Post a reply

John Higgins may not return until next February

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ruary.html
HIGGINS MAY BE OUT UNTIL FEBRUARY
This blog can reveal that John Higgins may not return to the circuit until next February despite his suspension ending in November.

It was widely assumed Higgins would be back for the UK Championship in December following the result of the tribunal convened as a result of a newspaper sting in which he was alleged to have agreed to lose frames for money.

The match fixing and bribery charges against Higgins were withdrawn and he was found guilty of failing to report an approach to match fix and bringing the game into disrepute.

He received a six month suspension, back dated to May since when he's been unable to play professionally, and was fined £75,000.

But Higgins has missed the closing date for entries for all tournaments until the Welsh Open in February.

The entry deadlines passed in July and the WPBSA will have to decide whether or not to grant him an exception.

He will be still be suspended when the entry dates close for the remaining Players Tour Championship events.

Higgins has already lost his no.1 spot in the world rankings and would be left with just the Welsh Open, China Open and World Championship to play in this season.

The suspension will have cost him the chance to play in four ranking tournaments, the Masters, the Premier League, 12 PTCs and the PTC grand finals, a total of 19 tournaments.

Some will argue that as his suspension ends in November Higgins should be allowed to play from that point.

Others will say he has already been treated leniently for what could have been a career ending offence.

Re: John Higgins may not return until next February

Postby Roland

It seems wild was right for once.

I think the term used is cleared as in he was cleared and therefore he should be made an exception and granted a spot in the UK and Masters.

Postby Wildey

as i thought suspended players can not be included in the draws or enter events while he was under a suspension.

if the deadline passes while he is suspended that is that.

i wish i was wrong on this and i believe the ONLY Way forward on this is have a vote involving all 96 including Song (we know his vote lol)and ask their opinion on if the rules will be relaxed .

i don't think its fair that men in suites make this decision it has to be a players vote.

Postby Wildey

Hot Pot made a good point on TSF

Well i think if all charges were dropped then he should be allowed to enter , but has he was found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and was suspended at the time of registration then i dont think he should be allowed entry .

Original Source: http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board/sh ... post519528#ixzz0z9MtUvR3
TSF - TheSnookerForum.com

i think that is a good and valid point.

Why should the game he brought in to disrepute and charged for bend the rules to help him ?

it was not drop all charges was it.

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -play.html
HIGGINS CLEARED TO PLAY
Following my story yesterday, the WPBSA has decided to let John Higgins compete in any event after his suspension ends on November 1.

This means he could make his comeback at EPTC1 in Hamm, Germany on November 12 and will be eligible to play in the UK Championship and Wembley Masters.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/09/higgins-cleared-to-play.html
HIGGINS CLEARED TO PLAY
Following my story yesterday, the WPBSA has decided to let John Higgins compete in any event after his suspension ends on November 1.

This means he could make his comeback at EPTC1 in Hamm, Germany on November 12 and will be eligible to play in the UK Championship and Wembley Masters.

Yes, given its a silly rule where by a suspended player can't register. Of course this should go for any player thats suspended then cleared to play.

Postby Wildey

this will not help Higgins at all Long Term.

People will be saying its a whitewash.

Players might feel hes got off lightly a Ex player on TSF Definitely thinks that this might make that feel worst.

Me as long the ban is lifted before they play the qualifiers then i think thats fair enough.

if the qualifier is played during his ban EVEN if he wont be banned when he is in the main tournament then he is not eligible to play

Postby Casey

Some people are jumping on the bandwagon though. His suspension ends in November and the UK is a month later. Players having to register for tournaments 6 months in advance is a bit...random. It is certain that if he was not suspended he would have registered to play.

I think the rule should be amended so if it happens again the player can play if their ban is over in time.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Some people are jumping on the bandwagon though. His suspension ends in November and the UK is a month later. Players having to register for tournaments 6 months in advance is a bit...random. It is certain that if he was not suspended he would have registered to play.

I think the rule should be amended so if it happens again the player can play if their ban is over in time.

yes but it doesent help people using the corrupt card against The WPBSA when we really could have done with things being done by the book.

Postby Casey

I just read through a few different sources and John Higgins not playing in the UK & Masters was not ont even on the cards.

It would seem DH made more out of this than there was. :john:

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:I just read through a few different sources and John Higgins not playing in the UK & Masters was not ont even on the cards.

well thats a pity because i can think of plenty of 606 users that will be making a bigger deal of it now.

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:I just read through a few different sources and John Higgins not playing in the UK & Masters was not ont even on the cards.

I read through different sources that he could have been playing in the World Open if not found guilty. Well that certainly has never been on the cards because the tournament is already well under way.. I'd rather trust Dave than the average journalist.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:

I read through different sources that he could have been playing in the World Open if not found guilty. Well that certainly has never been on the cards because the tournament is already well under way.. I'd rather trust Dave than the average journalist.

ive seen no sources at all but that was never on the cards even if he was found innocent so case who the hell was your sources lol