Post a reply

Can Judd win the WC this time?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

After numerous disappointing campaigns, can Judd build on his recent improvements and capture the world crown?

For my part, I have been heartened by his improvements but would not want to stake a large sum of money on him winning in Sheffield. I am still not confident of his ability to dominate lower ranked players and keep his focus.

I hope he does though as his talent should definitely earn him the top prize.

Re: Can Judd win the WC this time?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:For my part, I have been heartened by his improvements but would not want to stake a large sum of money on him winning in Sheffield. I am still not confident of his ability to dominate lower ranked players and keep his focus.

I agree with this.

Judd definitely has all the talent, and he has clearly worked hard on improving his all-round game.His safety game has improved a lot and so has his attitude. He does tend to perform badly against lower ranked players sometimes, so this could be a problem. Also in his last match against Ronnie, he did choke a couple of times in the final frames and couldn't get over the winning line despite having several chances... So, it wouldn't surprise me to see Judd win the world championship this time, but the number one favourite for me is Ronnie.

Postby Iranu

Not this year, no.

I can see him getting to the semis/final this year and then going on to win it next year.

Postby eraserhead

He can but the worlds is it’s own thing. Has the ability and attitude right now, missing out on the one table setup would be a disappointment after the way he’s been playing this season.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

eraserhead wrote:He can but the worlds is it’s own thing. Has the ability and attitude right now, missing out on the one table setup would be a disappointment after the way he’s been playing this season.

I think that is the challenge - getting to the one table set up.

I think I would be more confident of him winning from there than I would be confident of him actually getting there

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
eraserhead wrote:He can but the worlds is it’s own thing. Has the ability and attitude right now, missing out on the one table setup would be a disappointment after the way he’s been playing this season.

I think that is the challenge - getting to the one table set up.

I think I would be more confident of him winning from there than I would be confident of him actually getting there

I think he’s had the all round game to win it since 2015 but now he looks more determined. The masters is a boost as he’d never been to a final before this year, now he’s won it.

The only person i’m confident in getting to the one table is Hawkins and I’m sick of that.

Postby gallantrabbit

His game and head are up a notch. Until last week he had a wee hold on Ronnie, but I think it was a blip. He still pots incredible balls but there is more to him than potting these days and he has developed an all round game. Sometimes still wants to force the pace and these days, with his safety game, he doesn't need to. Certainly one of 4 or 5.

Postby SnookerFan

He has the ability to win it. So he can win it in that sense.

But this has been true for several years. Just because he can win it, doesn't mean he will.

In February, I'd have told you that this was Judd's best form coming into The Crucible in some years, but think Ronnie has pipped him as the form player now.

Anything can happen.

Postby TheRocket

Going by form you have to say he's the second best player of this season. You could even argue best alongside Ronnie. So from that point of view his chances are better than ever.

But we all know sometimes your form doesnt mean anything going into the WC. Things could change rapidly once you enter the Crucible. More pressure due to being the favourite and stuff like that. A journeyman who suddenly plays out of his skin in the 1st round. A bad draw and whatever.

There's just no guarantee.

Postby Andre147

I think it would be fitting if the 2 best players of the season met in the Semis, just like in 2013.

I'm expecting ROS to have to play 2 of them, either Selby, Trump or Robbo to reach the Final.

Ronnie's biggest challenge is also reaching the one table, something he hasnt been able to do for 5 years now.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:I'm expecting ROS to have to play 2 of them, either Selby, Trump or Robbo to reach the Final.

Ronnie's lifetime records are 2-0 against Robertson, 1-0 against Trump, and 0-2 against Selby at the Crucible

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I did not know that he had never beaten a Selby at the big one.

It's true, WN1 has never beaten Mark or any other Selby at the Crucible

Postby Badsnookerplayer

D4P wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I did not know that he had never beaten a Selby at the big one.

Ha ha. I see what you mean. That is very clever.

Postby D4P

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
D4P wrote:

Ha ha. I see what you mean. That is very clever.

WN1 has a 2-1 edge over Mark at the UK, and a 3-1 edge at the Masters

Postby Cloud Strife

I think the draw will be important for Judd. As long as he can avoid the likes of Rory McLeod and Stuart Carrington, he has as good a chance as anyone IMO.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:I think the draw will be important for Judd. As long as he can avoid the likes of Rory McLeod and Stuart Carrington, he has as good a chance as anyone IMO.

The thing with Judd is, this is actually true.

Postby Alex0paul

As long as he wins each mini session 3-1 or his opponent still needs 2 frames then he can win the title