have not really been practising that much,” he added.

“So I am really pleased to have got through both of them. The performances weren’t the best but I managed to get the job done and that’s all that matters.”

Wellingborough’s Jamie O’Neill marked his return to the World Tour by qualifying for the Riga Masters with an eye-catching 4-1 victory over world number nine Barry Hawkins with O’Neill firing in fine breaks of 120 and 101 in the process.

But he was unable to secure a place in the International Championship as he was beaten 6-1 by Stephen Maguire in the qualifying stage.

Raunds’ Harvey Chandler, meanwhile, will play world number one Mark Selby in his qualifying match for the Riga Masters but that has been held over until the event itself on July 26.

But Chandler missed out on a place in the International Championship after going down 6-2 to Martin Gould in their clash in the qualifiers.

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/sp ... -1-8969276

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:This is sponsored by Beverly.

Who is Beverly?

Beverly lives next door to me, nice woman, we sometimes feed her cat when she goes away.

Just kidding, I couldn't find much on Beverly, spent a few minutes searching, maybe English name for a Chinese investment capital firm based in Shanghai? (That's the closest I got to anything making a bit of sense but honestly dunno!)