Post a reply

Who is the greatest long potter of all time ?

1. Neil Robertson
12%
2. Mark J. Williams
15%
3. Judd Trump
4%
4. Shaun Murphy
No votes
5. Stephen Hendry
62%
6. Other (please state)
8%

Total votes : 26

Greatest long potter of all time.

Postby Johnny Bravo

So, the question needs no explanation. Discuss. :-D

Although I'm a huge ROS fan and although his long potting has been great in recent years, I don't see him as the best of all time in this department. My vote goes to Robertson.
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 28 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Greatest long potter of all time.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:Prime Hendry?

Option 5: other. :spot on:

IMO prime Hendry was good, but I don't think he stacks up to the 4 I mentioned. Also, there are some shots that guys like Robbo or Trump can play and Hendry couldn't.

Postby TheRocket

Tough to answer.

If you only consider peak level or peak ability it's Ronnie. At his best he can even surpass the likes of Robertson or Trump.

But he also has many days or lets say off days where he can miss almost every long ball. Even by a mile. Thats why no one really rates him as the greatest long potter.

Postby Andre147

Depends...

Hendry used to pot them for fun and go on to make frame winning breaks.

Depends on your definition of greatest... in terms of difficulty, MJW and Trump can pot any long ball on the table, however Hendry was more consistent back in his heyday.

So it depends really what way you look at it...

Postby Alex0paul

D4P wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:What’s the longest pot ever?

Any of Peter Ebdon's

Superb

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:Depends...

Depends on your definition of greatest... in terms of difficulty, MJW and Trump can pot any long ball on the table, however Hendry was more consistent back in his heyday.

Problem with Williams is. He doesnt have the cue power to go for the long straight ones and screw back like a Robertson or Trump could. So Williams has a disadvantage from that point of view.

But he might be the best ever in terms of these quarter or half ball long reds where the white is obviously naturally going back to baulk.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:Depends...

I'm talking about any type of long pots.
Those were u have the natural path back to baulk by using 2 cushions are the easiest and almost all top players can make those.
I was talking more about tough long ones where u have to screw back the white the entire length of the table or those were u have to compensate with side, etc.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Under pressure, and I mean extreme pressure, Hendry in his prime was still able to pot crazy long reds AND get perfect position on the black. Judd is one of the best long potters but under extreme pressure he loses his touch. When Ronnie's playing his A game, he's up there with Hendry. Robbo is just as good as Trump, but under pressure he's like Trump as well.

I go for Hendry.
Last edited by Holden Chinaski on 19 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheSaviour

All those techno songs are great where they say that "miles off" or "a million miles away". Heard a one yesterday. Certainly reminds me of Stuart Bingham. He´s such a break-builder with a very unique style. Such a sharp shooter. But still then, and nothing away from Bingham, but he´s still a bit of a bottler.

Well they all are. If the heavy pressure just gets creeping in.

So I don´t find a reasonable way to measure how great long potter they are. The statictics tells only mostly about their opponents, crowds, meaning what kind of a pressure there has been on.

Stuart´s a great lad and he´s so good that it doesn´t even do any damage when he´s missing perhaps one or two easy frame balls during a big final... But still, his tendencies just still are there.

Interesting to see if Ronnie actually today fails against Stuart. Because I would finally see that result as a major change. Stuart´s break-building currently is so good that Ronnie might not find a way to get better of it. And when that particularly is the reason of a possible loss TO RONNIE, then that´s the first time I personally gather it would be the case, and that Ronnie is finally going down.

Many players these day posses a slight problem. They can´t get over it. I mean they just can´t be alone. Never. Such a same.

But the music is still there. The music is still there, and the game of a snooker. I found this particular sport such a great one, as there is that "miles off" or "a million miles away" - thing easy to spot on. AND when you do spot it, it means that they actually are great thinkers. You can´t miss both. You know. They just need to be very mature and great thinkers when those efforts are miles away. That´s why I love both snooker and tennis. Easy to spot something like that, and when using you´re own brains a little, such an easy to gather something rather not so mathematical.
Stuart Bingham´s a great lad, and look quite phenomal. A very unique, also.

I am personally all about new innovations, anti-maths, anti-gansters, healthy jealously, low-profile, anti-ZidaneS. And slightly still such a so on... When most of the people are just joking something about the narcissism, I actually can make it real; talking just to yourself (which does explain a lot lol), can´t "find" or "see" him (me) at the streets and so on..). So I don´t know which long potter would suit best to me. Not Stuart Bingham, I do know that. Not Ronnie either. Not Murphy. Judd probably, if I would have to nominate a one. Judd, Hendry, Williams are all right up there.

Ronnie did get better of Hendry´s break-building. Eventually. But today he finally might run against a wall.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:Under pressure, and I mean extreme pressure, Hendry in his prime was still able to pot crazy long reds AND get perfect position on the black. Judd is one of the best long potters but under extreme pressure he loses his touch. When Ronnie's playing his A game, he's up there with Hendry. Robbo is just as good as Trump, but under pressure he's like Trump as well.

I go for Hendry.

It's not about who's the best under pressure, it's about who's the best, regardless of the circumstances.
So if we were to take all these guys and put them to pot different types of long pots, who would come out on top.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Shaun Murphy is here but not Hendry.

I’m going outside to scream.

Johnny wasn’t there, so it didn’t happen

Although I wasn't physsically there, I did get to see a lot of his matches from the early 90's. He made some great pots, but Robbo and Trump have more types of long pots in their arsenal.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Dan-cat wrote:Trump in that case, if this is a fantasy situation.

Yes, that's what I was talking about.
About a year ago I made a poll about who's the best under prrssure, Trump and Robbo weren't among the poll options, Hendry was. But that was something else. This is just about long potting ability.

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Under pressure, and I mean extreme pressure, Hendry in his prime was still able to pot crazy long reds AND get perfect position on the black. Judd is one of the best long potters but under extreme pressure he loses his touch. When Ronnie's playing his A game, he's up there with Hendry. Robbo is just as good as Trump, but under pressure he's like Trump as well.

I go for Hendry.

It's not about who's the best under pressure, it's about who's the best, regardless of the circumstances.
So if we were to take all these guys and put them to pot different types of long pots, who would come out on top.

Robertson imo. He has the precision and the cue power to play all types of long pots. Successfully. Trump is up there as well obviously but Robertson has the better cue action.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:

I go for Hendry.

Even in that case, I'm still not sure Trump or Robbo would be better than prime Hendry. Maybe.