Post a reply

Re: Bazza's annual press conference

Postby SteveJJ

Cloud Strife wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:A press conference about nothing.

Save for the things it was about

Which wasn't much of anything anyway.

What were you realistically expecting?

More than what we got.

You're revealing as little or less than what you are criticising Hearn for.

Postby Lemnas

SteveJJ wrote:
Lemnas wrote:
Lemnas wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJK6OpL9MQ4

- Hearn has backed down on AST, no direct punishment for being over 30 seconds in a match.

- breaks between frames will be monitored similar to the AST and might be limited in the future
- High Break prizes will increase to make up for the (impossible) 147 pool, no difference between non-TV and TV stages
- Asian Q School during next season
- top 32 instead of top 16 seeded for the Home Nations (I like that a lot)
- 100k bonus for the player who wins the most prize money in the Coral series

I wouldn't say hes backed down on AST, but that at the moment it is less of an issue than last year what with fewer players above 30 seconds for the season. He said it will be monitored by refs of those who are still an issue. Whether that will embolden refs to use their existing powers remains to be seen.

I'm surprised he didn't crow that the improvement wasnt down to his threats. He did seem quite conciliatory towards the players, thanking them on a few occasions.

Oh and front row Brian and the rest will be entertained with some form of exhibition if it finishes quickly this evening.

Last year he was talking about financial penalties after three matches over 30 seconds AST, no word on that now. So I would say he has backed down in that regard.

Postby Cloud Strife

SteveJJ wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
Save for the things it was about

Which wasn't much of anything anyway.

What were you realistically expecting?

More than what we got.

You're revealing as little or less than what you are criticising Hearn for.

Fair enough.

I just found both of his press conferences this year very underwhelming. They were by dominated by things like slow play, toilet breaks and minor reshuffling of prize money, stuff which doesn't really resonate with me at any level TBH.

I was hoping to hear about snooker's continued globalisation, with events in new territories. I was hoping to hear about a diversification of sponsorship away from the betting companies. Basically things of that nature, but I accept it wasn't very realistic to expect those sorts of announcements this time around.

This is all just my opinion of course. Others may view the press conferences differently which is fine.

Postby Snooker89

He did briefly touch sponsorship in last years press conference something about we are always looking at opportunities elsewhere and we are pleased with the response we are getting but then again this year the contract was renewed with betfred. Betting sponsorship could be also be banned soon. He said something today about working on a new image Launch for World Snooker in September. i wonder what thats about?

Postby SteveJJ

Fair enough.

I just found both of his press conferences this year very underwhelming. They were by dominated by things like slow play, toilet breaks and minor reshuffling of prize money, stuff which doesn't really resonate with me at any level TBH.

I was hoping to hear about snooker's continued globalisation, with events in new territories. I was hoping to hear about a diversification of sponsorship away from the betting companies. Basically things of that nature, but I accept it wasn't very realistic to expect those sorts of announcements this time around.

This is all just my opinion of course. Others may view the press conferences differently which is fine.

Good points.

Guess we will see with the calendar tomorrow but I'm sure if there were new territories he would have trumpeted it today, so you are probably right there to be disappointed. Especially if the Paul Hunter Classic is reduced to an invitational.

Postby OoNebsoO

Erza Scarlet wrote:Imagine if a player contributes to making more than one 147s while another player makes one 147 on the 20th 147 and the prize money is shared equally lol

Fairly certain it's not like that.

Player makes 10 maximums, gets 500k, other with one, 50k. Assuming there were twenty in season, what probably won't happen.

Postby The_Abbott

HappyCamper wrote:Provisional calendar published. Not much interesting in the way any new confirmed events.

World Open, International Championship, European Masters, and Indian Open missing or TBC.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/2019-20-season-calendar/

Pretty light unless the TBC's become something real. Maybe European/World Open missing because venue not secured.

Postby mick745

Absolute joke. No wonder the diary wasnt announced during the WSC. What other sport would have some of its biggest events showing as 'potential' 'possible' or tbc on their yearly calendars?

And it appears this is version 12. What did the previous versions look like?

How are people supposed to plan?

Is the sport not in as healthy state as bazza claims?

Postby The_Abbott

mick745 wrote:Absolute joke. No wonder the diary wasnt announced during the WSC. What other sport would have some of its biggest events showing as 'potential' 'possible' or tbc on their yearly calendars?

And it appears this is version 12. What did the previous versions look like?

How are people supposed to plan?

Is the sport not in as healthy state as bazza claims?

I remember a few years ago players had the same criticism. They couldn't pre-plan flights because they had no idea where they were travelling when.

At least we will have Gibs Open again.

Postby fridge46

World Open, India, International Championships and European Masters are missing, but theres 6 "Possible ranking event slots", meaning theres the potential for 2 new ranking events...

Free dates are:

August 4-11 (World Open? qualies in June after Riga Q)
October 6-12 (European Masters? qualies in August)
Oct 27-Nov 3 (International Championship? qualies in early October)
November 20-24 (only 5 days booked - Indian Open? qualies in late October)
January 20-26 (New event? qualies in December)
March 2-8 (New event? qualies in January)

If we do have 2 new ranking events, I would like to see them in Thailand and continental Europe (Poland, Malta, etc), or possibly Ireland.

EDIT: Just noticed that China Championship doesnt have any qualifying dates :chin:

Postby snoopy2608

it was mid July last year before they released ranking cut-offs and ranking points schedule - it is concerning though how few non UK events have been confirmed so far...

no dates for challenge tour listed yet when first event last year started 2 June

Postby SnookerFan

The Player Championships not a confirmed venue?

I was hoping it'd be in Preston again. As it's cheap hotels, and they're all best of eleven matches I was thinking of going up for the week.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:The tour championships is in Llandudno now.

I was hoping it'd be in Preston again. As it's cheap hotels, and they're all best of eleven matches I was thinking of going up for the week.

Tour champ was in Llandudno this year. Twas the players champ that were in Preston. Though both it and world grand Prix are down as tbc interestingly.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The tour championships is in Llandudno now.

Tour champ was in Llandudno this year. Twas the players champ that were in Preston. Though both it and world grand Prix are down as tbc interestingly.

Post editing is not allowed. :no:

Joking. You obviously quoted me before I realised I'd got the names muddled up and edited the post.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Maybe I should go to Belfast this year?

Maybe you should go to Watford this year?

Has it stopped being a ranking event?

Postby Ronnie79

Hearn is full of sh1t. he said there would be 20 ranking events next season. it is down to 15 on the provisional calendar. World Open, International, European and Indian gone and the PHC is now a 16 man invitational. so it has gone from 20 down to 15. there is no way they will add 5 rankers at this stage. hearn is a liar.

Postby Ronnie79

Hearn is full of rubbish. he said there would be 20 ranking events next season. it is down to 15 on the provisional calendar. World Open, International, European and Indian gone and the PHC is now a 16 man invitational. so it has gone from 20 down to 15. there is no way they will add 5 rankers at this stage. hearn is a liar.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Maybe I should go to Belfast this year?

Maybe you should go to Watford this year?

Has it stopped being a ranking event?

NEVER!!!

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:They've cancelled the World Snooker awards on thurs. I wonder why that is

Snooker as a sport is ending :gag: