Post a reply

Ronnie threatening to miss the triple crown events

Postby SnookerFan

What's our opinion?

Does he mean this? Or is it just more waffle from the guy who retired at 17 and recently created a break-away tour?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/snooker/201 ... ssion=true

Edit. What I will point out is, that he says a lot more in that interview than that 'bombshell'. That's what the headline is, but the interview is on various other subjects.

Re: Ronnie threatening to miss the triple crown events

Postby TheSaviour

That´s a quite a monologue from Ronnie. I am used to hear positive monologues but this one sounds as a dark and a depressing monologue. But monologues are the only reasonable way to go. Not that easy to have ones. It is always really easy to tell how things should be and so to dictate things. Or to pretend to be something really great when having a "discussion" going on.

He should be there to challenge Kleckers.

It is a hard people´s job. Drinking and boozing it away. So that´s the way it is always should be, otherwise no really credit towards ANYONE. One just always requires proofs that it has been the case lol. With Alex Higgins that was no problem at all. But Alex was no coward, if I have understand it right. There yours difference. So that´s why that sounds as a quite dark monologue from Ronnie´s part, as currently he can´t afford to claim he would be even a real top-3 player, not to even mention to dominate the sport if he would just be fancying the job...

Postby The_Abbott

I think he will miss a lot of tournaments this season. I believe him there but I cannot see him missing the Masters invitational event. I can see him missing UK though. Worlds? maybe to make a point but I doubt it.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:I think he will miss a lot of tournaments this season. I believe him there but I cannot see him missing the Masters invitational event. I can see him missing UK though. Worlds? maybe to make a point but I doubt it.

What point do you reckon he'd be making?

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I think he will miss a lot of tournaments this season. I believe him there but I cannot see him missing the Masters invitational event. I can see him missing UK though. Worlds? maybe to make a point but I doubt it.

That hes a man of his word. Not like the other 14 times he has threatened not to enter

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

That hes a man of his word. Not like the other 14 times he has threatened not to enter

So, no point at all really. rofl

Postby Dan-cat

'I don’t see it as necessary to stand there and talk about this opponent, that tournament, how I think the game went. I’m bored of that ****. I ain’t got nothing to say except let my snooker do the talking.'

Apart from working for Eurosport.

He's such a contradictory beast.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I can only read the first few paragraphs. The problem for Ronnie is that some of the events he likes playing in require entering a load of other tournaments.

Pretty much.

He seems to think that they'll let him in top-16 tournaments, without him having to mantain his top-16 status.

Postby TheRocket

I doubt he will. But I think he'll miss a lot of tournament this season.

But there might be small chance he might pull out of the World Championship. Simply because of the recent history. He looked like a nervous wreck in the last two years. And if he doesnt feel comfortable and isnt ready to put more effort and energy into the World Championship there's no point in participating.

Postby D4P

Ronnie would play more often (and enjoy himself more) if he didn't have to give so many interviews after his matches, and if the interviewers would ask him questions about other things besides snooker (especially, his own snooker performance).

It couldn't be more obvious that he hates talking about his own snooker performance, but that's (understandably) all the interviewers want to ask him about...

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:Ronnie would play more often (and enjoy himself more) if he didn't have to give so many interviews after his matches, and if the interviewers would ask him questions about other things besides snooker (especially, his own snooker performance).

It couldn't be more obvious that he hates talking about his own snooker performance, but that's (understandably) all the interviewers want to ask him about...

Part of being one of the greatest of all time and being one of the best, its media commitments.

Postby Andre147

He might miss more tournaments, but like its been mentioned here, the tournaments he does enjoy playing, namely ITV events, require him to get some ranking money during the season, hence he needs to enter other tournaments.

He contradicts himself all the time. Nothing new really. But his comments about the Worlds pretty much sum up his attitude these last few years there. Since 2014, the only time he seemed to take it seriously was in 2017 when Ding stopped him, and he's only played one good match, the 2016 Hawkins one which he lost. And Vodka is right for once, the 2014 took its toll on him. He's now not willing to put the same effort knowing he might lose in the Final match, hence he'd rather lose early.

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:If he really does play only 4 events this season with no Triple Crowns, my guess would be that he'll play Shanghai, CoC, and 2 Home Nations.

Forget it, he's up to his usual garbage again.

He could play a bit less than last season, but I'd be surprised if he doesnt play at least 7 or 8 tournaments.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I agree with Andre and would be surprised if he did not enter the Worlds, UK and Masters.

From one angle, I would like him to stay away as I think he disrespects these tournaments with comments like these. However, looking at it another way I would like him to be there.....

....Judd fodder!! :dinner:

Postby Lemnas

Ronnie does a 2000-word long interview promoting his new nutrition book and also mentions how much better he feels since he has improved his nutrition, that he still still loves competing and that he is happy about the support from his fans.
But he will go from playing in 11 big tournaments to playing in three small tournaments.
Why? Because he is so exhausted promoting the game he loves so much and just wants to be there for his fans.

Makes sense to me!

I think Ronnie will play roughly as much as last season in the beginning. It can get interesting if it will look like he doesn't qualify for the Players or Tour Championship. He could either have a gigantic meltdown or he could actually play a fair number of tournaments and go to qualifying. Probably the former.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:From one angle, I would like him to stay away as I think he disrespects these tournaments with comments like these.

IMO, Ronnie doesn't disrespect snooker or the tournaments: His critical comments are pretty much always aimed at Barry Hearn and the way Barry runs World Snooker.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:From one angle, I would like him to stay away as I think he disrespects these tournaments with comments like these.

IMO, Ronnie doesn't disrespect snooker or the tournaments: His critical comments are pretty much always aimed at Barry Hearn and the way Barry runs World Snooker.

I wholly concede to that as an accurate summation.