Post a reply

Re: Coral Players Championship Semi Finals !!

Postby Iranu

Homophobia is defined as:

dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

The fact that it includes the word "phobia" is irrelevant to its definition.

Postby Ash147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Thanks. Agree with your sentiment but right or wrong most people don't think about it that way.

Most people don’t think.

A lot of people have an irrational aversion to gay people. That is just a fact. Those people don't think.

I would imagine it is a small amount of people who suffer from such a condition, but I’ve not looked at the numbers. As I’ve previously stated, anyone who has the misfortune to suffer from any mental health problem that impaires their reasoning capabilities should be treated with compassion.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:Homophobia is defined as:

The medical field would disagree with that. A rational dislike of something is not a phobia. I take extreme opposition to the use of the word homophobia, as it doesn’t accurately describe what it says it does.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ash147 wrote:Yes I thought they were both fantastic, although I have a slight preference for Atalas Shrugged. They have certainly helped me to see a different side of things that’s not offered in the mainstream, and needless to say have influenced my views on certain issues. I am 26.

I have also read those, and others like The Romantic Manifesto, Anthem, and The Virtue of Selfishness. I think she was an interesting person and she can be inspiring for young people. But as you grow older you sort of see things in a different way. More nuanced. More compassionate. I'm 34. I read Rand when I was in my early twenties. It's good that you're reading. I hope you will read a lot more. I suggest Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy. But there are many great ones. Hemingway is brilliant as well.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:

The medical field would disagree with that. A rational dislike of something is not a phobia. I take extreme opposition to the use of the word homophobia, as it doesn’t accurately describe what it says it does.

The medical field would not disagree with the dictionary definition of homophobia. But you already know this, you're just being contrarian.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

The medical field would not disagree with the dictionary definition of homophobia. But you already know this, you're just being contrarian.

Speak to any mental health expert in the field, as I have done. I know people who have or currently have phobias of one description or another. Someone choosing to behave in a certain way is not classified as a phobia. There are many things I might be wrong about, but this isn’t one of them.

Postby Ck147

What's the name of the phobia for joining a forum on a particular subject and then getting taken off into a totally different subject?

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

Speak to any mental health expert in the field, as I have done. I know people who have or currently have phobias of one description or another. Someone choosing to behave in a certain way is not classified as a phobia. There are many things I might be wrong about, but this isn’t one of them.

I have a close relative with a severe phobia. I'm perfectly clear on what a medical phobia is, thank you very much.

That has no bearing on the definition of homophobia. You say language matters but you're arguing with the dictionary.

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I am terrified of developing a phobia. Is there a name for this condition?

Phobiaphobia. Most people with GAD will experience this. It’s horrible.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Ash147 wrote:

I have a close relative with a severe phobia. I'm perfectly clear on what a medical phobia is, thank you very much.

That has no bearing on the definition of homophobia. You say language matters but you're arguing with the dictionary.

Then you are well aware what a phobia is. The term homophobia shouldn’t even exist, or if it does it should accurately portray those who have an irrational fear of homosexuals. The term phobia has no place being near someone who makes the decision to dislike homosexuals. It gives those who can control their behaviour a free pass, and it denegrates anyone with an actual phobia.
Last edited by Ash147 on 10 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

That's a matter for debate, Ash. But there are plenty of words that contain words, or parts of words, that aren't directly related to them.

That doesn't change what the definition of homophobia is, or that the word you used is homophobic.

Arguing that based on linguistics is a little disingenuous to be fair.

Postby Ash147

vodkadiet wrote:Anyone who goes out of their way to mention that someone is gay or might be gay is homophobic.

Says the least tolerant person on this planet. If someone doesn’t conform to your narrow ideological points of view, you want them dead.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:That's a matter for debate, Ash. But there are plenty of words that contain words, or parts of words, that aren't directly related to them.

That doesn't change what the definition of homophobia is, or that the word you used is homophobic.

Correct!

For example, 'homophobia' contains the word 'mop' but has nothing to do with handheld capillary water retention devices.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:That's a matter for debate, Ash. But there are plenty of words that contain words, or parts of words, that aren't directly related to them.

It still shouldn’t be called a phobia, it’s just not accurate. I’m not someone who’s easily snake hissed off about linguistics, but this one is just not right. Anyone who is genuinely homophobic should not be sharing the name of their condition with someone who chooses to hate gay people.

There’s too many of these bull terms that have been made to describe a few people who behave like the runts that they are.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ash147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:oooooh!

You should change that before Wildey's wife checks the posts later

I think it was her that banned me before. :no:

Dunno about that but you should give Wild some respect man. If it weren't for him we would not have a forum.

He banned me but he was fair about it and he is just trying to protect this place.

Postby Ck147

Is there a phobia for being in fear of an Internet thread? Threadophobia? Interwebthreadophobia?

Jeez, I'm getting scared of responding to this thread now, is there a phobia for that? Replyiophobia?

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:oooooh!

You should change that before Wildey's wife checks the posts later

I think it was her that banned me before. :no:

Dunno about that but you should give Wild some respect man. If it weren't for him we would not have a forum.

He banned me but he was fair about it and he is just trying to protect this place.

There’s many people here who could run this site better than Wildey. He knows what I think about him. I’ve said it to him once, and I have no problem saying it to him again.