Post a reply

Will Trump dominate now the chains are off?

Postby vodkadiet1

Judd Trump will win The World Championships tomorrow but go he become the dominant player now? He will surely defend his title successfully next season? What else can he achieve? Can he threaten Hendry's 7 world titles? Can he stay at number 1 for a long time?

Re: Will Trump dominate now the chains are off?

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Fulsome praise for Trumps display across many media sources. Whether it is hyperbole or not remains to be seen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/48181533

Fair play to Judd, he played exceptionally well. And seems to have matured.

But a bit early to call it a new era of dominance, isn't it? I'm not saying it won't happen, but somewhat in advance. People were saying the same stuff in 2011.

The BBC have been trying to make him The New Ronnie for years.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I agree SF - far too early.

I think this nonsense has hindered his career.

He believed he was as awesome as the BBC told him for years. It less him to assume all he'd have to do is turn up to win.

It's taken him far too long to realise that isn't the case.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:The BBC have been trying to make him The New Ronnie for years.

Indeed. Getting a bit tiresome. Fair play to Judd if he starts to dominate, but I don't see it happening.

Although I have to say he doesn't have very strong opposition right now. The class of '92 is still great, but they are getting old. Ronnie is obviously a force to be reckoned with, but he doesn't play many tournaments. Mark Selby seems to have lost his game and motivation, Robbo tends to play too negative, Ding can't find his A game... If Judd really has it in him, now is the time to dominate.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I agree SF - far too early.

I think this nonsense has hindered his career.

He believed he was as awesome as the BBC told him for years. It less him to assume all he'd have to do is turn up to win.

It's taken him far too long to realise that isn't the case.

Ronnie had to deal with that as well in his younger days. Still does, in some way. People expect him to play like a genius all the time.

Postby TheRocket

As I said before. The dominance stuff is the usual rubbish the Pundits come up with.

What we've seen is that an established topplayer has finally won his maiden World title. Thats all. Can he win more World titles and UK's/Masters? Well no doubt.

But he wont dominate. No one will.

Postby The_Abbott

I hold my hands up because I said on this very forum that Trump would never win the WC. His shot selection was too wild. I was wrong. So my next statement is this. He won't win another WC