Post a reply

John Higgins to Return to Circuit

Postby Roland

This statement from his QC Ian Mill:

Mr Higgins has admitted acting in breach of Rules 3.1.5.1 and 3.1.4.4 (Charges 3 and 4).
The Association has withdrawn Charges 1 and 2.

The Association has explained that this withdrawal resulted from an acceptance, following an investigation which all concerned have correctly characterised as very thorough and fair, that Mr Higgins had truthfully accounted for his words and actions at the meeting in Kiev on 30 April, selected extracts from which subsequently were widely publicised.

In short, his account (which has remained consistent throughout) was as follows. Mr Higgins found himself in that meeting having only just beforehand been warned by Mr Mooney that there was a possibility (nothing more) that the subject of throwing frames might arise as part of the overall business discussions that were about to commence.

Without any opportunity for mature reflection Mr Higgins, who is by nature someone who seeks to avoid confrontation or unpleasantness, decided to play along with the discussion when the topic did indeed arise. He also found the atmosphere in the meeting somewhat intimidating. His focus was entirely on bringing the meeting to an end as soon as possible and getting on a plane home. He would never throw, and had no intention at that meeting of throwing any frame, of snooker for reward.

I have no doubt that the Association was right to conclude that this account by Mr Higgins was a truthful one.'

Of Higgins's conduct and in deciding on the appropriate punishment, Mill said:

'Mr Higgins was put in a highly invidious position by Mr Mooney, who was entirely responsible for Mr Higgins’ presence in Kiev and, in particular, at the meeting there on 30 April. Mr Higgins can be criticised for the way in which he chose to respond to the situation in which he found himself.

However, I do not consider, in the circumstances that any very serious sanction should follow from his admitted breach of the Rule referred to in Charge 3. More serious is his failure to comply with his obligations under Rule 3.1.4.4 (Charge 4). There was an opportunity, albeit a relatively limited one, for him to have reported the Kiev incident to the Association prior to the News of the World story breaking.

He should have taken the opportunity to do so. Very fairly, Mr Higgins has also stated that he is unclear whether he would have reported the incident had the publicity not occurred. Mr Higgins did not, of course, know that the businessman at the Kiev meeting were undercover journalists. On the basis that they intended what they said, it was obviously a matter of the greatest importance to the integrity of the sport of snooker that those intentions were immediately reported.

Mr Higgins’ failure in this respect was extremely foolish. In mitigation, Mr Clancy SC on his behalf reminded me of his client’s exemplary record both in terms of achievement and conduct, and of his role as an ambassador for the sport. I very much bear these matters in mind. But I also consider that with such a status come particular responsibilities to other players in the game, to the Association, to its sponsors and to the viewing public to ensure that the Association’s Rules bearing on the peculiarly sensitive subject of gambling and corruption are strictly adhered to. Taken with the other Charge which he has admitted, it seems to me that his conduct in failing to report the incident immediately warrants a short suspension from his membership of the Association and from the playing rights that his membership affords him. In my judgment, the proper length of such suspension is one of 6 months. Since he was suspended by the Association pending the outcome of the investigations on 2 May 2010, the period of his suspension will end at midnight on 1 November 2010.

I also consider that Mr Higgins should suffer a financial sanction. Having considered the gravity of the admitted rule breaches and heard from Mr Clancy as to his client’s financial circumstances, I consider that he should pay a fine of £75,000 and make a contribution to the Association’s costs of £10,000. Paragraph 10.2 of the Association’s Disciplinary Rules requires any fine to be paid within 28 days. In the circumstances, I do not consider it reasonable or appropriate that Mr Higgins should have to pay such an amount within this short period. I consider that a period of 90 days is appropriate. On behalf of the Association, Mr Bourns has accepted that it is open to me so to order.

Source http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... dings.html

Re: John Higgins to Return to Circuit

Postby Casey

So he is INNOCENT, in fact the WPBSA withdrew the frame fixing charge following an investigation and the tribunal have said they believe his account of intimidation was true.

Higgins on SSN now confirms that sports resolution and the WBPSA thought his account of intimidation was true

HIGGINS :D

Up yours to his doubters

Postby Roland

Welcome back JH :D

All time great snooker player and very likeable bloke to boot. Justice :D

Postby Bourne

JOHN HIGGINS: THE PLAYER
Only John Higgins knows for sure how much he knew and what his intentions were when he went into that hotel room in the Ukraine but his decision to discuss match fixing with people he didn't know has cost him the reputation he worked so hard to earn.

The WPBSA and Ian Mill QC have believed his version of events and he will be back playing in November.

However, involvement in a story like this is not forgotten and Higgins knows many will remain unconvinced by his account of events.

Higgins got into snooker when his father, John senior, took him and his brothers to a local club.

He displayed talent for the game but nothing that suggested he would be a world beater until, at 15, Alan McManus took him under his wing and improvements rapidly followed.

In January 1991, still a few months from his 16th birthday, Higgins beat Ronnie O'Sullivan and Mark Williams in winning the junior title at the World Masters in Birmingham.

