Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sun April 21st) Last 32 !!

Postby Andre147

All this Maguire talk...

Dont call me negative, but MDG is right on this one... since 2015 ROS has faced opponents in the 2nd or 3rd round he had great h2h, lost to all of them.

Maguire is next. If the same old bucking story happens he might as well lose to Cahill.

Postby vodkadiet1

Dan-cat wrote:Having just checked through tonight’s thread Smart is permanently banned.

Racism of any kind will not be tolerated. This is a global site and everyone should be made to feel welcome.

Smart used to be on the old BBC site many years ago and he was always mocking people with disabilities and renowned for casual racism. Of course he had his band of 'cyber hangers on' who found him amusing. I guess he cannot help himself.

Postby TheRocket

Koninkaulus wrote:
Having said that, if he can capitalise on this, good for him. I do think even Cahill has a much better chance to beat O'Sullivan than Maguire does though. If they do meet, it wouldn't surprise me if Ronnie won with a session to spare.

Maguire is not a numpty. He can play. His record against Ronnie is poor but so was the record of the other guys who beat Ronnie at the Crucible in recent time.

The ROS fans though certainly learned their lesson and pretty sure no one would underestimate Maguire.

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:All this Maguire talk...

Dont call me negative, but MDG is right on this one... since 2015 ROS has faced opponents in the 2nd or 3rd round he had great h2h, lost to all of them.

Maguire is next. If the same old bucking story happens he might as well lose to Cahill.

I can see the pattern in what you are saying but I just don't think Maguire has the belief. He hasn't recovered from the 1st round match with O'Sullivan in 2005.

Postby Wildey

Why cant people just bucking listen.

I Dont want to come down hard on no bucker on here but i do not want hammering behaviour from sausage heads on here either ive warned people and warned people until im blue in the bucking face and im sick to buck of it.

Im going to sleep on it but tomorrow heads will roll on here believe me.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Why cant people just bucking listen.

I Dont want to come down hard on no bucker on here but i do not want hammering behaviour from sausage heads on here either ive warned people and warned people until im blue in the bucking face and im sick to buck of it.

To be fair only Smart (I think) was disrespectful, which comes as no surprise given his past behaviour on here.

But yeah comments like that will simply not be tolerated by me, Dan, Wild or any other mod. Dan banned Smart and rightly so.

Banter is great, it gives a more relaxed approach, but this is still a Snooker Forum and the biggest tournament of them all, so let's just enjoy great Snooker from the best players on the planet.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
Koninkaulus wrote:
Having said that, if he can capitalise on this, good for him. I do think even Cahill has a much better chance to beat O'Sullivan than Maguire does though. If they do meet, it wouldn't surprise me if Ronnie won with a session to spare.

Maguire is not a numpty. He can play. His record against Ronnie is poor but so was the record of the other guys who beat Ronnie at the Crucible in recent time.

The ROS fans though certainly learned their lesson and pretty sure no one would underestimate Maguire.

it does seem every year since 2014 players that you could call Ronnies Bunnies have beaten Him.

2015 Bingham
2016 Hawkins
2017 Ding
2018 Carter
2019 ?

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Koninkaulus wrote:

it does seem every year since 2014 players that you could call Ronnies Bunnies have beaten Him.

2015 Bingham
2016 Hawkins
2017 Ding
2018 Carter
2019 ?

Hopefully not Maguire to that list! :grrr:

Losing to Trump in the Quarters for instance would be a sickener BUT I could take much better than the rest.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Koninkaulus wrote:

2015 Bingham
2016 Hawkins
2017 Ding
2018 Carter
2019 ?

Personally I think it’s coincidence, but I understand the concerns.

He might not even get to face Maguire yet.

Postby PLtheRef

Here is the table following Sunday's play. Only five people went for a Wilson victory over Brecel, meaning that 5 have predicted all of their winners correctly so far. Nice_Shoes_Ken takes a two point lead following a score of 30 today (the highest on Sunday)

