27%
No votes
8%
8%
No votes
No votes
42%

Total votes : 26

Re: Worst World Championship of the decade?

Postby SteveJJ

Regardless of whether this years is the worst or not, isnt it a bit early to say? We could still have someone make a 147, we could have an 18-17 cliffhanger of a final, Patsy Fagan could be spitted in the crowd. All those things may bump it up the list.

But seriously if this is the worst then we will have been spoilt for choice considering we've seen.

Most centuries ever.
The first amateur playing
World number 1 being beaten by an amateur.
Other shocks.
Longest frame at the Crucible.
Deciders.
Two newbies in the semis

Postby Erza Scarlet

Hmm, definitely 2019. I had 2016 at the top of my list but this one takes the cake.

Since I grew up watching Snooker from the late 90s to mid 2000s, I think people who hadn't won a WC during that time like Hunter of 2003, Stevens etc would've won this.

Postby Ash147

Erza Scarlet wrote:Hmm, definitely 2019. I had 2016 at the top of my list but this one takes the cake.

Since I grew up watching Snooker from the late 90s to mid 2000s, I think people who hadn't won a WC during that time like Hunter of 2003, Stevens etc would've won this.

Absolutely. If you look at the quality of players in the late 90's to early 2000's, quite a lot of them would walk this tournament in 2019. Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Stephen Hendry, Ken Doherty, Paul Hunter, Peter Ebdon, Matthew Stevens - Any of these would win it comfortably this year.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Ash147 wrote:Absolutely. If you look at the quality of players in the late 90's to early 2000's, quite a lot of them would walk this tournament in 2019. Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Stephen Hendry, Ken Doherty, Paul Hunter, Peter Ebdon, Matthew Stevens - Any of these would win it comfortably this year.

Yep. Is Stephen Lee a stretch? He had a few nice runs in the QFs and SF but was stopped by prime versions of the Class of 92. Even if he had won against one of them he'd have to face another top player lol

Postby Ash147

Erza Scarlet wrote:
Ash147 wrote:Absolutely. If you look at the quality of players in the late 90's to early 2000's, quite a lot of them would walk this tournament in 2019. Ronnie O'Sullivan, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Stephen Hendry, Ken Doherty, Paul Hunter, Peter Ebdon, Matthew Stevens - Any of these would win it comfortably this year.

Yep. Is Stephen Lee a stretch? He had a few nice runs in the QFs and SF but was stopped by prime versions of the Class of 92. Even if he had won against one of them he'd have to face another top player lol

I almost put Stephen Lee. He did well, considering the quality of opposition he had. He always seems to go under the radar in the class of 92, but at his peak I could see him getting close this year.

Postby snooker_loopy

The semis have been bad. At times really bad in an 'amateur down the club' kinda way. it just goes to show how pressure and tension can destroy a player's confidence. If you're blessed with snooker talent, the rest is confidence. Once that goes you can be as average as an amateur. It's kind of scary when you think about. Judd and John have made over 600 century breaks - a phenomenal achievement - but when they lose their confidence they look like decent amateurs but not pro standard.

It's such a brutal game. No wonder some players want to quit when they keep losing. It must be a bit heart breaking to be good at the sport but go through a bad spell when you can barely make a 40 break. I wouldn't be surprised if Higgins does retire in the next few years.

Postby Jester82

The first final between Higgins and Trump was sensational madness. All these exhibition shots and that double from Higgins in the last frame. Was a reminder when Snooker peaked in terms of quality play.

Postby Pink Ball

Jester82 wrote:The first final between Higgins and Trump was sensational madness. All these exhibition shots and that double from Higgins in the last frame. Was a reminder when Snooker peaked in terms of quality play.

Nonsense. We were about 10 years past snooker’s peak at that stage.

Postby Jester82

Pink Ball wrote:
Jester82 wrote:The first final between Higgins and Trump was sensational madness. All these exhibition shots and that double from Higgins in the last frame. Was a reminder when Snooker peaked in terms of quality play.

First I meant the final, not the entire tourney. Second, I know it was 10 years past. That's why I said it reminded me of that time when Snooker was at its peak.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

Snooker is ALWAYS at it's peak.

Postby The_Abbott

Top three from me:

2012 - the year Ronnie had the year out and still won (or was it 2013? I forget). It was too predictable
2015 - because Bingham or Murphy could have won. Simply awful
2016 - I've even forgotten everything about this year

Postby The_Abbott

snooker_loopy wrote:The semis have been bad. At times really bad in an 'amateur down the club' kinda way. it just goes to show how pressure and tension can destroy a player's confidence. If you're blessed with snooker talent, the rest is confidence. Once that goes you can be as average as an amateur. It's kind of scary when you think about. Judd and John have made over 600 century breaks - a phenomenal achievement - but when they lose their confidence they look like decent amateurs but not pro standard.

It's such a brutal game. No wonder some players want to quit when they keep losing. It must be a bit heart breaking to be good at the sport but go through a bad spell when you can barely make a 40 break. I wouldn't be surprised if Higgins does retire in the next few years.

I barely make a 20 break these days. That's why I quit. I blame my eye sight but its probably more my ball control.

Postby gallantrabbit

After seeing that final did anyone vote for this year? there was plenty of drama and high quality too. Aren't two lower seeds allowed to the last 4?Don't be like seeds and only use the ranking list to predict. Sport is on the day.