Superior player

prime Jimmy White
64%
prime Judd Trump
36%

Total votes : 14

Jimmy White vs Judd Trump match up

Postby TheRocket

A very intersting hypothetical match up between two players who are very similar in terms of style of play. Both obviously left handers as well.

Trump is at a stage now where's he has had the same amount of success Jimmy White had. Winner of 10 ranking titles and winner of the Masters and UK. Just like Jimmy.

Assuming a prime White and prime Trump would have played in the same era. Who would have had the edge in their H2H battles. What do you think? Who would be the superior player? I guess most will say Trump

Re: Jimmy White vs Judd Trump match up

Postby Cloud Strife

I went for White.

Trump probably edges the tactical side of things. Potting wise, they are about equal. And although the numbers won't show it, Jimmy was a far better breakbuilder than Trump, his cueball control was vastly superior.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:I went for White.

Trump probably edges the tactical side of things. Potting wise, they are about equal. And although the numbers won't show it, Jimmy was a far better breakbuilder than Trump, his cueball control was vastly superior.

Nicely put, although I’m not sure we’ve seen prime Trump yet. I think he will improve further.

Postby The_Abbott

Have to go with Prime White, Not only does it paint well on walls, Jimmy actually won a decent number of trophies despite bottling 6 world titles. Trump always seems to get unstuck by a McLeod or Plod.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:It is an interesting question but I am surprised at the opinions. On what evidence base would White be considered better?

Well he has the same number of ranking tournaments plus 5 more World finals.

Postby Godot

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:It is an interesting question but I am surprised at the opinions. On what evidence base would White be considered better?

Less ranking tournaments in those days though.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Godot wrote:
Iranu wrote:

In a prime vs prime debate, who has won the most is a little irrelevant. Besides,both are pretty much equal in terms of ranking events won, yet Trump has another 10+ years at the top. I think it's safe to safe he'll easily exceed White.
Plus, like Pinkey said, Trump is just beginning to enter his prime.
I've said this already, u people need to leave nostalgia apart. Yes, Jimmy was the people's champ, yes, he's a way nicer guy, but Trump wins. He's got a far superior all round game.

Postby TheSaviour

But for a while it has looked that Ben Woollaston has all the England´s sharpness.

Brezel and Ben are doing very well indeed. Both Jimmy and Judd are slightly passed it. So I don´t find a reason trying figure this out.

But do remember; ONLY TWO hours is the best efforts any given huge promise has been able to hold. That´s the realistic scale we are working with.

Always much better not to even make any promises than to give and just always fully unable to keep any of those.

Ronnie is just working with his experince (which aboviosuly works very well indeed), while Brezel and Ben are the current real deals. I am sure both Judd and Jimmy also must understand that if fancing to make a further major impacts.

The Crucible countdown could come down to a Ronnie-Selby hiding a cue ball after some heavy grinding (which is what it always does require) - contest. Mark Selby´s still got ability in him, I need to admit that. And Ronnie has too. So even Selby´s hopes to lift a further title are not completely unreal. Indeed aren´t. Even when particularly Luca has clearly overtook him. In terms of many things. Ben has that out of this planet sharpness to play those absolutely flawless cannons, but there still are some flaws and mistakes. Not many but possible some. Which can and still at the moment should cost him.

But they have been able to took it more easy at the streets. Which is great. So still some walking prospects, after all. But do remember that maximum only TWO hours they have been able to hold it together. But this one could and obviously should a different story. All the nice inventions should carry them. And even their absolute muppet bodylanguages does suggests that; they just don´t have that sharpness to drive a car. Just bring on those 3 years olds also, as no harm done. Such a nice inventions. I am mainly talking about the cars now.

But so sadly, to me, the massively infamous jackets and shirts - spamming still very much on. Can´t understand that at all, it´s not fair, you know. Just try to use the colours you would be using even without me, and I would find it all fair too. Not much fun, fair or even realistic when so amny naturally absolutely muppets and clowsn argues to be just like you or me when putting just the same colour of a jacket or a shirt on.

But so, some great news and some really once again depressing and I would argue that daft ones.

At some point the people would just have to admit that there are such thing as facts which just won´t be disappearing. And they just need to stop bothering me with all those competely unsensible people and persons. I am not any interested about their company.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Godot wrote:
Iranu wrote:

In a prime vs prime debate, who has won the most is a little irrelevant. Besides,both are pretty much equal in terms of ranking events won, yet Trump has another 10+ years at the top. I think it's safe to safe he'll easily exceed White.
Plus, like Pinkey said, Trump is just beginning to enter his prime.
I've said this already, u people need to leave nostalgia apart. Yes, Jimmy was the people's champ, yes, he's a way nicer guy, but Trump wins. He's got a far superior all round game.