All three turned professional the following year and would soon come to dominate the sport.

Higgins won his first ranking title at 19 when he beat Dave Harold in the final of the 1994 Grand Prix.

He quickly became the first player to win three ranking titles as a teenager and captured the World Championship for the first time in 1998.

Higgins spent two years as world no.1 before being replaced by Mark Williams.

In 2001, he won the first three titles of the season and then became a father for the first time.

Coming from a close family, he took to fatherhood to the extent that his focus on snooker became less intense and he suffered a few fallow periods in the years that followed.

But there were great moments too, few better than his stunning 64 clearance to win the deciding frame of the 2006 Wembley Masters final against O'Sullivan.

When Higgins first won the world title everyone - himself included - assumed he would win it again. It put him under pressure and he failed to reach the quarter-finals for four straight years until beating mark Selby 18-13 in their 2007 Crucible final.

Then in 2009 he beat Shaun Murphy 18-9 to win it for a third time.

His capture of the Welsh Open crown last season gave the Scot his 21st ranking title.

Included in that haul are two UK Championships and he has also won the Masters, the game's premier invitation title, on two occasions.

As a person Higgins is open, friendly and has been a good ambassador for the sport as snooker fans who have met him will attest to.

Higgins is one of the greatest players of all time but his biggest battle will be to rebuild his reputation, which is battered and bruised despite today's verdict

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... layer.html

Postby SnookerFan

:ba: :ba: :ba: Yeah, Roy!

Isn't he still suspended for a few months though? Six months? If it's backdated to May, then he should still be off for a few more months?

Postby Casey

It would also see their follow up story was a load of crap after the WPBSA never brought a charge against him for it.

Postby The Cueist

Great news :D :D Good stuff and with some disciplinary ban still to do. ;) <cool>

I beleive John will learned his lesson well,About staying away from unsavoury characters.

To all you doubters out there,Have that. :bird: :bird:

Postby Casey

The WPBSA issue a statement to SSN - they confirm John's innocence of match fixing to the point they withdrew the charges :D :D

Postby The Cueist

Ill advised is what it all looks like now,By Mooney,Not enough time for John to know what to do.

Common sense has prevailed.

I hope he does well on his return as Sonny points out he is a gret player and a nice bloke to boot. :D :D <cool>

HERE'S TO JUSTICE :dance: :dance: :dance: :D :D :D

Postby Bourne

davehendon Higgins will be free to play again at the European Players Tour Championship event in Hamm, Germany on November 12
2 minutes ago via web

Postby Roland

The WPBSA have issued the following statement following the John Higgins tribunal:

A hearing under the auspices of Sport Resolutions UK on September 7 and 8, 2010, heard of charges which John Higgins admitted through his lawyers before the hearing. The charges were 1. Intentionally giving the impression to others that he was agreeing to act in breach of the betting rules, though it was accepted that he had no intention of throwing any frame of snooker for reward. 2. Failing to disclose promptly to the Association full details of an approach or invitation to act in breach of the betting rules

Having studied all of the evidence in its entirety, the WPBSA and Sports Resolutions accept that there has been no dishonesty on the part of John Higgins and accordingly the WPBSA has withdrawn the allegations of match fixing against him.

The judgement from Sport Resolutions was that John Higgins was banned from all World Snooker tournaments for six months, starting from the initial suspension on May 2, 2010, and ordered to pay a fine of £75,000 plus costs of £10,000.

The WPBSA referred the matter to the independent body Sport Resolutions following a Disciplinary Committee investigation into allegations made against John Higgins in the News of the World newspaper on May 2, 2010.

John Higgins has agreed to play a leading role in a new educational programme for snooker players, which will form part of the Integrity Unit to be set up by WPBSA Disciplinary Committee Chairman David Douglas.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: “John made a mistake in failing to report the meeting in Kiev. He has admitted this mistake and expressed great regret at what happened. The evidence, which has been exhaustively studied by David Douglas and Sport Resolutions, suggests that he was led into this situation and did not instigate any discussions of corrupt activity. It seems certain, in view of his previous record and the ambassadorial work he has done for snooker, that this was a mistake he will never repeat. I’m sure Sport Resolutions took these factors into account in coming to their verdict.

“The new educational programme will teach players, particularly the new professionals coming into the game, about the pitfalls associated with betting and make clear the standards expected by the WPBSA. John has suffered a devastating blow to his career and reputation, but he can come back from it – and he has pledged to help others learn from his experiences. The programme will be a key part of the Integrity Unit’s goal to proactively address any form of corruption and make our sport a standard bearer for sports integrity. Today’s outcome is a positive step towards this goal and, with the support of all the players, I fully believe that it will be achieved.”

WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson added: "I am pleased to see this matter concluded in an open and transparent fashion, after a hearing staged by an independent body. I look forward to the creation of the anti-corruption unit, which will be in operation very shortly and will give the WPBSA the best possible assistance in our ambition to eliminate all forms of corruption from our sport. It is important now that snooker moves forward from this matter and focuses on the successful new era which has formed in recent months."

