Post a reply

Re: Coral Tour Championship Final !!

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:The WSC seedings are subject to change, but as it stands now Ronnie would probably have to beat 2 of Neil Robertson, Trump, and Selby just to make it to the final. That's a tall order...

But in the last few weeks, he's beaten Trump in a multi-session match and Robertson in two. In fact, the Trump win and the second Robertson won were only a few days apart.

It's a tough draw, but it's hardly beyond him.

:goodpost:

Postby Dan-cat

He scraped past Judd by a hair's breadth!!

The fact that he can bung two frames on the tally with two total clearances in about 15 minutes though... that was like putting Judd on the canvas. I'm gonna watch that match again. Did anyone see that clip of the boxer Sam Maxwell who was losing, had been on the floor twice, and then in the last ten seconds - while his French opponent was showboating and exposing his chin, goading him, thinking he'd won - knocked him flat out. That was like the final black that Ronnie took to win. Outstanding. Here it is: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/o ... oxing-bout

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:He scraped past Judd by a hair's breadth!!

The fact that he can bung two frames on the tally with two total clearances in about 15 minutes though... that was like putting Judd on the canvas. I'm gonna watch that match again. Did anyone see that clip of the boxer Sam Maxwell who was losing, had been on the floor twice, and then in the last ten seconds - while his French opponent was showboating and exposing his chin, goading him, thinking he'd won - knocked him flat out. That was like the final black that Ronnie took to win. Outstanding. Here it is: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/o ... oxing-bout

Yes I did see that. And I have watched the Judd match again as well. Last frames are amazing.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:He scraped past Judd by a hair's breadth!!

To be fair, he did beat Judd by probably the narrowest margin that anybody has ever won a sporting contest. But he still won. Will he get as lucky with some of the pots Judd missed last time should they play again? Possibly not.

But we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that this was a one-off, or some kind of fluke. If anything it proved Ronnie still has it in him to beat Judd in a multi-session match after January. (Which was only something that needed proving to a small minority of snooker fans.)

Besides, we don't even know for sure that they'll play. Judd got knocked out by Rory McLeod last year. Plenty of snooker to play before then.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:The WSC seedings are subject to change, but as it stands now Ronnie would probably have to beat 2 of Neil Robertson, Trump, and Selby just to make it to the final. That's a tall order...

But in the last few weeks, he's beaten Trump in a multi-session match and Robertson in two. In fact, the Trump win and the second Robertson won were only a few days apart.

Exactly. He’s just beaten the number 2 and 3 form players of the season and now there are people saying he needs to avoid them.

If anything they need to avoid him.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Exactly. He’s just beaten the number 2 and 3 form players of the season and now there are people saying he needs to avoid them.

True. They should be more scared of him than he of them.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

True. They should be more scared of him than he of them.

I don’t think Sullivan is scared of Trump, and I see no reason why he should be. Yeah, Trump will beat him from time to time, but that’ll happen even Ronnie against very good players.

I don’t think Trump is scared of Sullivan and I see no reason why he should be. Sullivan is the greatest ever, but Trump has proven himself a formidable opponent to Sullivan. I do fear though that last week’s result could swing momentum back in Sullivan’s favour for a few matches. Very topsy-turvy rivalry.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker can be a strange game sometimes.

Trump atm is probably the biggest threat to ROS given he's arguably the only player you have to say who can outscore Ronnie over a longer match.

But on the other hand Selby and even Robertson can be a bigger challenge mentally. Simply because you'd expect a lot more scrappy and tactical frames. So that match requires a lot more energy.

Whoever wants to get through that bottom half of the draw will need a lot of stamina. Thats for sure.
Last edited by TheRocket on 26 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Erza Scarlet wrote:The final saw a peak of 1.2 million viewers. I think that's the highest of any of these ITV events

It's almost as if the multi-session matches that people have been crying out for, were what people had been wanting to watch.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:The final saw a peak of 1.2 million viewers. I think that's the highest of any of these ITV events

It's almost as if the multi-session matches that people have been crying out for, were what people had been wanting to watch.

Absolutely. Way more drama / stories in a long match.

'Sports needs stories!' Bazza Earn

Postby Erza Scarlet

SnookerFan wrote:It's almost as if the multi-session matches that people have been crying out for, were what people had been wanting to watch.

I like multi-session matches and this tournament has been my favourite of the season along with Players Championship and it's quiet ironic Ronnie won the first ever non Crucible multi-session tournament since 30 years or something but not every tournament can be multi-session matches, that's not feasible at all due to logistics, prize money and players would be absolutely drained resulting in crap matches.

Imagine a Home Nation event offering multi-session matches for a flat 128 draw with a 70k prize money offer vs Tour Championship with a 8 man tour offering 150k prize money. It'd be ridiculous.

You have to have a balance so I don't mind some tournaments having best of 7s, best of 11s (this is the ideal session), etc because the level of difficulty has to be based on the prize money.

Postby Iranu

I think most tournaments should have multi-session semi finals, logistics permitting.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Erza Scarlet wrote:I like multi-session matches and this tournament has been my favourite of the season along with Players Championship and it's quiet ironic Ronnie won the first ever non Crucible multi-session tournament since 30 years or something but not every tournament can be multi-session matches, that's not feasible at all due to logistics, prize money and players would be absolutely drained resulting in crap matches.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking shorter matches are for entertainment rather than logistics.

Postby SnookerFan

Damn, just weighed myself after my week off. It's really cacked up my weight, which still hadn't got in proper order since New Year.

Definitely better cut down on the beer until The Crucible now. All this travelling to snooker, then taking weeks off to lie on your sofa and watch it are catching up with me. rofl