Post a reply

Re: Gilbert Interview

Postby SnookerFan

I really hope Dave Gilbert wins a ranking event next season.

He's obviously capable. It's just a case of taking the final step, converting finals into victories.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:I really hope Dave Gilbert wins a ranking event next season.

He's obviously capable. It's just a case of taking the final step, converting finals into victories.

Good player, but lacks bottle when it comes down to it.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:

I do worry that he won't win one. He has the skills. But the last frame to win is always the hardest, as they say.

I hope I'm wrong.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:

If there’s one player Gilbert should look to for inspiration it’s Hawkins. There’s a player who lacks bottle but he’s won 3 rankers.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

If there’s one player Gilbert should look to for inspiration it’s Hawkins. There’s a player who lacks bottle but he’s won 3 rankers.

Gilbert has also faced stronger opposition in the finals he's been in. He's played Higgins, Williams and Wilson. Compare that to Hawkins, who has played Ebdon, Greene and Day.

If Gilbert had Hawkins' opposition in those finals, I'd be amazed if he didn't win at least one of the three finals.

Postby Alex0paul

It still hurts me thinking about that match

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

I'm not sure it's fair to say he completely lacks bottle. I mean, granted it wasn't the highest level of opposition in those finals you mentioned. But you do still have to go and win them.

Postby Iranu

I was being a bit simplistic, true (although I didn’t say completely! But as Ash says when you look at who he beat, I think it’s pretty telling.

It’s a good sign for Gilbert that he felt comfortable even in the decider against Higgins. Hopefully that will give him confidence if he gets another chance to win a final.

Postby The_Abbott

Ash147 wrote:

Mark Williams should give him some of his bottle. Throw in a few kababs too.