John Higgins was suspended immediately after the allegations were made public. His six-month ban is considered to have started from the date of his initial suspension in May 2010.

Pat Mooney has been permanently suspended from the WPBSA following the hearing.

The hearing heard of charges of 1. Intentionally giving the impression to others that he was agreeing to act in breach of the betting rules. 2. Failing to disclose promptly to the Association full details of an approach or invitation to act in breach of the betting rules

In summary, Mr Mill QC said: "Mr Mooney’s conduct is, in my judgment, of a completely different order of seriousness....I was unimpressed by Mr Mooney as a witness and I found much of his account highly implausible....he committed the most egregious betrayals of trust - both in relation to the Association, to which he owed fiduciary obligations as a Director and by reason of his great influence in the world of snooker, and to Mr Higgins whose entire career and professional future he inexplicably put at serious and wholly unjustifiable risk."

The WPBSA referred the matter to Sport Resolutions following a Disciplinary Committee investigation into allegations made against Mooney in the News of the World newspaper on May 2, 2010.

Source - http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ement.html

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Can I just say first please......"Forgive me darling for opening up a cold beer this early in the day".

To the rest of you good Snooker folk out there, who were strong enough to hold onto their own convictions these past few months & not veer from their original thoughts on the man before any of this happened, I say......Cheers. <ok>

:dance:

Postby The Cueist

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Can I just say first please......"Forgive me darling for opening up a cold beer this early in the day".

To the rest of you good Snooker folk out there, who were strong enough to hold onto their own convictions these past few months & not veer from their original thoughts on the man before any of this happened, I say......Cheers. <ok>

Well said John , <ok> Cheers mate. <ok>

Postby Casey

thetubberlad wrote:I respect the decision.

<ok>

Better reaction than some (mention no names)

The evidence was that strong from John the WPBSA withdrew their frame fixing charge. irrefutable decision.

Postby Roland

606 is a disgrace. What is it with certain sections of snooker fans? Some of them seem gutted. pin ends.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:606 is a disgrace. What is it with certain sections of snooker fans? Some of them seem gutted. pin ends.

Given how many beatings John dished out to Ronnie last year it doesn't surprise me some of his fans are raging.

Postby SnookerFan

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Can I just say first please......"Forgive me darling for opening up a cold beer this early in the day".

Nice one John.

I will be having a beer tonight myself. Providing the taping of the snooker hasn't ballsed up again, I will be watching this afternoon's matches. :ba: (Nobody tell me the results, I don't know them.)

I will drink to Higgins, and I will drink to John. Who is doing the same thing. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

case_master wrote:
Sonny wrote:606 is a disgrace. What is it with certain sections of snooker fans? Some of them seem gutted. pin ends.

Given how many beatings John dished out to Ronnie last year it doesn't surprise me some of his fans are raging.

They will have to accept it, the decision has been made, whether they agree with it or not.

Postby Casey

SnookerFan wrote:

Nice one John.

I will be having a beer tonight myself. Providing the taping of the snooker hasn't ballsed up again, I will be watching this afternoon's matches. :ba: (Nobody tell me the results, I don't know them.)

I will drink to Higgins, and I will drink to John. Who is doing the same thing. <ok>

All this said though, its highly unlikely Higgins will reach the same standard again.

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:So he is INNOCENT, in fact the WPBSA withdrew the frame fixing charge following an investigation and the tribunal have said they believe his account of intimidation was true.

Higgins on SSN now confirms that sports resolution and the WBPSA thought his account of intimidation was true

HIGGINS :D

Up yours to his doubters

<laugh> rofl

Unbelievable ...................in fact yes he did look threatened drinking Vodka and asking if his Spanish property mortgage could be paid off.

Dodgey John <ok>

Postby Roland

"Very fairly, Mr Higgins has also stated that he is unclear whether he would have reported the incident had the publicity not occurred."

Honest John <ok>

Postby Monique

andreiolay212 wrote:Great news for snooker, If I was him i would sue those clowns at NOTW.

If I was him, I would sue Pat Mooney. Pat Mooney was his manager and as such was supposed to act to the best of his interests, not to betray him and drag him into such a story. The tribunal findings show that Pat Mooney is indeed guilty. I don't like the NOTW but they would suppose that John Higgins was at least aware of what was going on when coming to Kiev; they had no reason to suppose otherwise.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
andreiolay212 wrote:Great news for snooker, If I was him i would sue those clowns at NOTW.

If I was him, I would sue Pat Mooney. Pat Mooney was his manager and as such was supposed to act to the best of his interests, not to betray him and drag him into such a story. The tribunal findings show that Pat Mooney is indeed guilty. I don't like the NOTW but they would suppose that John Higgins was at least aware of what was going on when coming to Kiev; they had no reason to suppose otherwise.

True Monique but it would seem that Mooney doesn't have the £25k that the tribunal fined him so Higgins will get little return.

Higgins would certainly have grounds to sue over the follow up story regarding betting on the world final.