Post a reply

Old players commentating

Postby snakehipsx2

Is it just me that gets seriously annoyed with commentators like Virgo?

It seems to me that they just don't see the attacking shots that today's players do. (When I say see I mean before they play them) Virgo particularly annoys me when he goes into great detail about the "only shot on" being a straight forward safety when it is obvious that there are pots available. His (and other ex players) main problem seems to be pots to middle pockets, it is almost as if he thinks the only time the middle bags should be used is to pot the blue.

Anyway, mini rant over. I'm not as into my snooks these days as I used to be but would be interested to read what those more informed than me think.

Re: Old players commentating

Postby Roland

The ex-players definitely waffle on too much and it's certainly about time Taylor, Thorne and Virgo gave way to a new batch of commentators.

"Where's the cueball going?"

When was the last time you heard that from Virgo and the white actually ended up in the pocket? 1995 I think.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Sonny wrote:The ex-players definitely waffle on too much and it's certainly about time Taylor, Thorne and Virgo gave way to a new batch of commentators.

"Where's the cueball going?"

When was the last time you heard that from Virgo and the white actually ended up in the pocket? 1995 I think.

Dennis Taylor wrecks my head, genuine. Comes across as this nice guy but I experienced a not so nice guy back in the 90's when I went to the WPBSA player of the year awards. Admittedly, I bought 3 mates with me, one a pools winner, one a DJ & the other a carpenter who could put together a good J. I knew the WPBSA TD at the time & got 4 tickets, went, & Mr.Taylor went & asked who we were & did we have the necessary credentials to be there. We were busy knocking back the champers at the time so just laughed it off.

Going back to his commentary, he brought Patsy Fagan into the equation Saturday night after JV (Top Bloke who came over & shook our hands after & had the cráic with us at the same gig) brought up Ron Gross Snooker Centre, which was where I practiced. Dennis Taylor said he got £15 for doing exhibitions there & Patsy got a score. No Dennis, your telling a pork pie there as Ron Gross didn't pay anyone for playing there. The reason the Top Pro's went in there was because there was always a top player to practice with, either a Pro or a top amateur, always.

He came out with another last night which escapes my mind at the mo, but when it does pop back into my nut, I'll share it on here.

Postby Roland

I've always felt that with Taylor it's a front with the nice friendly bloke appearance. You can tell he's one of those sorts who doesn't like to see black people become a member of his golf club. <laugh>

Postby Casey

I like Thorne, he has a good breakbuilding game and he isn't afraid of criticising the players. I would get rid of Virgo and Taylor, keep the rest.

Postby Bourne

I think they're all great apart from Doherty. Not only does his accent irritate me but he doesn't add a whole lot, he's a bit 'state the bleeding obvious'. Better as a pundit.

Postby snakehipsx2

Interesting early reactions chaps. :D

Bourne, your comment about Doherty isn't something I'd have picked up myself but is something I level at a few of the darts pundits / ex-players. I sometimes think they all assume they are talking to people who've never played the game and that they're the only ones who know what's going on.

I kind of like Willie Thorne and probably didn't give him the credit he deserves .... I still chuckle when I recall his "There's Stephen Hendry's son Blair, he's got a stutter you know? .... errr. .... errr. ... no he hasn't at all he can talk just fine, can't you Blair? he's a lovely young lad" :huh:

Postby Bourne

WT is awesome, love his references to the betting lol, he's uses the betfair forums actually.

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:I think they're all great apart from Doherty. Not only does his accent irritate me but he doesn't add a whole lot, he's a bit 'state the bleeding obvious'. Better as a pundit.

Bourne I don’t think you will be welcome in Dublin with comments like that <laugh> <laugh>

Postby Bourne

case_master wc wrote:
Bourne wrote:I think they're all great apart from Doherty. Not only does his accent irritate me but he doesn't add a whole lot, he's a bit 'state the bleeding obvious'. Better as a pundit.

Bourne I don’t think you will be welcome in Dublin with comments like that <laugh> <laugh>

Maybe but I wouldn't know what they were saying to me so I probably wouldn't feel offended

;)

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Bourne wrote:
case_master wc wrote:

Maybe but I wouldn't know what they were saying to me so I probably wouldn't feel offended

;)

Not sure Ken Doherty should be described as old?

Dublin is a kicking spot Bourne, a great city. If you ever frequent it, let me know. <ok>

Postby Wildey

john dont take this the wrong way but you went to the WPBSA player of the year awards.

isnt that a bit like the canteen lady going to the NTA :redneck:

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I make a fine cup of Tea.

john it really was a joke mate please do not take it personal <ok>

Postby Dr Magus

I can't believe the BBC dumped Clive Everton to make way for Ken Doherty. Not only is his accent extremely irritating but he's dull and adds nothing to the game. And he looks like a Bond villain.

Postby Eirebilly

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
Bourne wrote:
case_master wc wrote:

;)

Not sure Ken Doherty should be described as old?

Dublin is a kicking spot Bourne, a great city. If you ever frequent it, let me know. <ok>

Surely you cant be serious John <laugh> West is the best <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Dennis Taylor wrecks my head, genuine. Comes across as this nice guy but I experienced a not so nice guy back in the 90's when I went to the WPBSA player of the year awards.

When I got Steve Davis' autograph at The Crucible, I jokingly asked if he'd make it seven this year, and he got really pissy with me. A couple of years later, my mate was saying that his dad hate Steve Davis, as he'd been a bastard when he met him. I was like; "Yeah! Same to me."

All jokes on TV, but not much of a sense of humour in real life, perhaps?