Post a reply

Re: Higgins Thorburn Argument

Postby Johnny Bravo

Selbo's ancestor did indeed nominate the green, but the ref was probably too old to hear it.
I don't know if Higgins did hear it or not, but even if he did, given that he was behind, u kinda understand why he wouldn't admit it.

Postby Wildey

I Remember Watching that when it happened.

Thorburn obviously to you and Me said Green the Audience herd it i think though its a bit unfair to say Alex heard it and lied about it.

You can only hear what you hear not hear what everyone else wants you to hear.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:I Remember Watching that when it happened.

Thorburn obviously to you and Me said Green the Audience herd it i think though its a bit unfair to say Alex heard it and lied about it.

You can only hear what you hear not hear what everyone else wants you to hear.

Worst thing is the ref didnt hear, well he really should have, and since he couldnt hear he should have asked Cliff instead.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Isn't the normal procedure that the ref answers the player? When the player says 'green ball', the ref confirms it and also says 'green ball'? The ref didn't say anything so Thorburn should have known he didn't hear him.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:Isn't the normal procedure that the ref answers the player? When the player says 'green ball', the ref confirms it and also says 'green ball'? The ref didn't say anything so Thorburn should have known he didn't hear him.

yup exactly

Cliff was at fault thats very unusual when Alex Higgins is on the scene lol

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Although you are both right that is the convention, I do not believe there is anything in the rules to that effect.

There is no need to declare in the same way there is no need to declare every time you take on a normal black or other ball.

If the ref is unsure, he should (I believe) ask the player to nominate.

The ref was incorrect at least by the current rules.

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Although you are both right that is the convention, I do not believe there is anything in the rules to that effect.

There is no need to declare in the same way there is no need to declare every time you take on a normal black or other ball.

If the ref is unsure, he should (I believe) ask the player to nominate.

The ref was incorrect at least by the current rules.

The rules have changed since then

Back then if the ref put the Colour back on the wrong spot it is infact a foul the player had to make sure everything was correct the ref couldnt interfere with that.

Now its different and rightly so

Postby gallantrabbit

I would normally back anyone against Higgins for this type of argument, but the funniest thing is when Thorburn bans Higgins from using his extension at the end :-D
Reminded me of me and my brother...when we were 5 and 6...

Postby Badsnookerplayer

gallantrabbit wrote:I would normally back anyone against Higgins for this type of argument, but the funniest thing is when Thorburn bans Higgins from using his extension at the end :-D
Reminded me of me and my brother...when we were 5 and 6...

rofl

It was a bit childish.

He should have deliberately left shots that needed the extension