Post a reply

Re: XingPai China Open Last 64 Plus Held Over Matches !!!

Postby TheRocket

I'm not sure if Allen has made a good decision here in terms of the Crucible. He's fifth in the rankings atm which means he'd be in the easier (top) half of draw with Selby,Trump,Robertson and Ronnie being in the other half.

If Trump got to the semis though he'd surpass Allen as the number five seed. I think thats gonna happen. Someone like Robertson or Wilson could surpass Allen as well but they would have to win the China Open.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:I'm not sure if Allen has made a good decision here in terms of the Crucible. He's fifth in the rankings atm which means he'd be in the easier (top) half of draw with Selby,Trump,Robertson and Ronnie being in the other half.

If Trump got to the semis though he'd surpass Allen as the number five seed. I think thats gonna happen. Someone like Robertson or Wilson could surpass Allen as well but they would have to win the China Open.

I wonder how much players actually think about this sort of thing.

Maybe he just backs himself to beat whoever he is drawn against?

I certainly think if you start worrying too much who you might play down the line, it can harm confidence.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I'm not sure if Allen has made a good decision here in terms of the Crucible. He's fifth in the rankings atm which means he'd be in the easier (top) half of draw with Selby,Trump,Robertson and Ronnie being in the other half.

I wonder how much players actually think about this sort of thing.

Maybe he just backs himself to beat whoever he is drawn against?

I certainly think if you start worrying too much who you might play down the line, it can harm confidence.

Good question. But I agree that players shouldnt worry too much. If you want to be World Champ you should be capable of beating anyone.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Good question. But I agree that players shouldnt worry too much. If you want to be World Champ you should be capable of beating anyone.

Well, that's the thing.

And if you start thinking; "Oh no I might have to play Ronnie, Trump or Selby....." You are already giving a mental edge to those players, before you play them. It's like you're convincing yourself you'll struggle to beat them.

I'm sure it crosses people's mind, they are human after all. But at the same time, I'd doubt many of the top players would go into the China Open worrying about what their seeding for The Crucible looks like. Much better to worry about who you'll have to beat in Sheffield when you arrive in Sheffield.

Postby SnookerFan

Vallomas wrote:I also think that Trump and everybody else, want to win the China Open because it's a valuable Tournament, not because they have in mind that they will climb on the rankings.

I do think that there are fans that make more out of this than the players do themselves.

Not having a pop at the fans who like to speculate as to who might play who at The Crucible. It's just, I'd surprised if players even thought about it this much in advance.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Regarding the draw during the World Cup last year Belgium and England played in the final group game and neither team made much effort because they were both through and whoever finished second had a better draw in the knockout rounds.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Regarding the draw during the World Cup last year Belgium and England played in the final group game and neither team made much effort because they were both through and whoever finished second had a better draw in the knockout rounds.

It wouldn't amaze me if they were thinking about that sort of thing in football.

I doubt they put to much thought into it in snooker though. If they did, Mark Allen wouldn't have pulled out.

Postby HappyCamper

In the football, with the old ranking rules, there were some teams that gamed the system to boost their rankings, and get better seedings for qualification. Romania and Wales used to do this.

Though that was more general than specific matches.

Postby Andre147

I'd be suprised if the players here, especially the top ones, were thinking about who plays who at The Crucible. They just want to win this massive prize money event.

The ones who will be thinking about Crucible are those placed 15th, 16th or a little lower with the chance of getting there directly. But that's all.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:I'd be suprised if the players here, especially the top ones, were thinking about who plays who at The Crucible. They just want to win this massive prize money event.

The ones who will be thinking about Crucible are those placed 15th, 16th or a little lower with the chance of getting there directly. But that's all.

There's some that will care about their ranking, but none about their seeding. If that makes sense.

Postby fridge46

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:If No. 67 Zhao Xintong wins the China Open, he would be in the top 16.

That would be pretty funny seeing him as a seed at the Crucible.

It would be even funnier to see him at the China Open considering he lost in qualifying!

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:It looks as if Dominic Dale (#66) is the lowest-ranked player who could qualify for the WSC by winning the China Open.

Ain't he retiring at the end of the season?

I'd love him to go out that way.

Me too. His path to glory in China will probably require him to beat Mark Selby in the first round...

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:It looks as if Dominic Dale (#66) is the lowest-ranked player who could qualify for the WSC by winning the China Open.

Ain't he retiring at the end of the season?

I'd love him to go out that way.

Depends on his ranking I think. If he falls off tour I think he’ll retire.

He’s been pimping himself out for commentary so he’s definitely considering it seriously.