Post a reply

ronnie's last final?

Postby Rocket_ron

do you think this will be ronnie's last final?
I gotta a feeling he's hit the wall now, like hendry did mid 2000's

Re: ronnie's last final?

Postby Roland

He'll win plenty more events but it was a significant loss on Sunday.

Postby Casey

He will certainly win the Masters again, he loves that event. However I think his World Championship winning days are over.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Just reading Dave Hendon's twitter page & he has said this....

"Willie Thorne has called for Ronnie to be banned from snooker on Facebook, which seems like something of an over reaction".

I don't know. <doh>

Postby Roland

Banned for what? Presumably walking off before Selby got the trophy. It was a very bad thing to do but banning is a bit out of order.

Does Willie Thorne really use facebook though? That is the question.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Sonny wrote:Banned for what? Presumably walking off before Selby got the trophy. It was a very bad thing to do but banning is a bit out of order.

Does Willie Thorne really use facebook though? That is the question.

My first thought too.

Dave Hendon has just said this.....

"Doubt has been cast as to whether it really is the Great WT."

Lets hope on this occasion it is an imposter. <ok>

Postby Roland

Actually I'm rather hoping it's the real WT :redneck:

Postby Casey

It might be about Ronnies foul mouthed rant at Selby in the 18th frame

Postby Smart

He has walked off before, but it certainly does not look good (Jimmy never did, nor did Davis from memory). <ok>

Lets just say he is not the greatest sport when he loses. <ok>

There is definite tension between ROS and Parrott. What was the incident that sparked that off......... 'cos I got the feeling that Parrott was enjoying the line of questioning he took post defeat for ROS (especially the question about the shot choice of cut-back green).

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Actually I'm rather hoping it's the real WT :redneck:

as if willie wants Ronnie banned for sulking <laugh>

mountain out of a molehill is being made of the incident and you know what i think its bloody fantastic for snooker we need tension between players...theres to much nicey nicey bolloxx let get players stuck in to each other a bit more.

Postby Roland

My cousin remarked to me earlier that he thought it was disgusting the way Ronnie walked off at the end and he's totally oblivious to all that's being said here and everywhere because he doesn't follow snooker, I just told him to watch the final because I knew it'd be a good match.

Postby N_Castle07

Absolutely not Ronnie’s last final I can see him winning more events. The question is “Was it his last chance to successfully defend a major?”

Postby Casey

N_Castle07 wrote:Absolutely not Ronnie’s last final I can see him winning more events. The question is “Was it his last chance to successfully defend a major?”

He probably wont, it will be April 2011 at the very earliest before he could do it. It looks like he will end his career without it :?

Postby N_Castle07

Great shame, Hendry was the last person to do it. I think the likes of Murphy, Ding and Selby will be the next to manage this feat. Unless Higgins beats them to it and does it at this years Worlds.

Postby randall

i missed the last session of the final as a i was ill. this is the first ive heard of him walking out? did he give an interview? ungracious perhaps?

Postby Roland

He gave an interview, picked up his runner up cheque and held a brisk pace out of the arena not looking back before Selby was presented with the trophy.

Postby randall

must have been galling for him but still its poor form. dont remember davis leaving in 85, then again he was probably to stunned to move <laugh>

Postby Eirebilly

excellent_rocketron wrote:do you think this will be ronnie's last final?

Nah, i think that Ronnie has a few more left in him but players like Selby (and Ebdon before him) are showing the rest how to beat Ronnie. I feel that he may not win another world titel but he will win a few of the other majors. As for Selby, I feel its not a matter of with anymore but when he will win the world titel.

Postby mantorok

Given that Ronnie doesn't even practice anymore and he's still competing I don't think he's hit the wall just yet, IMO someone with that much ability would have to be 40+ before showing signs of major downfall, besides, Ronnie has changed his tactics to stay competitive, where-as Hendry has tried to play like he always has done, and it hasn't worked out for him.

Postby Rocket_ron

mantorok wrote:

Given that Ronnie doesn't even practice anymore and he's still competing I don't think he's hit the wall just yet, IMO someone with that much ability would have to be 40+ before showing signs of major downfall, besides, Ronnie has changed his tactics to stay competitive, where-as Hendry has tried to play like he always has done, and it hasn't worked out for him.

good point mantorok <ok>

Postby The Boss

Unless i'm mistaken, Stephen Lee also left the arena a couple of years ago before the trophy was presented. Although that wasn't out of impatience, he still did and therefore any runner up is entitled to do that

As for Willie Thorne - what makes him think he knows more about snooker than the rest of us just because he's a loudmouth?

Postby Rocket_ron

The Boss wrote:Unless i'm mistaken, Stephen Lee also left the arena a couple of years ago before the trophy was presented.

I think i remember that now you have mentioned it, good point <ok>
go and tell all I am some twats on 606 that <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I would highly doubt the real Willie Thorne said this. The commentators twiddle off about Ronnie enough as it is. None of them called for Ronnie to be banned when he walked out of a match or when he started talking about his sausage at a press conference. Yet when somebody plays slowly and gets the cue ball cleaned a lot or play on in a frame when he requires a lot of snookers against Ronnie they act like it's the disgrace in sport. <doh>

Getting back to the point, Ronnie getting to the final of the Masters is as close as you can get to a dead certainty these days. And, if you count the Premier League as an event, you could beat your house and your daughter's virginity on him getting to the final, and still sleep easy.

Whether he'll win the World Championship again is a different issue, or anything else for that matter, but I would be amazed if Ronnie has played in his last final at this point of his career. The only person who seems to beat him these days is John Higgins.