Day 2 Table (5/31 Matches)
40 Nice_Shoes_Ken 5 - 2
38 SteveJJ 5 - 1
34 Eraserhead 5 - 0
34 Aimlesswandeer 5 - 0
34 Pink Ball 5 - 0
34 Slowjoe 4 - 2
32 GJ 4 - 1
30 Johnny Bravo 4 - 1
30 SavoMilosevic 2WC 4 - 1
30 TheCleaver 4 - 1
30 PLtheRef 4 - 1
30 Happycamper 4 - 1
30 Dan-Cat 4 - 1
30 Cloud Strife 4 - 0
28 Alex0Paul 4 - 0
28 Andre147 4 - 0
28 Deewee 4 - 0
28 Raphael98 4 - 0
28 Holden Chinaski 3 - 2
26 Iranu 3 - 1
24 Krazeeyekilla 3 - 0
24 Sundaygirl 3 - 0
22 Lemnas 3 - 1
20 Snookerfan 3 - 0
20 Wildey 3 - 0
18 Vodkadiet 3 - 0
14 Badsnookerplayer 2 - 0

Sunday's table
30 Nice_Shoes_Ken
28 SteveJJ
28 Aimlesswandeer
28 Pink Ball
26 Eraserhead
24 Slowjoe
22 Cloud Strife
22 Johnny Bravo
22 GJ
22 TheCleaver
20 Alex0Paul
20 Andre147
20 Deewee
20 SavoMilosevic 2WC
20 PLtheRef
20 Raphael98
20 Happycamper
20 Dan-Cat
18 Vodkadiet
18 Holden Chinaski
16 Krazeeyekilla
16 Sundaygirl
16 Iranu
14 Badsnookerplayer
12 Snookerfan
12 Wildey
12 Lemnas

At some point tomorrow - I'm going to put together a post which reveals how many people went for which player in terms of matches and for the bonuses.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:

To be fair only Smart (I think) was disrespectful, which comes as no surprise given his past behaviour on here.

But yeah comments like that will simply not be tolerated by me, Dan, Wild or any other mod. Dan banned Smart and rightly so.

Banter is great, it gives a more relaxed approach, but this is still a Snooker Forum and the biggest tournament of them all, so let's just enjoy great Snooker from the best players on the planet.

Dan said he hardly saw that final frame between mags and Tian because of that rubbish christ could someone explain why are we on here? is it snooker by any chance

Postby Andre147

The first 2 years might have been a coincidence, but 4 years now?

It must be on his head if he wins and faces Maguire. But I also agree Maguire should have won that 2005 match from 9-7 up and even though he had a couple of wins since then, never the same player v O'Sullivan.

Postby PLtheRef

Maguire will be a decent test for O'Sullivan (presuming he comes through against Cahill). Ronnie knows that Maguire is someone who if Ronnie doesn't play well can turn him over (and in the case of last year, probably should have turned him over)

I would expect O'Sullivan to win with some comfort, but not by a thrashing, maybe 13-7 or 13-8.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:Maguire will be a decent test for O'Sullivan (presuming he comes through against Cahill). Ronnie knows that Maguire is someone who if Ronnie doesn't play well can turn him over (and in the case of last year, probably should have turned him over)

I would expect O'Sullivan to win with some comfort, but not by a thrashing, maybe 13-7 or 13-8.

Yes assuming he does beat Cahill I would expect a 13-8 win for him.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:The first 2 years might have been a coincidence, but 4 years now?

It must be on his head if he wins and faces Maguire. But I also agree Maguire should have won that 2005 match from 9-7 up and even though he had a couple of wins since then, never the same player v O'Sullivan.

Hawkins in particular was a freak result. He played awesome and still only just beat Ronnie, who finished with something like 95% pot success. Ronnie was screwed over by poor safety.

Postby Pink Ball

If and only IF Maguire gets a good start against O'Sullivan, and I mean the opening bloody frame, he of course has a chance. If anything, he has a better chance in a best-of-25 than a best-of-19 match. If he settles early, he could start motoring like he did last year. And with the finish line so far away, if he's in the zone, he could build up a lead big enough to overcome inevitable late jitters. Same goes for any other good players who struggle against O'Sullivan.

But if he goes 0-1 and definitely 0-2 down, it honestly could be curtains. That's how crucial the start is.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 22 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Dan said he hardly saw that final frame between mags and Tian because of that rubbish christ could someone explain why are we on here? is it snooker by any chance

Fair post. I must admit things did get out of hand somewhat tonight, and I would hold my hands up because I was responsible for a fair bit of it. Not proud of some of my antics I have to say, and if a ban is forthcoming I will take that on the chin without complaint.

