Topic locked

Shanghai Masters Semi Finals Discussion!!!!

Postby Wildey

So its semi final day and a surprise Jamie Burnett who makes the most of Ronnies withdrawal and reaches the Semi Finals for the first time in his 19th Pro Season......... can he win it ? or maybe Selby winning only his second Ranking Title ?

Previous Winners

2007 Dominic Dale beat Ryan Day 10-6
2008 Ricky Walden beat Ronnie O'Sullivan 10-8
2009 Ronnie O'Sullivan beat Liang Wenbo 10-5

DRAW

Order of Play

Semi Finals and Final
1st Session=7.00am
2nd Session=12.45pm

Re: Shanghai Masters Semi Finals Discussion!!!!

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:OMG EXTENSION

This was the best comment - right at the end of the last page. I was even nervous turning the page :redneck:

HE DID POT THAT BALL

but he ended up on the cushion for the black whitch he missed

Discussion now re directed HERE

So what you're saying is he did YET AGAIN exactly what I said is his major weakness and that he does in every single match he plays?

Extension on end of cue / left handed = cockerel up by way of running out of IDEAL position.

No sympathy any more from me - learn to use the rest :santa:

Postby Smart

He played the blue in such a way that the ball bounced off the top cushion and landed really awkward for the pink. Being a non rest player - he ummmmmd and aggghhhhhhhd for a while with his several extensions. Finally he took the pink to the corner pocket screwing the white to the side cushion. It bounced of the cushion, but not much, and he was left with the sort of black that should go in a very high percentage of times.

YES it was frame and match ball..............but it did not drop and I do not think it actually wiped its feet or wobbled much.............

What was even more amazing - and this was truly a match of many chokes/bottles / twitches - was the way Carter casually got down on the shot and knocked in a length of the table non-straight black to yellow pocket............... cool as you like.

The handshake that followed must of been one of such contrasting emotions ................not like someone giving out a thrashing, that was Stevens match, he choked like never before, he outdid himself. <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

StalinESQ wrote:anyone got the Carter/Selby HTH................... :chin:

2-1 to Selby

2001 UK Chamionship Qual. Carter 5-3 Selby
2003 Regal Scottish Quarter Final Carter 3-5 Selby
2007 World Championship Quarter Final Carter 12-13 Selby

I can't recall any other meetings

Postby Bourne

Yeh that's a good point, what's been the most drastic collapse by Selby in a match over the last couple of seasons, like a 3 up with 4 to play or something ? He's always the one coming from behind so to speak.

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:if Carter gets 4-1 down to Selby even in a best of 11 hes out.

He lost to Walden from 4-1 in the 2008 Shanghai Masters semis though

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:if Carter gets 4-1 down to Selby even in a best of 11 hes out.

He lost to Walden from 4-1 in the 2008 Shanghai Masters semis though

good shout could lightening strike twice :scared:

but his record in shanghai second to none on a consistent level now he needs to rubber stamp it with the trophy

this is his 3rd shanghai semi in 4 years.

Postby Roland

Yeah he lost 6-4 from 4-1 to Walden. That was a bizarre match, I remember it and couldn't figure out how he managed to lose. Obviously Walden played well, but Selby just dipped, it wasn't like he bottled it. You know how sometimes you play and you feel flat and shots that normally go in suddenly don't? It was like that.

He lost a PTC 4-3 against Lizowski from 3-1 up. But the number of times he's won from 2 down with 3 or 3 down with 4 or 4 down with 5 is the highest strike rate I think i've ever seen from anyone ever.

Selby should win tomorrow, but Carter is capable. Should be a good match.

Cope v Burnett should be a good attacking fast flowing match too. Two good semis and a good final are in store folks.

I'm currently watching Stevens v Carter recorded from earlier. Gutted that it will cut out before the decider but I'm interested to study body language knowing the comeback from 4-1 took place.

Postby kostasmad

Lol...Should have said: No worries you are in the top-16 again till you f*** it up iin the world Open in 1 week from now... Damn bottler...I hate the guy sometimes..And then i think he was such a great lad when we met...Him and Hamilton are the friendliest of snooker players I met. His good days are over though...He will make some good wins every now and then (I mean Mark Davis does after so many years)...But never chalenge the big 3...
Last edited by kostasmad on 10 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bourne

He had several chances to kill it, and good ones. Nothing he could do about Carter's century in the sixth but that was it. Match ball in the decider, he didn't even get it close. I would have had several heart failures if I was a Stevens fan over the last few years quite frankly

Postby kostasmad

Oi...that bucker Cope has erased me from his facebook friends...Does he watch this site. Damn pin end...Hope he loses all the games of the season...
Last edited by kostasmad on 10 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GJ

StalinESQ wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:hard luck matthew genuinely gutted for you

:-(

black ball choker - taking choking to a new level today :redneck: <laugh> :redneck: <laugh>

FROM YOU I CAN TAKE THAT SORT OF COMMENT AS YOUR ALWAYS LIGHT HEARTED

:)

Postby paperbackwriter

My younger sister's fav player is Ali Carter and she was at my place, when he potted the black, she was happy for a moment and then all of sudden decided she's too sorry for Stevens to actually enjoy this. I never expect him to do something so totally typical for him and he always does, gets too unreal sometimes.

My intuition is usually not there when it comes to him, but I don't think Selby will win the trophy. May beat Carter and then lose to inspired Cope (I already feel I'll be sorry for saying this after the final).