That's kind of my feeling too.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:

So Fred Davis better than Jimmy?

It is like the GOAT argument as it is unanswerable.

The more I think about it the more I think people who say Jimmy was best are way wide of the mark.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

The more I think about it the more I think people who say Jimmy was best are way wide of the mark.

Not saying I agree with it, but you asked for evidence and I provided some.

I think Judd would probably win. Other 80s players could maybe tie Judd in knots and beat him but Jimmy’s not that type of player and the game’s moved on so I’d expect most top players to beat prime Jimmy.

I also think it’s a silly question.

Postby SnookerFan

I actually think Iranu makes a decent point. The Fred Davis example doesn't work, because he wasn't playing in the World Championships under it's current format.

Jimmy and Judd both have. And though ranking event wins aren't particularly relevant in a prime vs prime discussion, they can be used as a determining factor if the hypothetical match-up is close.

Apart from the 2011 final and the 2013 semi, Judd hasn't had great runs at The Crucible. White was at least getting to the final consistently.

Saying that, I still think it's Judd. I think he's just about to enter his prime now. That's hypothetical on my part, and nothing more than a feeling.

That and I think the standard is higher now, than in the days Jimmy was winning. So I'd say prime Judd probably beats prime Jimmy. I'd certainly be amazed if Judd's achievements don't outstrip Jimmy's by the end of their careers.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

:goodpost:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote: Other 80s players could maybe tie Judd in knots and beat him

pmsl rofl rofl rofl
Except for Davis and Jimmy, none of the 80's players can live with him. Judd could probably play right handed and he'd still beat some of them. <laugh>
At his best, Judd mops the floor with the 80's dudes. So do all the top players from nowadays.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote: Apart from the 2011 final and the 2013 semi, Judd hasn't had great runs at The Crucible. White was at least getting to the final consistently.

Judd is only 29 now. At this age, Jimmy only had one extra world final. And in a WEAKER era.

SnookerFan wrote: Saying that, I still think it's Judd. I think he's just about to enter his prime now. That's hypothetical on my part, and nothing more than a feeling.
That and I think the standard is higher now, than in the days Jimmy was winning. So I'd say prime Judd probably beats prime Jimmy. I'd certainly be amazed if Judd's achievements don't outstrip Jimmy's by the end of their careers.

<ok> :spot on:

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:

pmsl rofl rofl rofl
Except for Davis and Jimmy, none of the 80's players can live with him. Judd could probably play right handed and he'd still beat some of them. <laugh>
At his best, Judd mops the floor with the 80's dudes. So do all the top players from nowadays.

Maybe. But 80s players were master tacticians.

Considering how Judd struggled against McLeod, I’d like to see him cope with a slew of players who are just as slow and way better at safety.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

pmsl rofl rofl rofl

Considering how Judd struggled against McLeod, I’d like to see him cope with a slew of players who are just as slow and way better at safety.

What are they gonna do ? Win frames just by hoping Judd fouls and they make a few points ? <laugh>
He's lightyears in front when it comes to potting and breakbuilding.
Stephen Hendry proved that unless your opponent can score heavy, u will win most matches.
Hendry was a average safety and tactical player compared to the 80's dudes, yet he beat the crap out of them. So would Judd. :-D ;-)

Postby Cloud Strife

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thread isn't about which of them is going to go on and have the better career, as obviously that's going to be Trump at this point. It's about the match-up between their peak versions.

I don't think it's as clear cut in Judd's favour as some are making it out to be. There are aspects of Jimmy's game that are better than Trump's, such as his cueball control. You also have to keep in mind that Jimmy went toe to toe with peak Hendry and twice came within a whisker of beating him. I think he could beat Trump.

Postby Cloud Strife

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

pmsl rofl rofl rofl

What are they gonna do ? Win frames just by hoping Judd fouls and they make a few points ? <laugh>
He's lightyears in front when it comes to potting and breakbuilding.
Stephen Hendry proved that unless your opponent can score heavy, u will win most matches.
Hendry was a average safety and tactical player compared to the 80's dudes, yet he beat the crap out of them. So would Judd. :-D ;-)

How many world titles did Hendry win in the 80s?