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:If and only IF Maguire gets a good start, and I mean the opening bloody frame, he of course has a chance. If anything, he has a better chance in a best-of-25 than a best-of-19 match. If he settles early, he could start motoring like he did last year. And with the finish line so far away, if he's in the zone, he could build up a lead big enough to overcome inevitable late jitters. Same goes for any other good players who struggle against O'Sullivan.

But if he goes 0-1 and definitely 0-2 down, it honestly could be curtains. That's how crucial the start is.

he went 6-3 up last year and lost.

I'd say he needs something like a 5-3 lead or better to settle himself.

But I think we can discuss this further once ROS beats Cahill haha.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Fair post. I must admit things did get out of hand somewhat tonight, and I would hold my hands up because I was responsible for a fair bit of it. Not proud of some of my antics I have to say, and if a ban is forthcoming I will take that on the chin without complaint.

Not from me, but be careul with some of the things you say. I don't want you to get banned and always liked you here.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Ditto.

I don't think my offence re calling Muppet 'Julian' was the worst offence of the night or even close, or even my worst offence of the night. To be honest, I really dislike his posting style, and I make no apologies for having a go at him. He has done far worse in his time here.

But I certainly lit the touch paper that led to things getting out of hand thereafter, for which I am sorry.

If I get a ban, I can have no complaints, and I'd take it on the chin.

Postby Iranu

Iranu wrote:FWIW I don’t think Cloud should be banned. He owned his error and deleted the offending post when called out on it.

Same goes for Pink Ball. Personal opinion, he didn’t do anything ban worthy.

One poster’s opinion.

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:If and only IF Maguire gets a good start, and I mean the opening bloody frame, he of course has a chance. If anything, he has a better chance in a best-of-25 than a best-of-19 match. If he settles early, he could start motoring like he did last year. And with the finish line so far away, if he's in the zone, he could build up a lead big enough to overcome inevitable late jitters. Same goes for any other good players who struggle against O'Sullivan.

He did, but even when you get to six or seven in a best of 19, the winning line starts coming into view. If that had been a best of 25, who knows, he might have had a big second session as well, and it could have been 11-5. Tough even for O'Sullivan to overcome. Who knows? Ifs, buts, maybes, but certainly possible.

I always felt Ding's best chance of taking him was at the World Championship, provided he made a good start. I was proven right two years ago. The same criteria applies to Maguire.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:

As long as he doesn't have a garbage session somewhere along the line he should be fine against Maguire.

If you look back at the last couple of years against Ding and Carter, it's the second session where Ronnie seemed to implode and let the match get away from him. And even before that against Bingham and Hawkins, it was the second session out of the three where he seemed at his weakest.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:FWIW I don’t think Cloud should be banned. He owned his error and deleted the offending post when called out on it.

I agree, for what it's worth, which probably isn't much. Cloud made a stupid mistake but at least showed genuine remorse and acted on it.

Postby Koninkaulus

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Deewee wrote:
aimlesswandeer wrote:How many mainland Europeans have qualified for the Crucible, never mind won a match? Helgason doesn’t count as Iceland isn’t in mainland Europe. There is Maflin Georgiou and Hull who are all English anyway, and Luca and that may be it.

Hull was born and raised in Finland and has lived there his whole life. The rest of them sure

I wonder why Konninklaus is not a Robin Hull fan?

Well, Sadsnoopyslayer, Robin being Finnish is not a good enough reason for me to be a fan of his. I don't passionately support Finnish athletes in any sport. I may wish they do well if I find them likeable, but that's about it.

I don't particularly dislike Hull, but he's not the kind of player I'm excited to watch and I haven't seen anything in his personality that would make me actively root for him either. I have to say that I wasn't following snooker when he was at his best though.

In recent years, Hull has occasionally done some guest commentary for Finnish Eurosport during the World Championship. Not horrible at that, but quite...grumpy, I guess.

One year I remember hearing him on Eurosport was 2016. During the semi-final, McManus was seen shaking his head in his chair while Ding was compiling a break. I don't know what your local commentators said about that (if anything), but Robin was very critical of Angles. Sarcastically said something like "Nice attitude this guy has!" etc. The criticism itself was perfectly valid in my opinion, because as much as I like McManus that was a rather weird thing to do. Hull's bluntness did make me wonder if there were some old issues between him and Angles, but I know nothing about that.

Edit: Deewee, Robin was born and raised in Finland but I believe he lived in London for over a decade. Doesn't make a difference in the discussion you were having of course.
Last edited by Koninkaulus on 22 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.